Why become a member? ×

Joyo Badass

andy67

• 6 months later...

Delivered, unpacked and now set-up. My initial test with new gear is to check how it sounds straight out the box. So, I'll start with contents: out the box you get, the amp, power supply, footswitch, instrument and speaker lead - all good for a £122. Next up, plug in to see how it sounds. I'm pairing it with a TC BC208 cab and using my 1999 EBMM stingray. Low, Mid & Hi all set to far left position (off or low) comp switch at normal and control at 9am, gain at 8am and volume at 10am - morning times for illustration purposes and context. Plugged in the bass for instant nice tone and volume. Moving the EQ section to midday, adjusting the volume to full and working the gain up from zero, is astonishing! The footswitch appears to activate the compressor of which, is not too bad given the price of the amp. It is a single valve (AX7) 50w at 4 ohms little head that I'm running 20w at 8 ohms through my BC208 - it is loud at 20w. Will test more in the coming days but I am very impressed for more or less out the box tone & volume. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, andy67 said:

Totally is! I use it for home practice and it has that presence thing you only get with big stage amps. 

I took mine to a band practice (just to try it) and it was amazing how it kept up with the band

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I took mine to a band practice (just to try it) and it was amazing how it kept up with the band

I'm looking forward to doing that too. I am thoroughly impressed by this little amp and you are so on it with the Ampeg tone. I used my Pbass through it last night, shut my eyes and was back in the days when I owned a Classic :D 

• Like 1

I like the demo players riffage, and I like that just for once we see a demo with what is obviously someone's favorite gigging bass rather than a brand new boutique thingy, but would it not have made more sense to demo this with an actual y'know like P-bass?

I'm spared the agony of having to decide whether or not to buy one by the absence of an XLR out. I always go to FoH as well as my rig, so that's a bit of a deal-breaker for me. Yes, I realise that I could use a DI box. No, I don't want to take even more gear to gigs.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Yes, I realise that I could use a DI box. No, I don't want to take even more gear to gigs.

This habit of answering questions before we have chance to show our superior knowledge by asking them must be stopped.

It'll be the death of the forum.

• Haha 7

• 7 months later...

Bought one and used it through the headphone jack connected to the effects return of an Orange Crush 50 bass combo. It sounds great. But there is an issue that it's very annoying, when practicing with headphones using the channel 1 (the one without compression), there is a high pitch noise that is unbearable. When I switch to channel 2 with the compressor, the noise diminishes.

I ordered a 4 ohm 200 w 1x12 cabinet and I'm planning to sell the orange crush 50 (if the Joyo via the new cabinet sounds better). And I'm hoping that the noise is related to electric charge or grounding and that once connected to the cabinet it will be solved and I will be able to use both channels when connected with the headphones. Because today I can only use channel 2 when I practice, can't stand the noise of channel 1.

Anyone is having the same issue?

Also, I'm thinking on buying a Warwick Gnome and that the Joyo can be used as a tube preamp through effects loop or headphone jack. The sound you get from the channel 2 with the gain is really awesome.

• Like 2

Mine came today. Euro plug only, swapped in the one from my hotone psu. Don't like separate psu, but can see it makes getting CE approval massively cheaper. Sounds good through PJB C2, but obviously not a good test of volume.  Will try with my 4R gr bass 2x12 soon. Bit noisy with compressor on.