Why become a member? ×

Intro to pedals and effect boxes.....

ProfJames

Best place for advice is on the forum so can yo usend some suggestions, opinions please?  Never got involved with effects pedals, etc so wanted to know a simple way to get involved if that is possible?  Recommend a good pedeal, effects box that I can practise with please........

Got a feeling this will cost me money but welcome all advice, as ever and thank you..............

Probably the easiest way in to effects is to buy a relatively inexpensive multi effects like a Zoom B3 or a Line 6 M5. They are good sounding units that are perfectly giggable, and they'll let you play around and find sounds you like. Alternatively, you can buy some good inexpensive pedals these days. TC Electronic make a good range of pedals that are under £50 each.  It really depends if you have specific sounds that you know you want, or if you just want to play around and experiment.  If you get in to effects, it can get expensive, as you keep looking for the next cool sound.

Also, have a listen to guys like Tim Lefebvre, Doug Wimbish, Janek Gwizdala, Justin Meldal Johnsen, and Juan Alderete (amongst others) to hear how they work effects in to their playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As said above, a decent budget multi-effect is a good place to start. Especially if you can borrow (as in your case).

As also said, decent budget individual pedals are available. Watch out for the 'boutique' pedals, going down that road can get expensive.

Also think about how you will power the pedals...... you don't want to lose power due to a flat battery. And batteries can be expensive too. Many use a mains power pack to run their pedals. I use a rechargable battery pack to avoid mains leads on stage.

Not exactly an effect, but you may wonder about using compression. In this case you may find a lot of heated debate about it on on-line forums 😉.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Why not watch some YouTube videos, won't cost you a thing, and you'll get an idea what they sound like?

Done a bit of that but believe me for someone who has only ever used an amp, it is always good to get on ere and ask for first hand advice!  

2 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Best place for advice is on the forum so can yo usend some suggestions, opinions please? .

Have a listen to what @Leonard Smalls does with pedals (despite having an excellent bass...). If that doesn't put you off pedals, fx and trickery, I despair. :(

xD :P

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

This is a deep rabbit hole, if you like to tinker and have some patience, I would hight recommend getting a Line 6 HX Stomp.  This is used by so many bassist's and it's got huge potential. I would recommend picking one up 2nd hand and if you chose not to go down the pedal rabbit hole you can sell it on and not really lose any money. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

This is a deep rabbit hole, if you like to tinker and have some patience, I would hight recommend getting a Line 6 HX Stomp.  This is used by so many bassist's and it's got huge potential. I would recommend picking one up 2nd hand and if you chose not to go down the pedal rabbit hole you can sell it on and not really lose any money. 

Thank you.  Is the Line 6 a "standard" type device that most bassists would use first?

7 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Thank you.  Is the Line 6 a "standard" type device that most bassists would use first?

It wouldn't necessarily be the pedal they would use first, as there are much cheaper Line 6 models. However it is in my experience what most bassist's that want a small package high quality multi effects pedal will end up with. 

It has most effects that you would want on it, along with amp & cab modelling. 

The downside to it is there is a learning curve to it, but once you invest some time with it it's completely worth it. 

Its worth having a long at the mammoth HX stomp thread in the effects section of basschat. 

• Thanks 1

I'd say that a good starting point would be a Zoom B1 Four, think that they're around £65-ish new, £85-ish with the Expression (Wah) pedal.

The only downside to the multi effects, is that most of the preset patches tend to highlight what the effects can do, rather than making your playing sound better. You need to approach them as if you have a new single pedal, and find a good setting with that first, then move on to the next effect you want to try out. IIRC, the Zoom B1 Four is also compatible with their patch edit software, so you can plug it in to the USB on your PC/Mac/Tablet/whatever, and be able to edit effects on there. Another added bonus with them though, is that you can set up and amp/cab simulation for practising with headphones.

Individual pedals are somewhat less complex, but have a lot of trial and error before you find "the one", and that's before you start adding other pedals, pedal boards, power supplies, patch leads etc.

I think the "simple" Zoom pedals would be the starting point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

Would now be a good time for me to casually mention that I currently have a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live languishing in our marketplace FX For Sale section? :D ...

35 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

@Rich...........left myself wide open to that one!  School boy error.  Let me do a bit of research please and I'll get back to you.......thx

That is a top-notch piece of kit, with just about every type of Fx, for, in my opinion, a very reasonable price. Hours of fun, and it's solid, so won't wear out, however 'enthusiastic' you become. It works as a USB recording interface, is mains-powered (so no batteries...); no patch leads to mess about with. A Very Good Deal, I say. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 2

Another +1 for a budget multifx to get to grips with what pedals you're likely to want, before forking out ££'s for specific dedicated pedals.

Personally I'd go for something recent such as the Zoom B1-4 over the out of production models, as these have the latest chipsets and are still being supported by Zoom with new software updates. Added to that you'll actually be able to pick one up new for less than e.g. a used B3. They also double up as a really useful tuner, home practice drum machine, EQ pedal and headphone amp, so really are amazing value.

Here's mine pretending to be a mini rig...

Studio mini 21-03.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

That is a top-notch piece of kit, with just about every type of Fx, for, in my opinion, a very reasonable price. Hours of fun, and it's solid, so won't wear out, however 'enthusiastic' you become. It works as a USB recording interface, is mains-powered (so no batteries...); no patch leads to mess about with. A Very Good Deal, I say. :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks mate, the cheque's in the post :lol:

• Haha 1

Playing with an amp, my first set-up was a Big Muff pi, Morley Wah, and a tape echo, in that order. Hours of fun, and chases cats well. I do love a chorus, BTW, currently using an antique Line6 PODX3 Live because I have a stereo situation (Stick). But I still have a Morley wah...Make their ears bleed, mate, it's the only way us bassists can get some recognition, and respect (fear).

• Haha 1