Why become a member? ×

Hello... (no, I'm not Adele)

Billy Bongo

Played Bass since my first one: a Vox Clubman short scale plank back in the early '70s bought mail order by my dear old mum.  Way back then I knew that the bass was my instrument, even when my mates were dreaming of being Hank Marvin. After several bands that vanished like the smoke from the chimneys, Iife intervened and I spent most of my life working as a photographer and video/film director/producer. I briefly managed a metal band, 'Hell', until the sudden tragic death of our singer and friend, Dave Halliday (formerly Race Against Time) and we went our separate ways. They are still playing and I am genuinely happy for them - a talented bunch of real metal barbarians still doing Dave's original material!

Burns Black Bison is my current bass. I had a '64 back in 1974 but I can only afford a 2003 version nowadays. I am knocking on and back to bass after a long time away. The Burns is very heavy and no way could I gig it, but then I don't want to. Taking delivery of a s/h 7 string fretless soon, but although I know it's  an Ibanez Prestige I don't know the model, so any help appreciated (pic attached) or any experiences. It will be a challenge...

I'm here to learn new stuff :)

yukyujfhfhn.jpg

tfgfgbfgb.jpg

• Like 1

@Billy Bongo - that's not an Ibanez Prestige, that's a re-branded Galveston. These are cheap Chinese made basses that are now sold under the brand name 'Prestige', unfortunately having owned a fretted 7 string Galveston some years ago, they are not particularly good at all. I hope you have a better experience with the fretless 7! But... absolutely nothing to do with Ibanez!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Bugger. Cheers for that Binky. Thought it was suspicious that Ibanez wasn't on the head, but it was a good price so I'll try it and if its rubbish move it on. If it's not I will keep it. I have a cheap  Chinese 'Flame/Fire' Glarry bass (£62) I bought because it is made of balsa wood and it proven excellent after setting up - low action, no fret buzz. Changed a weak PU, and it dived a bit, but a wedge of lead stopped that and the balance is perfect. Unlike my Bison...

I'll let you know when I've tried the less than 'Prestige'.

• Like 1

@binky_bass We were both wrong. Just had confirmation from Prestige Guitars of Vancouver that it is one of only six prototype basses made in Korea for Prestige in 2003! https://www.prestigeguitars.com/

I thought the quality looked just a little too good for a knock off and Prestige tell me no expense was spared in their production and they hadn't seen one in 18 years. So, I will call it the mighty Prestige! Hope it plays as well as it looks.

Relieved doesn't describe it! :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but that's not quite true. Prestige may potentially have bought the license from Galveston (or whoever owned Galveston) and re-branded it 'Prestige', but it is exactly the same. The headstock, body shape, neck construction, bat inlays, neck fixing etc etc are identical to Galveston. Perhaps it is made in Korea, but for all intents and purposes, it is the same instrument that Galveston produced. See the below picture of an older UB8000 and UB7000. 

If it works for you, that's all that really matters.

Screenshot_20211116-210727_Google.thumb.jpg.acd8e9fe51d988ddf120d7a90b5766ea.jpg

Screenshot_20211116-212720_Reverb.thumb.jpg.bf5d32a87aa4733d86c6db959895872f.jpg

Edited by binky_bass

🔥🔥🔥 ☺️ Think you are right. Not that it makes much difference. If it is a Galveston in all but name -which seems likely given the evidence - I can't understand why they got such a bad press. It was made in Korea. The construction, tone and action are way better than a Fender Jazz Bass I had some years ago and my pal's Rickenbacker. Admittedly the latter had been mercilessly gigged and chucked in the back of a lorry every day for twenty years!

Anyway, I've asked Prestige if that's what happened. Should be interesting.

• Like 2

Prestige responded to both myself and someone called Russ (whom I suspect I know!) from this forum with:

"The Korean factory named Un-Sung made 6 Prototypes for us of the exact bass he messaged us about back in 2003. We never pursued it beyond that. This might very well have been the factory building Galveston, and they thought to send a version our way as an example of their build quality and capability back then when we were just starting out."

So, the only minor issue I see is whether the prototypes were made before the Galveston or whether the Galveston was prior to the Prestige version. I can find no quality or tonal issues with my 7 string, quite the opposite, so either there were two versions - one for Galveston and one for Prestige as a potential customer - or I was just lucky. Prestige did not pursue the manufacture so there are still only 6 Prestige badged 7 strings in existence. Not that any of that matters, since I can barely lift it so will not be playing at the Last Working Men's Club in the World any time soon!

All I would say is if you can find a Prestige 7 string like this at a good price, try it. You might just love it as much as me.:)