Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz American 1975 Re-Issue and Darryl Jones Skyline

Linus27

Just thinking about my perfect jazz bass and I have always loved the look of the Fender Jazz American 75 re-issue in natural with block inlays and its kind of the bass I would work up to owning oneday if the need for a good jazz was required. However, I am hearing great things about the Lakland Darryl Jones Jazz bass and wondering how they compare. Having played OBBM's one, it felt and sounded great. Plus, being a Lakland Duck Dunn owner, I am very impressed with the quality and customer service from them.

Can anyone shed any light on these two basses, especially the Fender. I currently own a Fender Classic Jazz Mexican 70's re-issue which is a superb bass and this would go if I got one of the other basses. However, how much better is the Fender Amercian 75 RI Jazz and how does it all compare to the Darryl Jones.

Just interested in opinions and thoughts really.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='456448' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:29 PM']Just thinking about my perfect jazz bass and I have always loved the look of the Fender Jazz American 75 re-issue in natural with block inlays and its kind of the bass I would work up to owning oneday if the need for a good jazz was required. However, I am hearing great things about the Lakland Darryl Jones Jazz bass and wondering how they compare. Having played OBBM's one, it felt and sounded great. Plus, being a Lakland Duck Dunn owner, I am very impressed with the quality and customer service from them.

Can anyone shed any light on these two basses, especially the Fender. I currently own a Fender Classic Jazz Mexican 70's re-issue which is a superb bass and this would go if I got one of the other basses. However, how much better is the Fender Amercian 75 RI Jazz and how does it all compare to the Darryl Jones.

Just interested in opinions and thoughts really.

[/quote]Hey Linus..

Well i have the USA 75 RI, and to really honest for the money you can pay less and get a MIJ/CIJ 75 RI,, IMHO they are just as good...I love my 75 but i wasnt blown away by the quality of it.(it is very solid though) .Although the tone is very very good..I just dont think the USA is worth anywhere near twice as much as its MIJ?CIJ counterpart!!!!!!

I have a CIJ 62 RI and its just as good, if not better than the USA 75 quality wise..
I havent played the DJ, (made in Japan i think, not sure) but have heard the quality is more consistent with Lakland basses...

I personally think mass produced basses made in Japan are SO well made....There attitude towards consistent quality is great...This is why Roger Sadowsky goes to them for his Metro series!

Hope this helps..

Edited by bubinga5

I have an American '75 reissue (bought from Marcus - top bloke) and I have to say it is brilliant. Before I played it I was a bit unsure about the 3 bolt neck fixing (but it has been rock solid) and a natural finish had never been my favourite - but I feel a bit different now.......

I keep trying other basses but haven't come across anything that feels as good as this one. I know japanese stuff can be pretty good (I have a Japanese St*at) - and i haven't tried the japanese '75 reissue - but they would have to be pretty amazing to come close to this one.

Finish is really good, not fantastically light but a very 'tight/focused' sound and really good to play.

I think Guitar Guitar in Newcastle have one and they are not cheap new, and you don't see many second hand ones - but definitely worth a shot if you can find one. Mine might be just a particularly good one (you were right, Marcus) but that applies to most instruments.

SOTW

Hi Linus, I've had quite a few jazzes & the best quality one was the Japanese Marcus Miller signature by a country mile. The Lakland Skylines (especially the DJ's & JO's) feel a too lightweight & little insubstantial to me, but they are really nice basses to play. MartTheBass had a lovely DJ5 that won me over instantly. It nailed the classic jazz tone 110%.

If I was spending my own money on a jazz I'd go for one of the 'super-jazzes' like a Sadowsky Metro in natural Ash with maple neck. Nice :)

While I think of it, have a look at OHM's Lakland JO on the for sale pages. The Jo is another really nice bass - Quite narrow string spacing for a four-stringer, but surprisigly nice to play.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Although not publicised, last year Lakland did a limited run (25?) of natural finish Skyline DJ4s with black block inlays just like the one they did for Adam Clayton. Very tasty. A BCer has one. They come up for sale occasionally.

[quote name='obbm' post='457139' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:26 AM']Although not publicised, last year Lakland did a limited run (25?) of natural finish Skyline DJ4s with black block inlays just like the one they did for Adam Clayton. Very tasty. A BCer has one. They come up for sale occasionally.[/quote]

Now that, would be my dream bass, I would love to get one of those. Going to be difficult if only 25 were made.

