Why become a member? ×

Bass Playing with a Click Track

AM1

Interested if anyone uses a clicker and if so which one.

This is more about practice than live situations, it would be easier to have a portable clicker coming through earphones, where I can quickly change tempo/beat, without using my PC.

And yes yes I've heard all the opinions about clickers fostering mechanical playing, only if you're already mechanical, a decent rhythmic player can push and pull the beat regardless of what's clicking in the background.

Any advice on devices appreciated.

EDIT - PS I used a digital metronome for six years at school but for the bass I'd rather in ear solution.

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='451007' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:18 PM']Interested if anyone uses a clicker and if so which one.

This is more about practice than live situations, it would be easier to have a portable clicker coming through earphones, where I can quickly change tempo/beat, without using my PC.

And yes yes I've heard all the opinions about clickers fostering mechanical playing, only if you're already mechanical, a decent rhythmic player can push and pull the beat regardless of what's clicking in the background.

Any advice on devices appreciated.

EDIT - PS I used a digital metronome for six years at school but for the bass I'd rather in ear solution.[/quote]

Is your drummer crap or something isnt he your metronome? If you are practicing at home cant you just play along with drum loops or something.

[quote name='YouMa' post='451041' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:05 AM']Is your drummer crap or something isnt he your metronome? If you are practicing at home cant you just play along with drum loops or something.[/quote]

Drummers (and bass players) that can keep perfect time but maintain feel are a rare breed, but it can be done.

I use drum loops already (and always looking for more!) but for some of the practice techniques I have in mind, basic in ear clicker will fit the bill much better and I hate having to sit beside my PC, portable solution is the way, then I can also take it with me when me and FrankenBass are in transit.

Edited by AM1

[quote name='YouMa' post='451048' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:11 AM']Could you not get something like a korg pandora they have a click backing track effects etc on them. You can pick them up cheap 2nd hand.[/quote]

I have heard of these but haven't seen one, but I believe it's similar to Tascam, which I have, but don't really want to take it away from home all the time.

[quote name='YouMa' post='451055' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:18 AM']Its a tiny little box,but sounds really big,i have seen 2 come on here in the last few months,have a look on the korg website they have a demo video,its pretty impressive.[/quote]

Is it the PX4D? Quite an impressive box of tricks, but A ) I'm a cheapskate and B ) I'm a cheapskate.

Edited by AM1

[quote name='YouMa' post='451064' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:29 AM']I think it would be worth it just for all the features for practice on yer todd,im hankering after one.[/quote]

Oi! Stop transferring your GAS onto me and go and buy one.

So you can get fed up of it after a few weeks and donate it to me.

Ho Ho :)

[quote name='ironside1966' post='451072' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:39 AM']The cheapest solution would to record the clicks on to CD, minidisk or IPod.[/quote]

Already got clicks on my Ipod.

No flexibility.

[quote name='YouMa' post='451076' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:46 AM']Well your buggered, sorry stranded then. Surely its better and more fun to play over a looped wav file,and a laptops not that big?[/quote]

Fun? FUN?!

Who told you this was fun!

Pah!

I'm not taking a laptop everywhere just to hear clicks!

Plus - playing bass every day beside a laptop is too distracting, that needs to stop imminently, too many people pinging me on MSN/Skype, email etc, I just mainly ignore it though mehe!

The Korg MA30 is the most appropriate metronome in my opinion; does the job exactly, has an earphone out, and even without this is loud enough to play along with a double bass, is small and cheap as chips;

[url="http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=129"]http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=129[/url]

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='endorka' post='451095' date='Apr 1 2009, 04:31 AM']The Korg MA30 is the most appropriate metronome in my opinion; does the job exactly, has an earphone out, and even without this is loud enough to play along with a double bass, is small and cheap as chips;

[url="http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=129"]http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=129[/url]

Jennifer[/quote]

Hiya, many thanks!

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Some outstanding functions!

Cheers
AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='The Funk' post='451098' date='Apr 1 2009, 04:45 AM']I have one! Just can't find it at the moment.[/quote]

That clearly means you don't use it. So, even though you're a dick :) (hey you said it not me) I'll let you sell it to me! :rolleyes:

[quote name='AM1' post='451100' date='Apr 1 2009, 04:50 AM']That clearly means you don't use it. So, even though you're a dick :) (hey you said it not me) I'll let you sell it to me! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I can't sell you something I can't find. I think it costs around £10 new anyway, so you could just pick one up in a shop. If I can find it before I come to your gig, you can just have it.

Ha ha. And nobody once commented that they can make hot chocolate too.

For those that are wondering - the gb g spot is a add on to the gb preamp that gives pitch pipe tuner and metronome functions to your bass.

Despite having two useful valid functions, it was ridiculed in BGM reviews.

Gimmicks. Its all about the gimmicks.

Any £12 metronome comes with an ear piece "out" nowadays. Just plug your iPod phones into it. A drummer I knew way back recorded me some drum grooves for me to practice to. He said he'd given it a "live" feel. Hmm, thin line between "live feel" and out of f***ing time.

Edited by leschirons