Why become a member? ×

SKB bass safe

TKenrick

Due to the gross incompetence of a certain management company, I'm frantically trying to find a decent case to take my basses on tour with (management bought stagg flight cases, which are the worst things I've ever seen). I don't want to be worrying that my basses are going to arrive at each destination in several pieces

I've heard nothing but good about SKB bass safes so I thought I'd get myself one, only problem is that the gallery don't have any in stock and neither do gear 4 music. I leave on tuesday morning, so I need to get one asap - does anyone know of any other places that sell the SKB bass safe? Shure distribution are closed on weekends so I can't get a list from them until monday...

Any help/suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Tom

I have one.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't get the MkI version. The locks have a tendency to pop off with any sudden jolt if the tangs aren't bent back sufficiently. I've managed to bend mine back but it took a set of mini mole grips to do it. The MkII versions apparently had this design issue resolved.

Also, keep an eye on the wheels, I've had a situation where the attaching bolt on one of mine came loose and I lost both the wheel and the bolt :). They're easy enough to get from a well stocked skate shop but finding a shop like that is another thing entirely if you live outside London...

I got mine from Sound Control, maybe worth trying Reverb or whatever they're called.

I would say it's deffo worth holding out to get one. Mine has done upwards of 300 flights and is still going strong.

In that time my guitarist chum has had to spend about £500 on repairs to his vintage Tele including a heartbraking neck snap that could NOT have been done by accident - he nows takes a Squire abroad.

My only, and I mean only, complaint is that because the are angled at the bottom they are a bit awkward to stand with in long check in queues, I put it on a trolley and it's fine. A very minor niggle, and I certainly wouldn't use another case because of it.

Stewart

If you're in a hurry, get Hiscox standard sized. They're tough and light, so easy to cart around if you have to. The Bass safe doesn't fit around all gig bags...so it can hit or miss...and like Ck said, they can open if not closed carefully (usual for airport securitiy?)

Good luck

BB

Thanks for the replies guys, I spoke to Mark at bass direct and they don't have any in stock, although he said he'd ring SKB on monday and see what he could do... It looks like i might have to go to denmark street and grab a hiscox case - the management company can pick up the bill though :)

And yes, the management are a bunch of cheap asses. I gave them the exact specs of the case I wanted from Castle over a month ago, it came to last week and they still hadn't sorted it so now it's too late to get one, they assured me that they'd sorted out a suitable alternative which turned out to be the stagg cases, luckily my Bacchus didn't fit in the case so I had to say no - I couldn't believe how badly made the stagg suff was, looked like something a 5 year old had made out of tin foil and card after watching blue peter.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='441057' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:24 PM']I have one.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't get the MkI version. The locks have a tendency to pop off with any sudden jolt if the tangs aren't bent back sufficiently. I've managed to bend mine back but it took a set of mini mole grips to do it. The MkII versions apparently had this design issue resolved.

Also, keep an eye on the wheels, I've had a situation where the attaching bolt on one of mine came loose and I lost both the wheel and the bolt :). They're easy enough to get from a well stocked skate shop but finding a shop like that is another thing entirely if you live outside London...[/quote]

Is that my old one? I only had it for one trip but I understand you gig abroad fairly regularly. How many trips has it lasted so far?