Thanks for everyones input.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='457129' date='Apr 8 2009, 10:17 AM']Hi Linus, I've had quite a few jazzes & the best quality one was the Japanese Marcus Miller signature by a country mile. The Lakland Skylines (especially the DJ's & JO's) feel a too lightweight & little insubstantial to me, but they are really nice basses to play. MartTheBass had a lovely DJ5 that won me over instantly. It nailed the classic jazz tone 110%.

If I was spending my own money on a jazz I'd go for one of the 'super-jazzes' like a Sadowsky Metro in natural Ash with maple neck. Nice :)

While I think of it, have a look at OHM's Lakland JO on the for sale pages. The Jo is another really nice bass - Quite narrow string spacing for a four-stringer, but surprisigly nice to play.

Rich.[/quote]

Its interesting that you mention the classic jazz tone. I know what the precision tone is but what is the jazz tone, or the classic jazz tone? Can you give me any reference or some ideas of things to listen to. My ESP Jazz sound amazing as does my Fender Jazz but no idea if they are making the clasic jazz tone.

[quote name='PapillonIrl' post='457264' date='Apr 8 2009, 12:20 PM']Just out of interest...does anybody know what other jazz-style basses are made with a natural finish, with maple neck, black scratchplates and black blocks ?

(Tell me if this is OT, OP ?)[/quote] Maybe Sandberg.....Alot of the custom makers will do this...Shuker for one...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='457200' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:23 AM']I think it's down to people's favourite jazz sound - I like Tal Wilkenfeld's Sadowsky jazz sound, for instance. Have a listen to this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA[/url][/quote]Well, feck me. :)

• 4 months later...

Just want to update this thread. I have owned a Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones for a good few months now and generally been very happy with it. The build quality is excellent. You can't fault it in anyway and it looks superb. It also sounds really nice. The neck is nice and thin and pretty flat and the bass hangs well. Its a great sounding and playing jazz bass. However, there has also been a few things that I have not been so happy about. Yes it sounds very nice, but the tone is also very deep. Very bass heavy and I have always struggled to get a bit of sparkle out of it. I even got a comment at my first gig with it saying it sounded really nice but it needs to cut through more and this was with me trying to cut through. The other issue with it is its a very rigid bass. I have an ESP Jazz bass which seems to flex and move with you as a player. It feels soft to play and moulds into you. The Lakland feels really stiff and rigid and does not seem to flex. I feel like I am attached to a pole. Its also very heavy at about 10lbs.

I have just recently got an Fender American 75 Re-Issue jazz and it is a totally different bass to the Lakland. Sound wise it is excellent. Lots of attack, punch and sparkle. It still has the bottom end but a much more balanced sound compared to the lakland. Its also very light or much lighter than the Lakland. It has a very different shape neck and feel which seems to be more to my liking. It also feels flexible and softer to play and I felt at one with it from the word go. Fel wise, it reminds me very much of my 1977 Fender Precision which was my favourite bass ever. However, quality wise, its not a scratch on the Lakland. It looks rough and ready and nowhere near the quality of the Lakland. It really does look like a workhorse.

So when it comes down to it, both basses are excellent but very different. Tonally and feel, the Fender just suits me better. I would not say the Fender is a better bass, not by a long shot. I would probably go as far as saying the Lakland is a better bass but it has some characteristics that just don't suit me. This is a real shame as I love the Lakland and its a top bass but it does not suit me and I may consider selling it. I never thought this would happen as I love the Lakland brand but I'm not sure I will play her. The Fender just feels right and suits me tonally.

[quote name='Linus27' post='591944' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:40 AM']Just want to update this thread. I have owned a Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones for a good few months now and generally been very happy with it. The build quality is excellent. You can't fault it in anyway and it looks superb. It also sounds really nice. The neck is nice and thin and pretty flat and the bass hangs well. Its a great sounding and playing jazz bass. However, there has also been a few things that I have not been so happy about. Yes it sounds very nice, but the tone is also very deep. Very bass heavy and I have always struggled to get a bit of sparkle out of it. I even got a comment at my first gig with it saying it sounded really nice but it needs to cut through more and this was with me trying to cut through. The other issue with it is its a very rigid bass. I have an ESP Jazz bass which seems to flex and move with you as a player. It feels soft to play and moulds into you. The Lakland feels really stiff and rigid and does not seem to flex. I feel like I am attached to a pole. Its also very heavy at about 10lbs.

