Why become a member? ×

Selling Into Mainland UK from Ireland

Quilly

Does anyone know if items I sell into the mainland UK from Ireland will incur import duty, I've 2 amps , one made in UK the other Made in China, I think there's some rules of origin thing making the UK item exempt for UK tax or something??

Apologies for the laziness but I just figured there's folks here used to buying/selling into UK post Brexit . 

47 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Apologies for the laziness but I just figured there's folks here used to buying/selling into UK post Brexit . 

Don't apologise, its bloody confusing. Brexit was all about removing red tape and making things simple you know. 

I've been charged import duty on used goods bought from Italy and not on something from France. I think it all depends on luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Don't apologise, its bloody confusing. Brexit was all about removing red tape and making things simple you know. 

I've been charged import duty on used goods bought from Italy and not on something from France. I think it all depends on luck.

What makes it even more confusing is that Ireland(Rep) and the UK have other agreements pre-EEC that are now in place, I haven't a clue to be honest. BC is the best place to sell gear but I don't want fellow bass chatters to get hit with a nasty surprise.

1 minute ago, Grahambythesea said:

I think duty is payable subject to a price threshold, £120 springs to mind. Leaving Europe has done musicians no favours.

I bought loads of gear from the UK pre Brexit, there were so many bargains to be had, especially from this site.   

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

A mess. 

7 hours ago, Quilly said:

Does anyone know if items I sell into the mainland UK from Ireland will incur import duty, I've 2 amps , one made in UK the other Made in China, I think there's some rules of origin thing making the UK item exempt for UK tax or something??

That would make sense.

Since Brexit, there is a Free Trade Agreement in place between the EU and the UK, which means no import duty is levied on goods traded between them. However, that exemption applies only to goods that are made either in the EU or in the UK. Goods that are from other parts of the world, such as China, get duty levied on them accordingly.

That being said, it appears that the third-country tariff duty (China is a 'third-country' in this context) on 'audio-frequency electric amplifiers'  which appears to be the best match for a guitar amp [Commodity code 8518400090] is set at 0%, so no import duty is due, whether your amplifier is originally British, German, Chinese or actually hails from Betelgeuse.

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8518400090

FWIW, from what that I have seen, most import tariffs on most products are below 5% most of the time.

Finally, don't get duty confused with VAT. Regardless of any duty, rules of origin or anything else, whoever is responsible for the goods entering the UK will have to pay VAT upon import. That is almost certainly going to be at 20% Standard Rate and will be a much bigger hit to your pocket than any duty. I've spent much of the last year rewriting my company's trading systems to accommodate Brexit and VAT is a much bigger headache to deal with than duty.

Edited by cybertect

• 1 month later...