Why become a member? ×

Triangle Picks

Guest BassAdder27

I used to use large triangle tortex picks but recently switched to Dunlop prime tone 1.5 mm non-grip small triangles which work much better for me on both guitar and bass. These are made from polyetherimide like ultex picks, but they are coloured brown which makes them look a bit like super-expensive blue chip picks.

I’ve used the big triangle Dunlop picks, first Tortex, now Ultex for years. Much easier to keep hold of and as they’re triangular 3 picks for the price of one so if they do turn whilst playing less of an issue. The Ultex have a more modern defined sound to them than the Tortex imo.

Edited by Lozz196

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve used the big triangle Dunlop picks, first Tortex, now Ultex for years. Much easier to keep hold of and as they’re triangular 3 picks for the price of one so if they do turn whilst playing less of an issue. The Ultex have a more modern defined sound to them than the Tortex imo.

yep I’m liking Ultex better than nylon or Toretex and the triangle 1.14mm is my preferred pick at the moment 

I'm not a pick player and only use them when I have to.  We are doing 'Would' by Alice in Chains and the bass part has to be done with a pick and there is a bit of strumming in it too so I have just got a few different thinner Dunlop triangle picks.  As well as the Tortex and Ultex I also got 'Flex' 73mm and 88mm picks.  So far for strumming, I'm liking the Flex 73mm picks.

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2021 at 18:12, BillyBass said:

I'm not a pick player and only use them when I have to.  We are doing 'Would' by Alice in Chains and the bass part has to be done with a pick and there is a bit of strumming in it too so I have just got a few different thinner Dunlop triangle picks.  As well as the Tortex and Ultex I also got 'Flex' 73mm and 88mm picks.  So far for strumming, I'm liking the Flex 73mm picks.

you could maybe do it with 3 fingers and strum with a fist?

I’ve used the tortex triangles for ages, probably more than 15 years. 1.14 mm, the purple ones. I do rely a lot on the 3 corners as I actually rotate the pickup from a point to another between songs or even during a song. It’s a sort of automatic movement to avoid the hand to stay stuck in the same position for several minutes. It helps keeping a fresh grip on the pick.