I have just recently got an Fender American 75 Re-Issue jazz and it is a totally different bass to the Lakland. Sound wise it is excellent. Lots of attack, punch and sparkle. It still has the bottom end but a much more balanced sound compared to the lakland. Its also very light or much lighter than the Lakland. It has a very different shape neck and feel which seems to be more to my liking. It also feels flexible and softer to play and I felt at one with it from the word go. Fel wise, it reminds me very much of my 1977 Fender Precision which was my favourite bass ever. However, quality wise, its not a scratch on the Lakland. It looks rough and ready and nowhere near the quality of the Lakland. It really does look like a workhorse.

So when it comes down to it, both basses are excellent but very different. Tonally and feel, the Fender just suits me better. I would not say the Fender is a better bass, not by a long shot. I would probably go as far as saying the Lakland is a better bass but it has some characteristics that just don't suit me. This is a real shame as I love the Lakland and its a top bass but it does not suit me and I may consider selling it. I never thought this would happen as I love the Lakland brand but I'm not sure I will play her. The Fender just feels right and suits me tonally.[/quote]

Thanks for this review.

I love the Lakland 5 String DJ, the neck especially. I did notice its a different Jazz tone to what Im used to, but something about that neck on the 5's is incredible. I am a Fender nut, but I really don't think their 5 string bass necks can compete, which is a shame :)

I really want one of the USA 75 Reissue Jazz Basses, but I wish they were available in different colours. I already have 2 natural instruments (MM EB and a USA Telecaster Guitar) so now I want something different colour wise, which is the blue of the Lakland DJ :rolleyes:

Hmm...I just cant find another 5 string Jazz that suits me, the Sadowsky really wasnt my cup of tea.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='592301' date='Sep 7 2009, 06:00 PM']Thanks for this review.

I love the Lakland 5 String DJ, the neck especially. I did notice its a different Jazz tone to what Im used to, but something about that neck on the 5's is incredible. I am a Fender nut, but I really don't think their 5 string bass necks can compete, which is a shame :)

I really want one of the USA 75 Reissue Jazz Basses, but I wish they were available in different colours. I already have 2 natural instruments (MM EB and a USA Telecaster Guitar) so now I want something different colour wise, which is the blue of the Lakland DJ :rolleyes:

Hmm...I just cant find another 5 string Jazz that suits me, the Sadowsky really wasnt my cup of tea.[/quote]

Your welcome for the review. I have just been comparing both basses again and I am even more convinced by the Fender. The neck really does suit me better and so does the tone. I am also finding I am less accurate with the Lakland and have to work harder due to the thinner neck. So its time to sell the Lakland. Sad to see her go but its just not for me. Looks like its time to admit that Fender is the one of only bass for me.

As for colour, I know what you mean. I have a natural Stingray and now a natural Jazz. I seem to be drawn to them. If I could, I would change the Stingray but not sure to what and the natural does look great. Maybe a black Stingray with maple neck would be nice.

[quote name='Linus27' post='591944' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:40 AM']This is a real shame as I love the Lakland and its a top bass but it does not suit me and I may consider selling it. I never thought this would happen as I love the Lakland brand but I'm not sure I will play her. The Fender just feels right and suits me tonally.[/quote]

Wish i had chance to try a Lakland DJ4 before considering selling my USA 75 reissue. Its been great to read your reviews/comments. I am lucky to also have a Lakland JO5 which i really love for the deep reggae stuff i play, i love the feel and sound etc. I use my Fender 75 4 string for a funk ska band and have never been happy with the feel and tone (trouble is i can't feel confident funkin on my JO5 yet...particularly as we get pissed a lot when playing and i know i'll spank that B thinking its an E one day). I've put Bartolini's passives in the Fender to get a bit more warmth but it still sounds thin to me! I can't get with the varnished neck on the Fender either...i prefer the satin feel on the Lakland.

My USA 75 is beautiful though and is different to the usual natural option too, it is Sunburst with a Maple neck with black block inlays...just like Familymans old bass in the Wailers....hence why i got it many years ago.
I wish there was somewhere i could try a DJ4 or JO4 in the Southwest...and in order to buy one i'd have to sell my Fender first, tragedy could therefore prevail!. Don't get me wrong i love the Fender but saying the DJ4 has a deep bass sound sends shivers up my GAS. :)
I've put the original black pick guard back on now unlike the pic that shows a tortoise one :rolleyes:

Edited by Rasta