Why become a member? ×

Bass Sound Buried

Guest BassAdder27

For what it's worth I have had the whole "you don't need a Marshall 4x10 and JCM 800 head for this tiny practice room" argument too many times, they also don't usually understand that the drummer plays loud, cause they play loud, and as someone else mentioned get the guitarists bass / low knob cut to zero.

The best solution for me has always been let the drummer just play and everyone volume up to them. If the drummer smashes the hell out of his drums at practice... leave the band.

• Like 1

100 guitar rigs are very 'old hat' now iny opinion. Marshalls in particular need to be cranked to get them singing and it's precisely because of this that they've developed 25-30 watt valve amps. Having said that, one of our previous guitarists played a Les Paul through a cranked Marshall Bluesbreaker combo (30 watt I think) a few times and it was deafening. I thought it sounded fine at lower volumes but he obviously didn't!

you may need to comepnsate for his hearing too - if he has been doing 'that' for some time then it is possible that his hearing is affected in certain frequency ranges and his cranking up is his way to compensate

we had a guitarist a couple of bands ago nice chap wouldnt intentionally crank up and drown the rest of the band... but he did... and we sort of figured out eventually that it was most likely down to his hearing being affected