Why become a member? ×

Lending someone your bass

bassbloke

I lent my pal my '58 LP Junior reissue about four years ago.  Note to self, get it back at some point!

I'll lend people gear if I know them well, but not just some div who couldn't be bothered to bring his own gear.  Actually that reminds me of a story; a band I used to roadie for caused a bit of a stir on the mid-2000's UK extreme metal scene (not that much of a boast, really) and had a gig supporting some top Swedish death metal act in Eddie's No.8 in Brum.  We turned up, loaded in etc, and there was no sign of the headliners anywhere.  The venue staff hadn't seen them and we assumed they were a no-show.  Eventually they turned up, looked around with an air of superior arrogance and said "Your equipment is not very good.  We use it anyway as we have none."  I politely thanked them for their interest and informed them that no, they wouldn't be using our gear.  This caused a bit of a stir, and eventually somebody donated their band's gear, which said metal "gods" basically trashed.  I couldn't believe the arrogance of the bastards, and said so.  Imagine flying from Sweden to play a gig and not bringing (or organising) a single item of gear....  The mind boggles.

• Like 2

I do a weekly jam gig and often let others use my bass and rig. And it’s amazing how different it will sound from player to player. Now much of the time I’m playing a Dano Longhorn. It’s a cheap little tough as nails bass with twenty year old strings on it. And played through a good amp can sound perfect. This is a blues jam , and I love that classic old school thump.
A surprising number of friends have bought Longhorns after playing mine. And in town at a blues gig in town you’re as likely to see a Longhorn as a Pbass. 

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

I lent my pal my '58 LP Junior reissue about four years ago.  Note to self, get it back at some point!

I'll lend people gear if I know them well, but not just some div who couldn't be bothered to bring his own gear.  Actually that reminds me of a story; a band I used to roadie for caused a bit of a stir on the mid-2000's UK extreme metal scene (not that much of a boast, really) and had a gig supporting some top Swedish death metal act in Eddie's No.8 in Brum.  We turned up, loaded in etc, and there was no sign of the headliners anywhere.  The venue staff hadn't seen them and we assumed they were a no-show.  Eventually they turned up, looked around with an air of superior arrogance and said "Your equipment is not very good.  We use it anyway as we have none."  I politely thanked them for their interest and informed them that no, they wouldn't be using our gear.  This caused a bit of a stir, and eventually somebody donated their band's gear, which said metal "gods" basically trashed.  I couldn't believe the arrogance of the bastards, and said so.  Imagine flying from Sweden to play a gig and not bringing (or organising) a single item of gear....  The mind boggles.

Ar$eholes..If it were my bands gear they trashed, we'd be giving the hurdy-gurdies a good kicking round the back after closing time 😖

• Like 1

I lent my bass out a few weeks ago. It was to Martin Turner though (ex-Wishbone Ash), who had travelled 100 miles or so to a gig without his bass. Luckily I have a Thunderbird and was not too far away...

Oh, and I hung around to make sure he took care of it... and buy me dinner too :D

• Like 5

I think it depends on the circumstances and, to a great extent, the bass in question. Our singist/guitarist is a music teacher and he currently has my Vintage V4 for lessons. He was fully prepared to buy a bass, but I insisted, as it wasn't being used and it seemed like a waste of money that could be used to record some more band stuff. This one also gets lent to people if there's ever an open mic night. 

With my main bass, or my Bongo, I'd be a little more careful who I lent them to, but it wouldn't be an instant no.

I once let an Australian band use my bass at a gig in London.

The guitar somehow ended up in their dressing room as they were preparing to leave. While I was very slight in those days, our roadie was not and managed to grab the bass back and advise the chap what he was planning was a bad idea.

Sold the bass after that, as it was cursed.

Once attended a 'new to me' jamnight in town.  Sempt like a nice bunch, albeit a little cliquey, but no more than average.  I'd taken my little Status Streamline that I had at the time and met up with a few guys I'd played with at other jams.  A few minutes after getting there a worse for wear 'rock dude' came up and asked/semi demanded to use my bass as he hadn't brought one....he struggled with understanding a polite no but eventually got the message when a less polite response was made.  Apparently this wasn't cool at this jamnight and a bass was produced from behind the bar (one of those JD whiskey bottle shaped things) and I was then the a$$hole.  Redemption came a few minutes into his session as he alcoholically stumbled and the bass crashed to the concrete.....I didn't need to say anything. 

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I co-host a weekly jam night these days, and I bring my BB414 for punters to use...we get quite a few guitarists with their own kit, but it's rare anyone turns up with a bass. Not had any issues, tho occasionally I have had to insist some rock god (it's a Wednesday night in a bar in a Manchester suburb, for crying out loud, there's such a thing as trying too hard) take off the studded belt/chains first...

• Haha 1