Why become a member? ×

PJD Guitars

Munurmunuh

The one time I had the pleasure of a proper car journey in 2021 I found myself travelling alongside a van with PJD GUITARS written on the side. 

PJD Guitars, I learnt, started in 2010, relocated to York in 2017, and offer three basic styles of six-string guitar in a variety of versions. No sign of the word 'bass' on the website.

Some reading:

PJD Guitars website

Music Radar review with quotes

Does anyone know anything about them? Especially future intentions....

I don’t know much more, other than I believe they were / are made in Pocklington, East Yorkshire ( not far from me). I was doing a small gig in Scarborough a couple of years ago and got chatting to a nice guy inbetween sets, who turned out to be the owner of Guitar Galleries in the town. He was enthusing about this new small luthier who was making great instruments named PJD and they had just signed him up for an exclusive distribution deal IIRC.  Guitar Galleries then opened a larger store in Beverley, and when I went in last year they had a number of PJD instruments in, but I haven’t seen any evidence of any basses yet. Great to see British makers doing well.

Edited by casapete
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

I haven’t seen any evidence of any basses yet

Perhaps a group of friendly but persuasive Pocklington bassists need to organise some kind of picket line. @ped? :D

I pass through Pock fairly often, it lies on the path to my support bubble. I hadn' never imagined there was much of anything there....very wrong, clearly!

Yes they’re based in the Pock industrial estate. They have a few basses (P,J and short scale versions of both) on their Instagram. It looks like lovely workmanship. Their take on the stray shape is lovely! Great to hear about them especially as they’re so close!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I pass through Pock fairly often, it lies on the path to my support bubble. I hadn' never imagined there was much of anything there....very wrong, clearly!

Quite a number of small / medium sized businesses located on the Pocklington Trading estate, ( next to the airfield ) which runs along the A1079. I think that's where PJD are based. Nice area round there, we looked at moving to the town not long ago.

Edited by casapete
Ped beat me to it!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

As a member of the gliding club I’ve nearly crashed into a number of businesses on the estate

I’ve only been in a glider once from Pocklington, probably 30 years ago. A winch take off was quite ‘interesting’ but once up I had a great 30 min flight over the wolds on a clear sunny day. Great stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casapete said:

I’ve only been in a glider once from Pocklington, probably 30 years ago. A winch take off was quite ‘interesting’ but once up I had a great 30 min flight over the wolds on a clear sunny day. Great stuff.

There’s nothing quite like it. It’s a great club but I joined shortly before starting a new job which means I can’t really go now during the week and the weekends are impossible to find any spare time. I’ve done a fair bit of flying and don’t think anything compares to the feeling of a glider. I’ve sat in the winch a few times; that’s a cool piece of kit. It’s a big V8 attached to a pulley. Sounds amazing at full revs. 

There are quite a few BCers around Pock actually. I did think about opening a bass shop in York at one point (easy train ride from London)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/02/2021 at 00:20, casapete said:

Jeez... I went up in one about 24 years ago. Didn't see any evidence of bass building though. Also didn't see what the hell they fill the schoolboys with to make them absolute monsters to play rugby against (my school team got such a battering that Pock had to put out their B team against us from then on, the shame of it all!) 

I'd be very interested in a made in Yorkshire bass! 

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 20:53, ped said:

As a member of the gliding club I’ve nearly crashed into a number of businesses on the estate

My sons' school is the nearest school to London Gliding Club (at the foot of Dunstable Downs), and I once won a 'glide' in the Tombola or something.

I found it interesting, but scary at the same time. Overall , I don't feel inclined to repeat the experience, and when the pilot asked me if I wanted to take over the controls (as was included in the Tombola prize) I politely declined!

Your 'crashing' comment has done little to change my mind :lol:.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Haha 1