Why become a member? ×

"Tightening" up the tone from my E String ......

Pirellithecat

Is it a Fender P? Where was it made? Does it do this when you use a pick as well as fingers?

Is it possible the other strings are too bright rather than the E string too dull for your tone settings

If you didn't buy it new is it possible someone has changed the E strings bridge saddle to one of a different quality metal such as crap instead of brass.

Just lobbing in possibilities here.

Finally neck cracked or fingerboard de laminating from neck on that side?

How about just taking it into a shop and trying another PBass next to it? You'll know in 5 minutes if it's just the inherent sound of YOUR bass that's an issue or whether a Precision generally is just not giving the sound you would expect from it. Then you can decide to either keep working at it or just flip it and buy something that gives you your sound out of the box 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.   The bridge has been swapped back and forth with  a couple of different saddles, to no avail.   Now back to the original (plus original saddles). It's a MIJ P bass and I'll try it next to a  Squier/Fender P when I next get to a Guitar Shop - maybe well be that I'm just being "picky"!   .... I'm sure most folks wouldn't notice, particularly those in the Pub audience!!  

• Like 2

Hi @Pirellithecat did you sort the nut out by the way?
I only just read your post about the E string not sitting quite right in the slot. As someone also said, a decent quality nut will also help - but make sure the string sits firmly in the slot. This will of course require some careful fettling with a file. But don't file the slot too deep - as that can cause buzzing issues that end of the neck.

• Like 1

As others have already said though.... check it at volume, through an amp. I would add that you should maybe try it in a rehearsal studio, firstly on its' own, but then with full band. I'd also say, try recording something with the bass - then see if it still sounds the same in the recording. You never know - you may be partly convincing yourself of something that isn't actually the case.

I would add though, I recently tried a couple of necks on my Pbass, and the original neck just sounded that bit better than the other necks. It was a good experiment in Rosewood V Maple board, and chunkier neck V slimmer neck. Took a while, but it was noticeable just how much more sustain and "snappiness" the original neck produced. Perhaps the woods were just matched really well at the factory?

• Like 1

On 15/09/2021 at 09:40, PaulWarning said:

in my experience the E string does sound a bit 'loose' and seems to lack a bit definition, careful EQing helps, but it's the nature of the beast, notes played on the E string above the 5th fret don't seem to sound as defined as those played on the higher strings, but they can cut through better in the mix YMMV

I agree with the above. I think there is often an inherent wooliness to the E string, especially on P positioned pickups, which is even more pronounced on B strings IME. It's how much you're of that fall off in tone you're willing to accept, assuming that there isn't some sort of harmonic cancellation going with the build of this particular bass. Trying another, similarly built bass is definitely the way forward to rule this out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m totally flabbergasted that nobody has suggested ensuring the string has been settled over the saddle properly (the witness point). Tune the E up to pitch and intonation and press the string down hard next to the saddle on the pickguard side so that it creates a slight angle. This sets a string up so that it rings properly. This should ALWAYS be done when fitting strings new or old.