ProfJames

Intro to pedals and effect boxes.....

7 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Playing with an amp, my first set-up was a Big Muff pi, Morley Wah, and a tape echo, in that order. Hours of fun, and chases cats well. I do love a chorus, BTW, currently using an antique Line6 PODX3 Live because I have a stereo situation (Stick). But I still have a Morley wah...Make their ears bleed, mate, it's the only way us bassists can get some recognition, and respect (fear).

You are @Leonard Smalls and I claim my £5. :|

xD :P

Check out the Boss GT-1B as well as the Zoom B3n. Both are gigable. I have both but prefer the Boss. 

Posted (edited)

Best investment is a high pass filter (aka low cut) pedal. This limits low end energy and actually makes the bass louder in the mix. If you use a tube amp, you might like a treble boost. It saturates the input tube and provides a creamy distortion that you can weave in and out of as you dig in. I find this to be a good thing. Compression can be handy. I use a tuner pedal but I usually play out of tune anyway.

Then there's building your own pedal from a kit. Many options there. 

Edited by beans-on-toast

For individual pedals I'd recommend buying used rather than budget new pedals. That way any you don't like you can sell on without losing money. 

You might find that you  hear a great pedal used by one of your favourite bassists or in a YouTube video which sounds amazing but then plug it in to your bass and amp and it sounds completely different. Can't go wrong with anything by Earthquake Devices though. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beans-on-toast said:

Best investment is a low pass filter (aka high cut) pedal. This limits low end energy and actually makes the bass louder in the mix. If you use a tube amp, you might like a treble boost. It saturates the input tube and provides a creamy distortion that you can weave in and out of as you dig in. I find this to be a good thing. Compression can be handy. I use a tuner pedal but I usually play out of tune anyway.

Then there's building your own pedal from a kit. Many options there. 

Limiting woolly low energy would be a High Pass Filter.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Limiting woolly low energy would be a High Pass Filter.

Thanks, I fixed that. I'm dyslexic and get things backwards when I type faster than I think. 😥

Edited by beans-on-toast
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I don't get it...

I'm not surprised; it's a long-standing 'in joke' between myself and my friend Lenny, based on his extensive use of Fx of all sorts (and more...) in his entries offered for the monthly Basschat Composition Challenge (participation in which I heartily recommend...). As a recently-arrived member to the Forum, it would be surprising if the fruitful flow of our joviality was limpid, but give it some time and you'll soon enough find yourself exchanging equally odd quips, once complicity has been established. Don't fret it; go with the flow. :friends: