Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

11 minutes ago, prowla said:

Well, I've just joined the club, pending arrival of the v3 from the Panda folks...

I had looked at s/h ones (which are upgradeable), but a new v3 is under €300, so that'll do nicely.

welcome to the club!

best clear your diary for a few weeks after you get it :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prowla said:

Well, I've just joined the club, pending arrival of the v3 from the Panda folks...

I had looked at s/h ones (which are upgradeable), but a new v3 is under €300, so that'll do nicely.

Nice. Make sure you order an interface to have ready for when it arrives. Roland UM-One MK2 is the most reliable. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Nice. Make sure you order an interface to have ready for when it arrives. Roland UM-One MK2 is the most reliable. 

I've got some other MIDI kit, including a Yamaha U16 USB interface, so hopefully that'll work.

My MIDI rack made an appearance at a recent Bass Bash.

a63o8VV.jpg

I've dabbled with a couple of other synth pedals too.

JVAbGzR.jpg

So this should be fun...

The SS is great, but limited in saved settings.

Edited by prowla

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

I've got some other MIDI kit, including a Yamaha U16 USB interface, so hopefully that'll work.

My MIDI rack made an appearance at a recent Bass Bash.

a63o8VV.jpg

I've dabbled with a couple of other synth pedals too.

JVAbGzR.jpg

So this should be fun...

The SS is great, but limited in saved settings.

The FI smokes the super synth, which doesn’t even have a square wave.

Minitaur is phat.

You might still find you need the Roland. Not all interfaces can handle the large amount of midi data. My Focusrite Scarlett is fine for patch creation, saving and general use but cannot handle the firmware updates or the process of writing 99 patches to the pedal.  

Edited by Quatschmacher

18 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The FI smokes the super synth... 

Yeah I'm afraid it does! 

The SS was decent in its day but the decade old tech under its bonnet is definitely starting to be shown up by several of the newer kids on the block. 

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I am using a midi controller keyboard a lot with my FI nowadays, basically giving me best of both worlds. Anybody else doing that?

Have you tried sending notes from the MC6? Does your keyboard have a sequencer? You can trigger the FI with a sequencer too. An Arturia Keystep would be a good companion.

Edited by Quatschmacher

20 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Have you tried sending notes from the MC6? Does your keyboard have a sequencer? You can trigger the FI with a sequencer too. An Arturia Keystep would be a good companion.

Yes, to all. I have a keyboard with sequencer, midi Out into the MC6 (on the correct midi channel) and midi Out on MC6 to FI Midi In.

FANTAAAAAAAAASTIC!

Edited by HazBeen

12 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Yes, to all. I have a keyboard with sequencer, midi Out into the MC6 (on the correct midi channel) and midi Out on MC6 to FI Midi In.

FANTAAAAAAAAASTIC!

I also meant sending notes from the footswitches on the MC6 so you can play the foot pedals while still playing bass. 

56 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I also meant sending notes from the footswitches on the MC6 so you can play the foot pedals while still playing bass. 

I hadn't realised it could play notes from a MIDI controller - I may be giving that a try...

iISvXdF.jpg

OGmDN4y.jpg

• Like 1

OK I'm back. Didn't hurt a bit! Two YT vids, one demystified MIDI, the other showed the FI linked to its software which basically looks very much like a synthesiser without the need to plug in a spaghetti junction of jack plugs. 

I am no longer scared 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I am still trying to join the club. 

But while I wait I suppose I should find out what midi is. After getting away with not knowing for all these years. 

Oh God this is going to hurt isn't it? 

I was very late to the party. It’s 1980s tech so pretty easy really. The format was, until very, very recently still on 1.0! It’s not as daunting as it might seem. Ask if you have questions. 

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

OK I'm back. Didn't hurt a bit! Two YT vids, one demystified MIDI, the other showed the FI linked to its software which basically looks very much like a synthesiser without the need to plug in a spaghetti junction of jack plugs. 

I am no longer scared 

The editor is a little different now, but more logical. Have a read of the manual. I wrote it in such a way as to hopefully be easily digestible and wrote a section on building sounds from scratch.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I hadn't realised it could play notes from a MIDI controller - I may be giving that a try...

iISvXdF.jpg

OGmDN4y.jpg

Yep, that will work nicely. You can flip between the two modes simply by either playing a midi note or by playing your instrument. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

4 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Ah okay. That is not something that works for my needs, but I am aware that works. Good for laying down Taurus-esque notes a la Geddy.

• Like 1