Why become a member? ×

Alembic - show us your pics

marcus bell

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='276354' date='Sep 3 2008, 04:09 PM']This was my Stanley bass, I sold it a few years ago now, what a mistake.

I wasn't playing it too often though, I was concentrating on my 6 string playing, and a bass like this needs to be played.

I will get another someday though, for definite !.[/quote]

That's my 2nd fave bass of all time........ I will have one one day!!!

[quote name='marcus bell' post='277441' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:08 PM']intersting that the stanley basses, look similar to the kingbass, you know symmetrical body n that???[/quote]

Yep... well that's my number one fave bass of all time...... just imagine if Alembic decided o make the SC model headless all those years ago....

[quote name='marcus bell' post='277458' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:33 PM']i know what you mean mate, well i love the mark king/series body shape but im not keen on the sound i guess that wy the jaydee is my number one fave...[/quote]

I had a MK jaydee for a few years.... great bass.... very long..... Electronics were not great though.... I generally hate headed basses.... do love Jaydee's and Alembic's though

[quote name='crez5150' post='277459' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:36 PM']I had a MK jaydee for a few years.... great bass.... very long..... Electronics were not great though.... I generally hate headed basses.... do love Jaydee's and Alembic's though[/quote]

oh yes very long, what body shape did you have? electronics not great why???

[quote name='marcus bell' post='277483' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:17 AM']oh yes very long, what body shape did you have? electronics not great why???[/quote]

It was a series 2 with the Slap groove..... I had it back several times to JD... when it worked it sounded great.... had to have them all replaced in the end

[quote name='crez5150' post='277459' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:36 PM']I had a MK jaydee for a few years.... great bass.... very long..... Electronics were not great though.... I generally hate headed basses.... do love Jaydee's and Alembic's though[/quote]
I replaced the circuit in mine with a 3 band Bart eq and it made a lot of difference to the headroom and clarity I was getting out of the bass. I asked about headless custom basses once on the Alembic forum, big mistake! :)

Momma don' like dat.

• 1 month later...

The body shape was made famous (well, maybe not that famous :) ) by John Paul Jones of Zep.

Here he is with his:
[attachment=14655:JPJ_wTO8_b_w.jpg]

And here's a close up:

[attachment=14656:JPJs_8.png]

His 8 string bass (used on Achilles' Last Stand) was actually a Bec-Var, made by Bruce Becvar (who worked at Alembic for a time). You can order an Alembic exactly the same shape as his,but the newer version is the same as mine. The longer pistol-grip top horn was ordered to try and counter any neck-heaviness.

I first saw a picture of his in about '81 on a poster. I decided there and then I had to have one. 20-odd years later, I did. Unfortunately by then my back had gone so I have to play the bloody thing sat down...

Edited by 4000

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='304894' date='Oct 12 2008, 05:00 PM']Mmmm! Very tasty!

4000 - I take it you have a pickup blend control on there as there's no rotary click jobbie! Love the contrasting colours; espec the purpleheart stringers against the maple![/quote]

Thanks! Yep, pickup blend. I think they only do the rotary control now to order.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='305033' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:14 PM']That is the most incredible bass I have ever seen.
I would have mine hollowed out to save weight, 20 fret, 32".
Again, it is stunning, I'm in love.[/quote]

Thanks! It actually is hollow; still weighs about 11 pounds though. Thought about a 32" scale, decided against it at the time for tonal reasons (although with hindsight I'm sure I'd have loved it just as much). If I ever have another built it will be 32" (or even 30").

[quote name='4000' post='305091' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:30 PM']Thanks! It actually is hollow; still weighs about 11 pounds though. Thought about a 32" scale, decided against it at the time for tonal reasons (although with hindsight I'm sure I'd have loved it just as much). If I ever have another built it will be 32" (or even 30").[/quote]We need to meet up.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='279115' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:12 PM']..don't you mean `lead' balloon Marcus?!

Thats how Led Zeppelin got their name - John Entwistle came up with it at a party, might have been Keith Moon though - read it somewhere![/quote]

MB1. :)
Twas!....Mr Moon! :rolleyes: