Why become a member? ×

Hey ho

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Hi, I'm David. New to the forums and new to Basses in general. In fact today was the first time I went into some shops and tried some out. I have to say it felt pretty good holding some of them in my hands, it's a shame I can't play anything on them!

I'm 27 and have a beard. That's about it.

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Something else I thought to add, one of the things I'd love to learn to play on the bass is that awesome bassline in the Diagnosis Murder feem choon.

Great stuff.

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Well, I'm looking a a second hand bass tomorrow and I've taken care of the beard.

Well, except the soul patch, got to retain some sense of self.

Guest Lee Van Cleef

So, I've had a shave and I now own my very own Bass guitar, making most of the previous information about me in this thread false!

Hi David, hope the force ( 4 ) is with you........the day after I sold her to you the jack socket in my 5 string broke.....only 17 years old,shoddy workmanship......so now bassless while this one gets repaired, never rains but it pours!!!! Learned any monster riffs yet????

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Aww dude, sorry to hear that man. How long will you be bassless?

Not learned any riffs yet! I've been taking some advice from youtube videos and working on getting my timing with my picking hand tightened up. I'm also still not sure about how you actually pluck the strings (sounds really stupid I know). Playing with fingers on the guitar I got used to almost hooking the strings, but trying this on the bass it sounds sloppy and creates an unnatural muting between the sounding of each note. This leads me to believe I'm getting too much in contact "underneath" the string and need to modify my approach.

That said, as boring as it sounds I sat there for over an hour last night just playing around with my attack on the strings and going through basic 4/4 rhythm picking.. and I could've kept going if my fingers hadn't got tired. Stupid fingers.

Edited by Lee Van Cleef

That`s probably the best thing to do,practice til you can do it no more, then start again later!!!! Boring, put should yield results for you. The only advice I would give is to play ( with your right hand ) on the G D and A , pluck with the finger so that after you`ve plucked ,the " follow thru" action leaves you finger on the next lowest ( fattest ) string. When playing the fat E theres obviously no string to rest on, so thats slightly different, I tend to use the palm of my hand as a stopper (!). Hope some of that made sense!!! Good Luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lee Van Cleef

Yeah I've read about different ways of doing it. For some reason I have trouble with moving up and down the strings and resting my thumb against the string above. I guess it's something that needs a lot of work.

I'm just learning basics from the Hal Leonard Bass Method book at the moment. My stupid fingers won't do what I want them to do, so learning to "rake" is frustrating. But I'll continue.