Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM500 - switch inaccessible!

kevin-1911

Greetings!

I have an Ashdown ABM500 head, which is rack mounted and great. For some reason the designers didn't see a problem with having the power switch on the back panel of the amp, so when it's in a fully packed rack there's no easy way of accessing it (the rack is against a wall).

I know I won't be the only person to have had this problem. Any clever ideas for getting a switch that's easier to access? I'd been looking at a mains socket switch, but slightly concerned about power surges if the switch is closed too quickly. Last thing I want to do is frazzle it! 😆

Cheers! Kevin

51 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Ashdown do appear to be pretty bloody awesome on the customer service front- that said, I think you should be OK switching a rack off at the wall. As nice as it is to have a soft-switching power conditioner or what have you, I think that most appliances can handle the average wall switch.

Are you in the UK?

I sure am! Central Scotland to be precise.

5 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Plug the amp into a power bar that has a switch. 

+1 for above. A power bar or management strip is a great investment if you have a busy rack with multiple devices. You don't say how big your rack is or how many devices are in it. Even a smallish rack (3U or 4U) will benefit from a managed power supply 🙂 

powerbar.jpg