Why become a member? ×

Blown driver in EA VL110

pete.young

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='454164' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:24 PM']I doubt that's the case. Look more closely.[/quote]

Coo, so it is. Under all that foam, a 1" wide slot under the front baffle.

Got some more information on the specs from EA - I guess if you want the right answer you have to ask the right question. Alex, you were very close!

Fs = 50Hz

Vas = 40.3 liters

Qe = 0.43

Qm = 11.73

Can't find anything that's an exact match - what's the consequence of having a lower Vas ?

[quote name='pete.young' post='455780' date='Apr 6 2009, 02:48 PM']Coo, so it is. Under all that foam, a 1" wide slot under the front baffle.

Got some more information on the specs from EA - I guess if you want the right answer you have to ask the right question. Alex, you were very close!

Fs = 50Hz

Vas = 40.3 liters

Qe = 0.43

Qm = 11.73

Can't find anything that's an exact match - what's the consequence of having a lower Vas ?[/quote]Vas is the least significant spec, and smaller is generally better. What about xmax? The foam surround of the original usually indicates at least 6mm, which is difficult to find in a musical instrument ten.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='headofire' post='1269747' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:18 AM']I've gone and popped my woofer.... did you get anywhere with this? didn't even hear it going till it was too late. Did Anone find a suitable replacement driver?[/quote]

I contacted EA in the states and they sold me a recone kit, which my local amp repair genius fitted. Problem solved.

At one point John Dong at EA sent me a link to a site in the US with what he thought was the nearest commercial offering to the VL110 driver, but unfortunately I don't still have the email or the link. I think your best bet is to get in touch with EA and see if they still have any recone kits.

[quote name='pete.young' post='448628' date='Mar 29 2009, 01:01 PM']And by the way - there's no need to chastise me for breaking this cab. I'm gutted. It arose out of a set of circumstances that I really should have prevented - using it for too loud a gig, using a head that had the potential to overpower it, not wearing my earplugs and being deafened by the drummer to the point where I couldn't hear the sound breaking up until it was too late. Inshort, failing to obey Alex's rule. I'll be very upset if I can't get it working again.[/quote]

I think this is pertinent... I see on here lots of examples of too much power potentially going through cabs that aren't going to have much of a safety margin especially as bass can be brutal on a chassis'

Loud drummers and loud gtrs and by then it is too late. I'd always have 40% or so more cab power than amp..no question unless the gig had no drums.
No one can really know on any given amp where the dial is capable of producing what....Marshall were very loud at 2 on volume..and never got much louder, but people assumed it had loads left in it.. :) There was never a reason everyone used to run at 11..it never made any difference :) it was just easier to flatten the pots..

Of course some people squeeze designs a bit and then need to run higher power to compensate..which kind of makes a mockery of efficiency stats, but who cares, it is all on the ears anyone and once a situation is there where the volume of the band has lost control, you've lost control of being able to save the speaker..or even being able to hear it.

I may have used crap speakers in the past - and blown them - and they don't have anything like the ratings of today..but that is to assume you can believe those ratings.

With my 400watt amp into 4ohms..I reckon I'd blow any single cab speaker if I was stupid enough to run it that way. that is assuming the cab didn't choke my amp to a silly degree.

Bespoke speakers are a problem when things go wrong and it is an educated guess what to replace it with if the chassis is discontinued or the stats not forthcoming.
I'd always always go with a recone if possible.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1271195' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:14 AM']....Loud drummers and loud gtrs and by then it is too late. I'd always have 40% or so more cab power than amp..no question unless the gig had no drums....[/quote]
I always use 2 cabs if a drummer is involved!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1271231' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:33 AM']I always use 2 cabs if a drummer is involved![/quote]

Yes..tends to be my maxin as well.
2x210 and 2x112.

I don't currently have anything else. I have a weird desire for a 610 though... ?????? :)
no idea how I'll carry it though..or if I want to :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1271231' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:33 AM']I always use 2 cabs if a drummer is involved![/quote]

My single 2x12 EBS is more than adequate for coping with a loud drummer, and gives much more bottom end than two EBS 1x12s. You would use two 8x10s?

Back on topic - yes I still have two VL110s including the one that I got from headoffire and the one with the reconed driver, and I only ever use them in a pair with an EA iAmp 350, which seems like a reasonable match. Lesson learned.