Why become a member? ×

More Pointiness: Charvel 1B (in need of a good bath or two)

Old Horse Murphy

So this arrived today as an addition to my 80's/early 90's Pointy headstock collection. 

It's an all-original Charvel 1B (goodness, I think the strings were the original ones!) which is Charvel's take on a passive P Bass bit with a reverse P pickup. I've got another one in red that I'm hoping to be reunited with after lockdown and they really are super basses. 

This one is in a real state and looks like it's been used as an oar to row through a swamp  at some stage: it's filthy. 

The knobs were spinning freely and the control cavity looked like it had someone's ashes in it when I opened it but both were quickly resolved (amen). 

The neck had taken a step to the right at some point and the G String was very close to the edge near the body , so needed a bit of a tap on the headstock. I'm still not sure it's 100% as I've not restrung it yet but it looks a lot better. 

Tomorrow I'm going to don my full HAZMAT suit and give it a good clean. Fingers crossed I'll survive. 

C168833D-CF1B-44E3-9A0A-FEBF7B9757F5.jpeg

B952EF67-336D-4C35-93F3-1369E96AFED5.jpeg

9B1A7BBA-75F6-4E8B-A932-C66C227E7E96.jpeg

C912276E-7506-4875-A7A1-FEEA815A0FF0.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, police squad said:

it's funny isn't it. There was a time you couldn't give these away. They are really great instruments, perhaps it's time for me to find one

Completely agree, although there has been a slight increase in prices over the last year or so, although the same is true of most instruments. 

Each one of these has cost no more than £300 and unbelievably the Jackson I sadly moved on was £120. That's crazy money for a Japanese built Bass of quality IF you can live with the headstock shape which i personally love. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Nice.

I always fancied a black Jackson PJ like David Ellefson had in the early Megadeth days.

My first ever gig was Megadeth supported by Sanctuary in 1988. Up until he played an extended intro to These Boots... I had never even considered playing an instrument but, right then, I knew I need to be a bass player. The silver PJ with sharkfins and binding is the one for me, I still love that bass. The new ones with the EMG soapbars, oddly enough, do nothing for me.

Capeture.JPG.356d4193ab42c9225e03865b8d755bbf.JPGkCapeture.JPG.08017017ac53eb65dac85f036d1627cb.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Completely agree, although there has been a slight increase in prices over the last year or so, although the same is true of most instruments. 

Each one of these has cost no more than £300 and unbelievably the Jackson I sadly moved on was £120. That's crazy money for a Japanese built Bass of quality IF you can live with the headstock shape which i personally love. 

I'd love to know where you're finding them, any ones I see are in the 600+ club.

• Like 1