Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

Guest JanekGwizdala

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='532566' date='Jul 4 2009, 01:48 PM']No Fodera could dial in the signature tone of an Encore Argos bass.[/quote]

HA HA HA HA HA HAHA A HAHAHAHA that is truly the best quote on this entire forum I think. With great use of the phrases "Dial In" and "signature tone".

I think I might like to offer one BGM review-esque quote too now that I'm inspired by the argos comment...

"Argos Encore Basses - a world leader in mail order tone"

Easy,

Janek

[quote name='gwizmon' post='530190' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:21 AM']Take any player you dig from any genre and if they're really great musicians I'm sure you would be able to tell it's them no matter what instrument they're playing.

Easy,[/quote]

Then ill stick to my Argos Encore Signature Tone and wait to sell the house before I worry about phoneing Mr. Fodera. Easy :)

[quote name='gwizmon' post='532519' date='Jul 4 2009, 05:04 PM']It really doesn't matter anyway. talking about gear just detracts from the music which I think is a far more fruitful point of discussion.[/quote]

Why did you start talking about your beloved Fodera then? We were talking about a magazine.

[quote name='gwizmon' post='532519' date='Jul 4 2009, 05:04 PM']How about a thread which discusses melodic development in modern music, and what possibilities lie ahead for our industry and for us as players? or would that actually be too realistic of a topic? and would there not be enough opportunity to bitch about the cost of instruments or pieces of gear for page after page......?[/quote]

Why not start one then instead of whining on this thread?

I like you Janek and I think Crockett's Theme is a quality tune, but your inconsisent posts don't do you any favours.

Guest JanekGwizdala

I like you Janek and I think Crockett's Theme is a quality tune, but your inconsisent posts don't do you any favours.
[/quote]

why you have such a hard on for don johnson is beyond me. And why you think you're posts, being completely consistent in giving me a hard time and playing devils advocate every time you post, is anything more worthwhile than what I have to say.

neither is more valid than the the other. They're just matters of opinion. Or have you forgotten that that's what a public forum is based on?

I have memory and awaresness but I have no shape, or form, as a disembodied spirit, I am dead and yet unborn, I have passed into Olympus, as was told, in tales of old, through the city of Immortals, marbled white and purest gold.

A few Rush lyrics have diffused situations in the Middle East before today. :)

Edited by steve-soar

OK peeps, the Fodera thing has had its 15 minutes on this thread -- there's a 'boutique basses' thread running elsewhere, so continue on p.94 of that one if you really want to.

[quote name='gwizmon' post='532575' date='Jul 4 2009, 07:12 PM']"Argos Encore Basses - a world leader in [b]bouncy dialled-in [/b]mail order [b]signature[/b] tone"[/quote]
Good review, but I think it needs these additions :)

Seriously -- Janek, I like your idea of a thread which discusses melodic development in modern music and what possibilities lie ahead for our industry and for us as players. Fancy starting one?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='532566' date='Jul 4 2009, 06:48 PM']No Fodera could dial in the signature tone of an Encore Argos bass.[/quote]

The waiting lists are huge too. I mean, it just feels like forever sitting in that chair, looking at the screen waiting for your number to come up.

Worth every second for such a quality instrument though.

In fairness to BGM, most of the guitar mags are the same. Blinged-up PRS's and UK Luthier acoustics at £2k+, with very occasional reviews of Squiers or Epi's.

I suspect that there's some ancient consumer magazine publishing formula which goes something like 'Review products should always cost 6 times more than the average reader's annual expenditure on that type of product or your circulation goes down"

So we all drive Focuses, but read about Ferraris. Or live in a 2-bed flat and read about 6-bed country houses.

I can understand the need to harness the 'aspirational' factor, but some balance would be nice.

Edited by skankdelvar

Guest JanekGwizdala

[quote name='Rich' post='532794' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:09 AM']OK peeps, the Fodera thing has had its 15 minutes on this thread -- there's a 'boutique basses' thread running elsewhere, so continue on p.94 of that one if you really want to.

Good review, but I think it needs these additions :)

Seriously -- Janek, I like your idea of a thread which discusses melodic development in modern music and what possibilities lie ahead for our industry and for us as players. Fancy starting one?[/quote]

I actually think it's pretty pointless starting any sort of meaningful discussion when it's clear to see that no matter what I write it will be shot down and ridiculed.

I'm out.

[quote name='gwizmon' post='533064' date='Jul 5 2009, 03:00 PM']I actually think it's pretty pointless starting any sort of meaningful discussion when it's clear to see that no matter what I write it will be shot down and ridiculed.

I'm out.[/quote]

Well, that's helpful. If you stick your head over the parapet on behalf of the mag that pays (some of) your wages, you should expect some criticism and be prepared to handle it. This is business, not personal.

That said, the more 'personal' reponses came in response to your posts somewhat loftily refuting the entirely reasonable suggestion of broadening your mag's review base. Rather than slamming the Fodera angle, a simple "OK, we'll look at it, no promises" would have sufficed and we wouldn't have this problem now. Lots of people on this thread have also been kind enough to praise your playing skills so personal cuts both ways.

Face it, this is absolutely not a good way to bow out. Now please just suck it up and start contributing again. People here value your input.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='OldGit' post='533148' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:06 PM']Got the current BGM now and it's the best for ages IMHO.
Well done all, keep up the good work, and listening to our ideas here.[/quote]

Yep, have to agree with OG.

Guest JanekGwizdala

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='533075' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:14 AM']Well, that's helpful. If you stick your head over the parapet on behalf of the mag that pays (some of) your wages, you should expect some criticism and be prepared to handle it. This is business, not personal.

That said, the more 'personal' reponses came in response to your posts somewhat loftily refuting the entirely reasonable suggestion of broadening your mag's review base. Rather than slamming the Fodera angle, a simple "OK, we'll look at it, no promises" would have sufficed and we wouldn't have this problem now. Lots of people on this thread have also been kind enough to praise your playing skills so personal cuts both ways.

Face it, this is absolutely not a good way to bow out. Now please just suck it up and start contributing again. People here value your input.[/quote]

1) BGM don't pay me for writing for the magazine, or for appearing on the cover or for interviews.

2) I do not speak on behalf of them, I speak for myself.

3) You're right about the fodera angle, I really don't know why I waste my time talking about it.

4) Waldo and BBC wouldn't know about business if it knocked on their door and asked them to go to dinner. It's always personal, petty, and entirely bitter.

So, tell me..... why is it that people get offensive whenever anyone gets realistic, and have to sit back in their armchair and spurt abuse when things get slightly out of a warm and fuzzy comfort zone.

BBC just disagrees with everything that is written on here wether it's me writing or anyone else with a foot vaguely in the real world of bass playing or music.

So what's the point? and if Waldo's opening statement when I post here again is "Oh God.... He's back" .......

come on man, that's bul***t. I'm surprised everyone else is so passive and just puts up with it all.

There is no good way to bow out. But I don't need that kind of negative crap, I don't think anyone does. It's pretty amazing that in the tens of thousands of posts from countless hundreds of people on talkbass nothing like this ever happens.

why can't basschat keep it together in that respect? it's just a waste of time.

[quote name='gwizmon' post='533251' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:51 PM']1) BGM don't pay me for writing for the magazine, or for appearing on the cover or for interviews.

2) I do not speak on behalf of them, I speak for myself.[/quote]

My apologies, Janek. I completely misunderstood and therefore retract unconditionally. Which pretty much invalidates the rest of my post. Happy to delete it if you like.

I stand by the last bit, though. Lots of people on here value your input.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='gwizmon' post='533251' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:51 PM']1) BGM don't pay me for writing for the magazine, or for appearing on the cover or for interviews.

2) I do not speak on behalf of them, I speak for myself.

3) You're right about the fodera angle, I really don't know why I waste my time talking about it.

4) Waldo and BBC wouldn't know about business if it knocked on their door and asked them to go to dinner. It's always personal, petty, and entirely bitter.

So, tell me..... why is it that people get offensive whenever anyone gets realistic, and have to sit back in their armchair and spurt abuse when things get slightly out of a warm and fuzzy comfort zone.

BBC just disagrees with everything that is written on here wether it's me writing or anyone else with a foot vaguely in the real world of bass playing or music.

So what's the point? and if Waldo's opening statement when I post here again is "Oh God.... He's back" .......

come on man, that's bul***t. I'm surprised everyone else is so passive and just puts up with it all.

There is no good way to bow out. But I don't need that kind of negative crap, I don't think anyone does. It's pretty amazing that in the tens of thousands of posts from countless hundreds of people on talkbass nothing like this ever happens.

why can't basschat keep it together in that respect? it's just a waste of time.[/quote]

Thanks for your honest opinion. It is appreciated, and maybe "they" will take notice and start to do something about the negative contributors.

Just ignore the trolls. They try to denigrate anyone who appears to have a modicum of intelligence, has any musical ability or gives a worthwhile opinion.

I suppose in a forum that have a significant number of contributors, there will always be a minority who because of their possible lack of intellect/musical ability/contribution, will attempt to elevate their status in other ways - like being sensationalist.

At the end of the day, your musical ability and experience overrides anything these people decide to post.

And really, you don't even have to defend yourself. Your music and playing speaks for itself.

It's the same people that recently derided musicians for (gasp) being able to read music.................I think that says it all.

You have to realise that you are dealing with quite a few "dinosaurs" that frequent this place :rolleyes:

EDIT:_ forget to mention - if you don't own a Fender (preferably one older than your parents), this is maybe not the place to be - it's a prejudice thing :)

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote]You have to realise that you are dealing with quite a few "dinosaurs" that frequent this place wink.gif

EDIT:_ forget to mention - if you don't own a Fender (preferably one older than your parents), this is maybe not the place to be - it's a prejudice thing tongue.gif[/quote]

Come on. You accuse others of being trolls and then you say stuff like this.

Besides Janek uses Fender gear, according to his wiki. Which he wrote himself.

[quote name='Waldo' post='533406' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:53 PM']Come on. You accuse others of being trolls and then you say stuff like this.[/quote]

There is a huge difference between supporting comments from an outstanding committed and very capable musician, attempting to protect his valuable opinion, and having to read derisory comments from people who don't have a pedigree or the CV to either criticize or be judgmental.

The baiting has to stop - get your brownie points somewhere else. All you are doing is getting this forum a bad name.

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='Waldo' post='533406' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:53 PM'].

Besides Janek uses Fender gear, according to his wiki. Which he wrote himself.[/quote]

Yes, we have all used Fender stuff, and that might be a great reason why some of us don't use it now.

I had the benefit of seeing the stuff come in to a major music chain that I worked for in the 70's/80's.

I wouldn't use it to light a fire, it really was that bad.

Spinning, whirling, still desending, liKE A SPIRAL SEA UNENDING!!!!
SOUND AND FURY BREAK MY HEART, EVERY NERVE IS TORN APARTTTTTtttttt......

I'm telling you guys one last time, if you continue to be up yourselves, then the full fury of Neil Peart will be unleashed. :)

Hi there, still have a hate thing going on with Thatcher/Reagan, so maybe a bit of transference going. :)
Classical, Jazz, Rock n Roll. We all have our yard stick, where we belong, but this is a bassists forum, we need to impart our knowledge, so we can become better musicians but, if we lived in a brighter world, the music that we love would become like mobile phone jingles, we need tension, to create good music.

Been having a great read through this thread. I've had a bad day and this has cheered me up :)

I'd like to just comment on one point. Stradavarii are, of course, considered the holy-grail of violins, but here's an interesting snippet from Wiki:

[i]Above all, these instruments are famous for the quality of sound they produce. However, the many blind tests from 1817 to the present (as of 2000) have never found any difference in sound between Stradivarii and high-quality violins in comparable style of other makers and periods, nor has acoustic analysis. In a particularly famous test on a BBC Radio 3 program in 1977, the great violinists Isaac Stern and Pinchas Zukerman and the violin expert and dealer Charles Beare tried to distinguish among the "Chaconne" Stradivarius, a 1739 Guarneri del Gesú, an 1846 Vuillaume, and a 1976 British violin played behind a screen by a professional soloist. The two violinists were allowed to play all the instruments first. None of the listeners identified more than two of the four instruments; two of the listeners identified the 20th-century violin as the Stradivarius.[/i]

Taking this forward, does it mean then that Fodera's sound like any other bass??

It's really all a nonsense anyway. There isn't a 'perfect' bass just opinions on what the 'perfect' instrument is. If you love your Encore then that's fine, if you love your Fodera that's fine as well. I'm sure there players, like myself, who have basses which others would consider far from 'perfect', but who cares? Each to their own and respect is due to every bass player here, be they a beginner or pro.

OK, I've stepped off the soapbox now :rolleyes:

[quote name='7string' post='533464' date='Jul 6 2009, 12:33 AM']It's really all a nonsense anyway. There isn't a 'perfect' bass just opinions on what the 'perfect' instrument is. If you love your Encore then that's fine, if you love your Fodera that's fine as well. I'm sure there players, like myself, who have basses which others would consider far from 'perfect', but who cares? Each to their own and respect is due to every bass player here, be they a beginner or pro.[/quote]
+10000000000

And at that point, please can everybody direct any further Fodera/other top-end bass related postings to the 'Boutique basses' thread.
Back onto the specific BGM topic here, please.