Why become a member? ×

old horror story from eBay's Global Shipping Program

Yep, I am always careful I make sure the global shipping thing is off. My wife made the mistake of not switching it off on one of her items, then the guy (in the states) decided he had changed his mind and he didn't want it, so ebay wanted to write it off, but in the end she got it sorted. Still a hassle though.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep, I am always careful I make sure the global shipping thing is off. My wife made the mistake of not switching it off on one of her items, then the guy (in the states) decided he had changed his mind and he didn't want it, so ebay wanted to write it off, but in the end she got it sorted. Still a hassle though.

I think it’s compulsory now

It does seem a bit insane to 'liquify' shipments without making an effort to return to sender; if that's the truth, then jeepers.

Words kind of fail me here.  It would be interesting (just from a point of perspective), to know whether this is a rare instance or normal practice. 

Can you imagine the tangible loss of the GSP destroying a true one-off, something rare/vintage (I seem to recall a 'priceless' violin going into a crusher, here) or prototype because it was oversized or too heavy?

39 minutes ago, ped said:

It won’t have been destroyed. It’ll turn up somewhere having been auctioned at one of the shipping companies ‘lost item’ hauls. Tell him to keep his eyes open. 

After six years? I suspect not ...

43 minutes ago, Geddys nose said:

Still makes me sad the Gibson destruction of the Firebird X because they did not sell, I would have had one if the price was right. They now go for mega money.

https://youtu.be/dd7ySopIwog

Honestly, while there was innovation at work with this model, it wasn't that good.  The guitar itself was only one part of the package; there was a controller unit (about the size of a class-d amp) that you needed to carry around too.

Gibson argued that it wouldn't have been cost effective to pull out the tech out of the guitars,  revert them 'normal' and make good, so this stunt was the only way to go.  There was this nonsensical comment about 'dangerous metals' being used in the manufacturing process (but those metals were clearly ok if you owned the guitar, eh?).

This publicity stunt backfired horribly for the company.  Whoever thought this was a good idea should have been given the sack. 

It does raise the question if what happens to other the scratch and ding Gibsons that don't make the grade?  Probably get pushed over to the custom shop and converted into distressed 50s reissues.