Why become a member? ×

PA monitors

KASH

I played my amp through a 2x15 JBL 1000w @ 4ohms PA monitor the other day (can't remember the model). It sounded a bit muddy, lacked a bit of definition, maybe if I spent more time playing with eq I could get a better sound, anyway it was damn loud and bassy with plenty of low end :)

I was wondering what's the difference between PA monitors and bass cabs really, especially now that so many players are playing through DI boxes into the PA, they are using PA monitors after all. Any thoughts?

If it was a 2x15 and had no tweeter, it was likely a sub and only designed to produce low frequencies, which would account for lack of definition. Generally bass cabs are designed to produce full range with tweeters and such, whereas PAs tend to only do this when they are small, larger ones tend to be split into tops and subs with crossover goodness. Although I might have made that all up.

wouldn't the main difference be due to the speaker size and depth.

Cause, i as using GCSE physics knowledge here...and i wasn't that good, surely a larger, deeper speaker cone would produce a deeper sound.
And that'll be the main difference...

(might be talking utter rubbish)

[quote name='ash_sak' post='452671' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:14 PM']wouldn't the main difference be due to the speaker size and depth.

Cause, i as using GCSE physics knowledge here...and i wasn't that good, surely a larger, deeper speaker cone would produce a deeper sound.
And that'll be the main difference...

(might be talking utter rubbish)[/quote]
The speaker parameters and the box define the tone. Some 15 inch speakers move lots of air, but don't go deep. Some 10 inch speakers go deep.

A speaker cone has mass, and its surround, and the air behind it act like springs. Its the combination of parameters like that, and they way they can be tuned, that causes the difference in sound.

I've got a pair of Trace PA cabs stashed away that sound pretty cool with a bass fed into them. They have a 15" & 10" concentrically mounted - should also ahve a horn but mine were removed before I sold them.

I once used both of them at a gig - 2 x15's & 2x10's stacked on top of each other sounded great :)

mmmm - note to self, dig out PA cabs from shed & have a play with them. . .

Ok, so it looks like it's a sub. What if one get a normal PA woofer (not a sub), would it be the same as a bass cab with say a 15"?...or play through a sub and a cab with 10"s perhaps? That way would it cover the entire frequency range?

[quote name='KASH' post='453071' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:43 AM']Ok, so it looks like it's a sub. What if one get a normal PA woofer (not a sub), would it be the same as a bass cab with say a 15"?...or play through a sub and a cab with 10"s perhaps? That way would it cover the entire frequency range?[/quote]

Almost any PA cab that is light enough and cheap enough to be considered as a bass cab alternative will be too poor at handling the lows. If you have the money and can cope with the weight then I highly recommend one of these:

[url="http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/cq-1/"]http://www.meyersound.com/products/concertseries/cq-1/[/url]

Alex

Hum...interesting. Is there any 2x15 good bass cab with powerful wattage in the market? I just loooved the low end. Or two 1x15 for that matter that make a good rig? Any 15" freaks around here? :)

PS - has anyone ever played a 18"? curious about the sound

[quote]PS - has anyone ever played a 18"? curious about the sound[/quote]

My main cab for a lot of years was a big (but fairly shallow) front-ported cab with a Gauss 18" in it. It was the best tone I ever had.. lots of definition, and no clackitty-clack. I wish I'd never sold it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='453406' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:48 PM']It was the best tone I ever had.. lots of definition, and no clackitty-clack.[/quote]

I'm quite curious to try some out, but I don't know any shop that has 18"s in stock. Hartke and SWR still make them I think, not sure about Trace and Peavey or Ampeg. Good'ol ground shaking bass mate... :)

[quote name='KASH' post='453391' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:30 PM']Hum...interesting. Is there any 2x15 good bass cab with powerful wattage in the market? I just loooved the low end. Or two 1x15 for that matter that make a good rig? Any 15" freaks around here? :)

PS - has anyone ever played a 18"? curious about the sound[/quote]

The size of the speaker doesn't tell you anything about the sound - it just tells you how big the speaker looks!

However, I currently have a few 15"s in my house: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=451359"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=451359[/url]

And the 15" that goes in the cab in the foreground can make more bottom than any 18" bass cab on the market.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='453417' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:15 PM']The size of the speaker doesn't tell you anything about the sound - it just tells you how big the speaker looks!

However, I currently have a few 15"s in my house: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=451359"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=451359[/url]

And the 15" that goes in the cab in the foreground can make more bottom than any 18" bass cab on the market.

Alex[/quote]

So tell me what is the best 15" cab in the market today?

[quote name='KASH' post='453391' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:30 PM']Hum...interesting. Is there any 2x15 good bass cab with powerful wattage in the market? I just loooved the low end. Or two 1x15 for that matter that make a good rig? Any 15" freaks around here? :)

I had an 18" Peavey cabinet once. Great for Dub.

I have used a Hartke 2x15, its did pretty damn well considering what it was up against, later, the dude I bought my 8x10 from commented on how much low end there was at that gig: