Why become a member? ×

cheap custom thumb

kevbass

thru neck custom grey finish with sims led's for 750 quid, bargain! [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Thumb-bass-grey_W0QQitemZ200323288498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item200323288498&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1761%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Thumb-bass-g...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

and better quality control and handmade instead of the more mass produced techniques they use now i believe (could be wrong but thats my understanding)

and dont have a go at warwick neck, my $$ has one of the slimmest and fasted necks I've ever had the pleasure of laying my hands on :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='442950' date='Mar 23 2009, 07:23 PM']thru neck custom grey finish with sims led's for 750 quid, bargain! [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Thumb-bass-grey_W0QQitemZ200323288498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item200323288498&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1761%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Thumb-bass-g...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Ah but now £900!

[quote name='kevbass' post='443256' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:02 PM']Anyone get the feeling someone messaged him and told him he was selling a little too cheaply? still at 900 quid its still a good buy![/quote]

If LEDs are your thing then this is a decent price however not half as good as £750 would have been! :)

This may well go for the BIN but in the present economic climate I have my reservations.

[quote name='josh3184' post='443050' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:30 PM']and better quality control and handmade instead of the more mass produced techniques they use now i believe (could be wrong but thats my understanding)

and dont have a go at warwick neck, my $$ has one of the slimmest and fasted necks I've ever had the pleasure of laying my hands on :rolleyes:[/quote]
don't believe you :)

"23/3/09 - sorry guys / gals, but I have been advised by several very generous individuals, that I have seriously underpriced this baby (especially as it's an early one, and has LEDs in the neck), so I'm afraid the price has had to go up"

Why would someone do that?! :)

I really want this.
Anyone have any idea how much it would have cost new? I realise it's pretty much completely a custom job, but i've never even seen a Warwick with this finish...is it rare? He's also selling a 6-er (slightly cheaper!) with the same finish...

Also a plague on the house of the person who said he should sell it for more!

I almost hit the BIN last night at £750, bit pissed off that I didn't. The only reason that I didn't is because I've not got the cash from selling another bass yet and £750 would have completely wiped me out, and it would have also been quite a gamble as I’d be banking on my other deal going through quick without any issues. I'm not impressed that the guy has published my email address on the eBay listing though, guess it's my fault...

Really knows his Basses as well - "I can't remember if the LED's were in it when I bought it" :)
I suppose it's possible, but the way the auction has been run, and some of the later disclosures, make me think 'what else is/could be a bit funny?" (Funny-hmmm, not funny-haha) :rolleyes:

It is a bit suspicious. I was wondering the same thing last night, and I saw the day it's meant to run out on....

And now he's put my message on there with the email address...Great.

Edited by Jam

[quote name='Jam' post='443470' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:47 AM']I really want this.
Anyone have any idea how much it would have cost new? I realise it's pretty much completely a custom job, but i've never even seen a Warwick with this finish...is it rare? He's also selling a 6-er (slightly cheaper!) with the same finish...

Also a plague on the house of the person who said he should sell it for more![/quote]

Just my idle musings. :)

New back in 1989/90 the 4 stringer would have been about £1600 (if it were a standard bass), if it was a custom order it could well have cost £2000 - £2500 (+LED work).

The paint job looks very professional and could well be from the factory BUT... the fact that the LEDs are retrofit and hence the battery compartment was put in at a later date (originally it would only have required 1 battery) makes me wonder if the paint job isn't post production. I accept that SIMs would have routed the battery compartment very professionally but something is niggling my subconscious. I have no idea how SIMs fit the LEDs but would this need any modifications to the bass that would have marred the finish? Also the fact that he owns a 2nd Warwick with an almost identical style paint job (though different colour) in almost perfect condition (as per the 4 string) makes me have a 'sneaking' suspicion that he is pals with a professional paint finisher. Either way both paint jobs look very tasty and without seeing the end of the bass in the flesh it will always be speculation unless he has some form of authentication from when it was new.

As to why someone bigged up the price - They obviously DIDN'T want to buy it and may well own a Thumb bass themselves and would rather see similar basses going for more money there-by increasing the perceived value of their bass!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='443918' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:09 PM']As to why someone bigged up the price - They obviously DIDN'T want to buy it and may well own a Thumb bass themselves and would rather see similar basses going for more money there-by increasing the perceived value of their bass![/quote]

obviously they're a twat :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='443256' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:02 PM']Anyone get the feeling someone messaged him and told him he was selling a little too cheaply? still at 900 quid its still a good buy![/quote]

[quote name='joe_bass' post='443430' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:08 AM']"23/3/09 - sorry guys / gals, but I have been advised by several very generous individuals, that I have seriously underpriced this baby (especially as it's an early one, and has LEDs in the neck), so I'm afraid the price has had to go up"

Why would someone do that?! :)[/quote]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='443943' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:29 PM']obviously they're a twat :D[/quote]

Of course the fact that someone has placed a bid means that the BIN of £750/£900 is gone and immaterial...

Increase in BIN or not, someone could now potentially scoop this for less than the £750 any way! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='443918' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:09 PM']Just my idle musings. :)

New back in 1989/90 the 4 stringer would have been about £1600 (if it were a standard bass), if it was a custom order it could well have cost £2000 - £2500 (+LED work).[/quote]
In 1987, my Thumb NT with a natural finish was priced at £950 in Musical Exchange and they did it me for £900. Inflation was low then (Maggie's monetarism) so unless the paintwork added a colossal amount, I'd have thought £1000 or a little less in 1989.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='443918' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:09 PM']Just my idle musings. :rolleyes:

New back in 1989/90 the 4 stringer would have been about £1600 (if it were a standard bass), if it was a custom order it could well have cost £2000 - £2500 (+LED work).

The paint job looks very professional and could well be from the factory BUT... the fact that the LEDs are retrofit and hence the battery compartment was put in at a later date (originally it would only have required 1 battery) makes me wonder if the paint job isn't post production. I accept that SIMs would have routed the battery compartment very professionally but something is niggling my subconscious. I have no idea how SIMs fit the LEDs but would this need any modifications to the bass that would have marred the finish? Also the fact that he owns a 2nd Warwick with an almost identical style paint job (though different colour) in almost perfect condition (as per the 4 string) makes me have a 'sneaking' suspicion that he is pals with a professional paint finisher. Either way both paint jobs look very tasty and without seeing the end of the bass in the flesh it will always be speculation unless he has some form of authentication from when it was new.

As to why someone bigged up the price - They obviously DIDN'T want to buy it and may well own a Thumb bass themselves and would rather see similar basses going for more money there-by increasing the perceived value of their bass![/quote]

MB1. :)
I have had previous dealings with Martin Sim and the L.e.ds are put in the bass Without causing any damage to any part of the bass or its finish.So its not been refinished due to that.However Sims also do refinishing Too!....and the quality of that work is quite exceptional too!...as..... no doubt Mr Beedster on the forum will justfy.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='445152' date='Mar 25 2009, 05:03 PM']MB1. :)
I have had previous dealings with Martin Sim and the L.e.ds are put in the bass Without causing any damage to any part of the bass or its finish.So its not been refinished due to that.However Sims also do refinishing Too!....and the quality of that work is quite exceptional too!...as..... no doubt Mr Beedster on the forum will justfy.[/quote]

I was looking at that bass earlier today and normally, Sims would put one of their own battery compartments in complete with a Sims logo - the square battery compartment looks like its a Warwick original....! My old Custom Thumb was the same - it had a 3 battery compartment, two for the circuit and one for the LEDs (Warwick's own which predated Sims by four years). I've got a sneaky feeling that the LEDs are not Sims...

Hmmm!