Why become a member? ×

Would I have caused damage?

waynepunkdude

The other night I borrowed a cab from another band, the guy had a 2 X 10 and a 1 X 15 both 4ohms so with my 4ohm head I only used 1 well that's what I thought until after we had played when the soundman said "I plugged the other one in for you, you can use both you know?" I almost hit him, anyway it all sounded fine but would the knob have caused any lasting damage?

[quote name='josh3184' post='447440' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:03 PM']only if you turned it up a ton (i think)

but that soundguy is retarded[/quote]

Too late to worry about it now. If your amp is still working... count yourself lucky.

Soundguy needs shooting.

"explode" might be a bit dramatic.

But no, your amp should be fine. Most well built amps are much tougher to kill than people give them credit for...current limiting, output protection...it's all there for a reason! Plus even if the amp says 4 ohm minimum, many can handle a 2 ohm load anyways -- not recommended, of course.

Your amp will be fine.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='447770' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:00 PM']I was thinking about the 2 ohm amps I had seen, and the common factor is huge heatsinks, is being capable of 2 ohm mostly a case of being able to control some fairly serious heat?[/quote]

I think that's the main factor. There's also the issue of not being able to deliver enough current but I don't know whether that's likely to cause damage anywhere within the amp. But it's the increased current flow and the reduced amp efficiency that causes more heat output from the power transistors and thus overheating issues.

This is why the AccuSwitch survived so long - if you're using a pair of dual woofer (i.e. big!) AccuGroove cabs you're unlikely to be pushing an amp hard enough to get failure due to excessively low impedance. I know one bassist whose amp died on a outdoor gig though.

It's soundmen like that that taint the good ones' names! Honestly...

Alex

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='447770' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:00 PM']I was thinking about the 2 ohm amps I had seen, and the common factor is huge heatsinks, is being capable of 2 ohm mostly a case of being able to control some fairly serious heat?[/quote]

As Alex mentioned, there are some serious demands on the power supply as well, if the power supply is operated at or beyond its intended limit (ie if it needs to provide more current than it is capable of) then it is likely that either the power supply will fail due to thermal stress or the transformer itself will fail, again from too high of a current draw likely causing overheating and triggering the internal thermal fuse. Large current draws cause power supply rail sag as well -- this is sometimes exploited in tube amplifiers, but is really only detrimental in SS ones.

The huge heatsinks are because every time the current through the output stage is doubled, the power dissipated by the output transistors is multiplied by four. Which causes them to heat up, which causes their internal resistance to lower, which causes more current flow, which causes them to heat up more -- and so on, in a condition known as thermal runaway. Silicon transistors can run comfortably and sometimes even best at around 60 to 90 degrees C, but once this gets up to the critical temperature of around 150 C then that's the end of it.