Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

15 hours ago, boristhespider7 said:

OK, I guess the hum on the DI is not an issue with everyone? 

Would certainly be an issue if it happened on mine - the DI goes to the desk which goes to my in-ears, so I would be very aware of it. Took me a while fiddling around with effects pedal power supplies to get rid of noise from those because of this reason.

15 hours ago, boristhespider7 said:

IOn another note - I've just upgraded from an EVO III to an EVO IV ABM 600. Very pleased, I don't think its just my new buyers bias but it just sounds better.

That is what I liked about the ABM600 - I have no idea what sounds right about it, it just does.

• Like 1

All you guys with super quiet DI outs got me thinking on whether there may be other factors involved like a dirty power supply for my pedals or bad ground to my house.

Went through all the possibilities to exclude stuff and worked out it was actually a noisy power supply to my headphone amp which I'm using to listen to the DI out. Take that out of the circuit and the head DI out is super quiet 🙂

• Like 3

On 01/09/2023 at 20:04, boristhespider7 said:

OK, I guess the hum on the DI is not an issue with everyone? 

I can only state my experience in that I've had about 3 MAG heads and 2 ABM heads and hum has been an issue with all of them when using the DI.

On another note - I've just upgraded from an EVO III to an EVO IV ABM 600. Very pleased, I don't think its just my new buyers bias but it just sounds better. Even the pre-shape sound sounds more useable and less scooped.

The 5k slider I'm also loving for a bit more clarity on the top end.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is that the new gain and volume pots on the Evo IV are the clicky notched type, which are also on the RM heads. I like em, Just feel like better quality to me 👍 

I hate notched pots. I always seem to need somewhere in between.

My RM800 Evo2 had them too, but I sent it into Ashdown and they put smooth ones in for me instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I hate notched pots. I always seem to need somewhere in between.

My RM800 Evo2 had them too, but I sent it into Ashdown and they put smooth ones in for me instead.

That's what I like about Ashdown, customer service is fantastic! 👍Can't imagine many other amp makers doing that 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

ABM V has been out for months direct from Ashdown and U.K. built 

Compared to the ABM600 IV I couldn’t hear any difference!

I sent mine back and stayed with the 600 

think its basically just volume which tbh you wont hear, but the output meter is what make me interested in the 750

On 04/09/2023 at 08:25, goonerjoe said:

Morning all,

Just put my ABM up for sale, a few unexpected bills necessitates it's departure :(  

Just took a look at yours. Is it just me but are the ABM 600 Evo IV heads put further forwards in the case, so that the sliders poke out more?

I assumed the bolt holes in mine had been drilled too far forward, but yours looks similar too. Maybe the case is CNC'ed this way?

My Evo iii was much further back in the head. 

I feel it makes the sliders more vulnerable to being bent in a collision. Thinking about making some kind of protective plate to cover it during transport, or getting a Roqsolid cover with the board in the front end for some protection

10 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

IMG_4743.thumb.jpeg.96baebae7dfcf248fd54594c1b095480.jpeg

Yep, that shows what i'm talking about really well. I'm wondering if Ashdown did it to make the labels on the controls easier to see in poor light, or whether someone just got too slack with the CNC machine 😄

I have tried just turning the head around in the case as there's loads of overhang space on the rear side, which isn't really needed. However the bolt holes aren't symmetrical on both sides so this isn't possible 🤨

• 1 month later...

Ill be rejoining the ABM club shortly.  My last actual ABM was an old UK made 300 effort which i loved.  My favourite ABM-ish was a spyder 550 which is the ABM power amp with a tube pre. 

Incoming this time is an old 90's pre-ABM Klystron 400 from the days when Mark Gooday was probably still making them on his dining table :)  Looking forward to getting back into ABM's even tho technically this is a Klystron albeit basically an ABM

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chaddy said:

Without going crazy on google, does any use or have recommended soft covers or cases for their ABM heads? or should I rack mount it in a 4u Gator case? ...

Enough to keep it sorta safe in the garage or back in the car. 

Roq solid covers are good 

• Like 1