Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT500

vinorange

I just thought I may as well add a little thread about the much talked about Tech 21 VT 500.

I had been tinkering with valve amps, longing for the warmth and grind that only tubes can give you - or can they? I tried an Ashdown Little Bastard but didn't like it as the tone is very limited. Next was a little stubby which was better but still oddly lacking. Next in was an Eden E300T which was much more like it but then I got tempted by a Laney Nexus 400w tube (all the while the internal walls were starting to deteriorate with the increase in grown up watts). The Eden had to go as the tonal options from the Laney are amazing - as it is itself. However I do find that I need to tinker with the controls for different basses; my 1980 Rick, my Shuker jazz and my bitsa P bass.

Needing instant tonal gratification I decided to try the Tech21 VT500 and at £250 for a 500w 3kg head why not?

It is fantastic and to such an extent that the other amps are going on the market (including my Eden Metro combo). All 3 of the basses sound brilliant through it without being processed or sounding the same and without having to alter any settings. They each retain their own character which is always a worry with a vintage Rick going through modern amps. The controls are really nifty too. The character dials from flip top to typical SVT to the left and to a fiery driven modern sound to the right (not for me thanks....) The 3 band eq is powerful too, being active you get boost and cut. The drive control is nicely controllable but it's the bite that adds that little extra that cuts through the mix. there's also a blend control to mix dry signal with processed signal. I'm pairing it with a highly efficient Barefaced cab so the 500w at 4 ohms is plenty.

All in all it has all the zing I like, it doesn't need much to get a wonderful tone, it weighs 6 pounds and is astonishingly good value for money.

• Like 5

On 26/01/2022 at 18:46, vinorange said:

I just thought I may as well add a little thread about the much talked about Tech 21 VT 500.

I had been tinkering with valve amps, longing for the warmth and grind that only tubes can give you - or can they? I tried an Ashdown Little Bastard but didn't like it as the tone is very limited. Next was a little stubby which was better but still oddly lacking. Next in was an Eden E300T which was much more like it but then I got tempted by a Laney Nexus 400w tube (all the while the internal walls were starting to deteriorate with the increase in grown up watts). The Eden had to go as the tonal options from the Laney are amazing - as it is itself. However I do find that I need to tinker with the controls for different basses; my 1980 Rick, my Shuker jazz and my bitsa P bass.

Needing instant tonal gratification I decided to try the Tech21 VT500 and at £250 for a 500w 3kg head why not?

It is fantastic and to such an extent that the other amps are going on the market (including my Eden Metro combo). All 3 of the basses sound brilliant through it without being processed or sounding the same and without having to alter any settings. They each retain their own character which is always a worry with a vintage Rick going through modern amps. The controls are really nifty too. The character dials from flip top to typical SVT to the left and to a fiery driven modern sound to the right (not for me thanks....) The 3 band eq is powerful too, being active you get boost and cut. The drive control is nicely controllable but it's the bite that adds that little extra that cuts through the mix. there's also a blend control to mix dry signal with processed signal. I'm pairing it with a highly efficient Barefaced cab so the 500w at 4 ohms is plenty.

All in all it has all the zing I like, it doesn't need much to get a wonderful tone, it weighs 6 pounds and is astonishingly good value for money.

I’ve read good things about these for a while, although I believe they’re now discontinued? Did you get yours new for £250 in some sort of close out deal? 

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’ve read good things about these for a while, although I believe they’re now discontinued? Did you get yours new for £250 in some sort of close out deal? 

Good old eBay 2nd hand but in perfect condition. I’ve watched 2 recently and they both sold for under £300.

• Like 1