Why become a member? ×

5 string P bass options

JPJ

5 string split coil P basses seem to be fairly rare beasts. I know Fender and Lakland produce them but you don’t see a lot of them about (yes I know there’s a sunburst Fender for sale on here). 
I built mine a good few years ago but I’ve never been happy with the finish so I’m thinking of either a rebuild or buying new/used. Are there any other manufacturers I should be considering?

D487A1F2-7264-4BAD-8B3B-91AB9A070AD4.jpeg

46 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Sandberg VS5
Maruszczyk Jake
Yamaha BB435/BB735/BBP35
Sire P7 or upcoming P5

I’m tempted by the Sire P5, if it’s as good as my V7 I’d be a happy chap, but no info on delivery dates yet.

I’ve had a Sandberg VS5, Sire and Yamaha BBP35 and now have a US Professional P bass. They’re all great, but at being a P bass the Fender is hands down best. Perhaps unsurprisingly. The Sire P5 looks like it’s going to be a winner. 

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Mike Lull P5 - a perfect P-bass combined with the light weights that only Mike seemed to know how to achieve.

Where are you based, @JPJ?

Hi,

I’m just north of Newcastle upon Tyne

In terms of value for money, it's going to be hard to beat Sire for an active PJ bass or Yamaha for passive. 

I've had the Sire P7, great bass, only gripe for me is that it felt like it had only 17 accessible frets which was a little constraining for me, but I suspect may not an issue for a lot of folk. And it has a ridiculously well featured preamp, in terms of EQ options including semi-para mids. 

If you like passive and are cool with Yamaha body shape (it's not everyone's cup of tea), I'd actually recommend a used "Series 2" Yamaha: either the BB 425 or the 1025: there's a lot of love for both on the Yammy thread and for very good reason. They are superb basses and hold their own with basses costing several times as much. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1