Why become a member? ×

FINISHED!! Warmoth Jazz

SisterAbdullahX

Finally, after 2 years of sitting half completed in the corner of my bedroom, my Warmoth Jazz is done. Only finished last night (well, 3am) and only had half hours play through an amp, and that was at minimal volume. Will give my full thoughts after it's been further tinkered with and gigged a few times, however, initial feeling is it's a beauty. The ACG/East filter based pre already has given out a few lovely hints as to what it's fully capable of. It does require a rethink as to how you achieve your chosen tone (or tones, cos there's lots of 'em in there), as has been mentioned by others who've fitted it, but I think it's gonna be a revelation when I've fully got to grips with it. The same for the Nordstrands, Jazz Bass heaven!

Really enjoyed the whole build process. Learned a few things along the way. Did all the shielding myself (this time last week I didn't know what "star grounding" was!), dressed the fret ends and rolled the edge of the fingerboard as well (Warmoth leave the frets pretty much alone after they've been fitted, so the edges are quite square, and I forgot to stipulate that I wanted the fingerboard edges rolled when I placed my order).

Have to take this opportunity to say a massive THANK YOU to Alan at ACG for all his help, advice, patience (having to answer the same question, just rephrased, over and over...) and almost instant replies. What an absolutely top guy.

The only thing to bugger the experience up was noticing that I'd somehow managed to chip the finish near the control plate when I was screwing in the last screw. Don't know how I did it, was extra careful. It's hard to see from a distance but I know it's there and it really pisses me off!

THE SPECS; Swamp ash body, finished in Vintage White (by Warmoth). Birdseye maple neck, finished in clear
satin on the back and clear gloss on the front of the headstock. Ebony fingerboard.
Nordstrand NJ4SE split coil pickups. ACG/John East EQ02 filter based pre. Badass BassII bridge.
Schaller machines. Control/pickup cavities copper shielded.

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='449315' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:31 AM']Ultimate jazz bass colour. What sort of finish is that? A coloured poly or a polyed over white? Or something completely different?

Did it come prefinished from Warmoth or did you finish it/get it finished?[/quote]

According to the Warmoth site, they use a couple of coats of poly to fill the grain, then the colour coat is applied, then the final coats are Urethane, which are then sanded and buffed. The whole finish is less than 12 housands of an inch thick, which I can testify to when I dinged it (ouch)!

I picked the body from the Showcase and had them finish it. The colour is Vintage White, although the flash on my camera makes it look more like Olympic White in this pic. I love it. It looks great in the flesh and the lack of a pick guard makes the whole thing look clean, uncluttered and classy!

[quote name='Golchen' post='449318' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:35 AM']Nice. I'd quite like to put together a Warmoth bass. Might have to look into it again.[/quote]

Cheers! Go for it! I really enjoyed it, so much so that I'm at a loose end now. Well, that is after the wife's wrenched it out of my hands. I'd love to do another but the exchange rate isn't as favourable as it was when I got it.

[quote name='josh3184' post='450001' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:56 PM']don't quote it or it'll take three years to scroll down to the bottom of the page!

Seriously nice bass though :rolleyes:[/quote]

I was only 44 when i started scrolling...nice bass though...thinking about getting an ACG or an East for my parts white jazz...mines has a Fender Oly White AmDlx body with an Allparts neck, Seymour Duncan pups, Hipshot tuners and Bad Ass bridge...the lightest bass i've ever held, i know that people decry the AmDlx bodies for their smaller size and differing pup placement, but they certainly make for a lighter bass, the 75 RI jazz i had weighed a ton compared to my parts jazz and i can live without having Fender on the headstock. :)

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='449109' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:51 PM']Finally, after 2 years of sitting half completed in the corner of my bedroom, my Warmoth Jazz is done. Only finished last night (well, 3am) and only had half hours play through an amp, and that was at minimal volume. Will give my full thoughts after it's been further tinkered with and gigged a few times, however, initial feeling is it's a beauty. The ACG/East filter based pre already has given out a few lovely hints as to what it's fully capable of. It does require a rethink as to how you achieve your chosen tone (or tones, cos there's lots of 'em in there), as has been mentioned by others who've fitted it, but I think it's gonna be a revelation when I've fully got to grips with it. The same for the Nordstrands, Jazz Bass heaven!

Really enjoyed the whole build process. Learned a few things along the way. Did all the shielding myself (this time last week I didn't know what "star grounding" was!), dressed the fret ends and rolled the edge of the fingerboard as well (Warmoth leave the frets pretty much alone after they've been fitted, so the edges are quite square, and I forgot to stipulate that I wanted the fingerboard edges rolled when I placed my order).

Have to take this opportunity to say a massive THANK YOU to Alan at ACG for all his help, advice, patience (having to answer the same question, just rephrased, over and over...) and almost instant replies. What an absolutely top guy.

The only thing to bugger the experience up was noticing that I'd somehow managed to chip the finish near the control plate when I was screwing in the last screw. Don't know how I did it, was extra careful. It's hard to see from a distance but I know it's there and it really pisses me off!

THE SPECS; Swamp ash body, finished in Vintage White (by Warmoth). Birdseye maple neck, finished in clear
satin on the back and clear gloss on the front of the headstock. Ebony fingerboard.
Nordstrand NJ4SE split coil pickups. ACG/John East EQ02 filter based pre. Badass BassII bridge.
Schaller machines. Control/pickup cavities copper shielded.[/quote]Get those frets polished with some Tcut, or, if you can buff them on a wheel, even better.

[quote name='lonestar' post='450465' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:03 PM']I find making the fretboard and using Brasso works well and it's non abrasive.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a job still to do. I did a quick job on them after filing the fret ends using steel wool. Still needs a bit of fine tuning on the set up, so plan to polish them then.

Anyone suggest the best thing to treat the ebony board? Heard that lemon oil is the stuff, but also heard that it isn't the stuff!

And while I'm on, the chip I mysteriously put in (couldn't have been more careful), which you can see if you zoom in on the body shot near the control cavity. It looks like a black speck, so it's gone through the colour, any way I could use some kind of colour fill or something to repair it. I know it's gonna get it's dings, but not bloody yet! Pee's me off to know it's there cos the rest of it looks so pristine.

Thanks for all your nice comments, chaps!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='449434' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:15 PM']Cheers! Lets see yours![/quote]

Ooooh Matron.

Not that I'm one to flash my Warmoth about but I haven't posted any pics of it for about a week.

These 2 basses are probably a good indicator of the extremes Warmoth can go to for what you want.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='451770' date='Apr 1 2009, 05:42 PM']Ooooh Matron.

Not that I'm one to flash my Warmoth about but I haven't posted any pics of it for about a week.

These 2 basses are probably a good indicator of the extremes Warmoth can go to for what you want.[/quote]

Woah! That's a beauty. Get more on. need to see the red one !

Ah, the 12 string. Sadly I no longer have that one but did use it for a while with my rock band. The kind of music I play and the type of player I am didn't suit.

You can't go hell for leather with it, otherwise you end up with a lot of noise and mush.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='453974' date='Apr 4 2009, 11:46 AM']Ah, the 12 string. Sadly I no longer have that one but did use it for a while with my rock band. The kind of music I play and the type of player I am didn't suit.

You can't go hell for leather with it, otherwise you end up with a lot of noise and mush.

[/quote]

Jeez, that's well nice as well. Is that a Warmoth body? Don't recall seeing that shape on the website.