Why become a member? ×

Eminence v Azola

The Funk

For about 3 years I've been thinking about getting hold of a double bass or EUB. As much as I'd love a double bass, I don't have any space in my flat for one - and I don't want any of the hassle of transport/amplification that comes with one.

Anyway, for the last year I've been GASing for an Eminence. Then I remembered about an American EUB company I'd looked into a couple of years ago called Azola, so I thought I'd give their site a quick scan.

Now I can't decide between the Eminence fixed neck (4-string) and the Azola Carved Acoustic Baby Bass (4-string).

The Eminence will work out cheaper but the Azola looks the absolute business!

Help me choose! (Feel free to give me other recommendations too).

I just bought an NS CR4M from on here, it's very portable, much so than a 'real DB' and can sound very much like a real DB, at least to my ears anyway.
It's also quite easy to play, I only got it yesterday but I'm planning on using it for a couple of tunes on a gig tomorrow afternoon.

Do a search on talkbass in their DB forum, I should guess that the basses you mention are a bit more common over there.

There's a very cool looking EUB for sale here, I almost bought it before I saw my NS.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43385"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43385[/url]

Edited by 6stringbassist

I don't think there's much between them really! Assuming the Eminence is a fair bit less ££, then I'd go for that.

The only thing I would add, is carefully think how far you'll go with the upright - my Clifton EUB plays and feels very much like a full scale acoustic. Good because I can move to an acoustic without any drastic changes/shocks...but the downside is I need to play and practise regularly to maintain any sort of dignity! I've only played one Eminence and only for a minute or two, but it was set up with the "feel" of a regular acoustic - my guess is that really dropping the action would compromise the sound? Obviously strings and specific set make a big difference etc

If you want somethng that demands less physical effort, then I'd go for something like the NS basses which can sound good with a lower action?

Just my thoughts....

BB

If you are looking for a narrow and thin hollowbody EUB there are a few about. Knutson make a good one, and Clevinger make them too. Azola gives great customer service. The Eminence is good but many people don't like the lacquer on them, or the type of shiny lacquer on them.

I use a BSX Allegro myself which is a RN narrow and thin hollowbody spruce top EUB.

Form the chatter on Talkbass it seems that the Azola is vastly superior to the Eminence - your only problems are the £2K+ price tag and shipping it over here fron the USA.

I've been drooling over the Azola Acoustic BugBass for a year or so but I'll never be able to afford one so I'll probably go with an Eminence when the time comes to trade up.

I know I've heard the Eminence is poor quality for the price. I've played one and I prefer the sound I get from my eventual EUB purchase, a BSX Allegro Acoustic.

I know Azola's are held in very high regard. I've not played one, but based on what I've heard, I think I'd be happy ordering one even so. (Always assuming I had the money, which I don't).

Andy

Considering that you are in London,I'd have to say check out the Clifton EUB. I've played one for the last five
years or so,and wouldn't consider anything else.
Mo makes beautiful instruments that play and sound very similar to an acoustic-even good for arco playing.
......Plus,he's a great bloke.

I've just spotted a left-handed Clifton on The Gallery's website for much less than the Eminence and about half the price of a new Clifton. I gave Martin a ring and asked if it would be possible to restring it right-handed. He said that apart from a small amount of bridge and nut work, that should be fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I didn't realise there were so many different options out there!

I've used my Clifton for ten years now - I'm not exactly happy with my abilities...but I'm still very happy with the bass! Do contact Mo if you need any advice about the bass. Like most makers he's always improving designs/trying new pickups/strings etc so can let you know what may work best for your needs.

BB

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you've missed the postings on the Eminence bass here on Basschat under S.M.A.R.T Distribution. Please see our affiliate section.

See our web pages as well for further information and links:

[url="http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/bassandguitar/eminence/eminencebass.html"]http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/bassan...inencebass.html[/url]

We have a lot of jazzer, country and blue grass players who have been over the moon with this instrument, especially the 4-string removable neck version.

I attach a customer review that might also be helpful.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Ciao

Ian

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I play an Azola Lightning Bug, it's a fantastic sounding EUB ( I also play UB, and can honestly say the sound of the Azola EUB is very, very close to the real deal),

On a plus note (pardon the pun!) Steve & Jill Azola are absolutely brill to deal with!!!