Why become a member? ×

Torn between Markbass 151P and 151HF.....?

Beedster

Like the idea of the 151HF but the 151P is a whole lot lighter. I've just sold my 106HR which was simply too big and, to my mind, not bassy enough for its size. I'm running a 102P out of a R500 and feel I need the 151 for both stand alone when I'm after a bit more bassiness than the 102 provides alone or to run with the 102 for bigger gigs. Any thoughts or experience?
Thanks
Chris

[quote name='alexclaber' post='442204' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:42 AM']The 151HF is about 50% bigger in volume so I'd expect about 3dB more bottom.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex, crap question I know, but would you describe the the extra 3db as significant in the majority of situations?

[quote name='Beedster' post='442209' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:01 AM']Thanks Alex, crap question I know, but would you describe the the extra 3db as significant in the majority of situations?[/quote]

Depends! Try adding that amount of boost/cut to your current cab to get an idea of the effect (your EQ is +/- 12dB).

Alex

Many thanks for the above folks, I'm going for the 151HF which I hope will be just that little more 'bassy' than the 151P. I've been offered the old type (all black); does anyone know if they're the same weight as the current model and whether I'm likely to face any issues with the older model over and above the obvious usage issues? What I mean I guess is that they changed to newer models for a reason - does that reason reflect any issues with the older model I'm actually buying or was the change more marketing/image?
Cheers
Chris

I think the HF has also got a better tweeter than the P, though I'm not sure if that's a factor for you. I think as long as you can carry it and fit it in your car, bigger is better when it comes to bass cabs!

Edited by dannybuoy

I have a 151HF and I love it - I use it alone and there is TONS of bass available.

When I got it I got my fretless (flats) turned the tone down, then on my LM2 - Bass up full, Low mids at 3/4, hi mids at 1/4 treble all the way down, VLE at full and the other onw (can never remember the name) up full.

Then I played a low E.

I didn't really hear it.... but I did feel very sick indeed!!!

Perfect!!! :)