Why become a member? ×

See this is the problem with Basschat. I bought a Club as I'm not a fan of The Beatles and didn't want to have 'the Macca chat' every time I used it, I even bought a black one as the sunburst still looks very 'McCartney'. 

So why am I now finding myself scouring ads for a violin bass? It won't even sound any different to my Club. 

🙄 😄

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Yeah it may be that I was unlucky, with the Hofner contemporary flats, they are very inexpensive for flats so it may be that the quality control is a bit hit and miss, if they are working well for you then no need to change them 

I might be wrong but I think the Hofner flats are rebranded Pyramid Golds.

34 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I've got pyramids on my Ignition, they sound great. 

I seem to remember when researching what strings would be best on my Hofner, Pyramid and LaBella seemed to be favourites. 

All subjective of course. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I think it is only the more expensive Hofner flats, I think the contemporary flats are Chinese made

I can't remember the exact ones on mine. Hofner flats with a dark green silk wrap. Lovely they are too!

I should add that I didn't actually buy the strings myself - the bass was a gift from my Dad a few years ago, and on the advice of Thomann he also bought the strings, a hardcase and replaced the black knobs with Hofner teacups.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

replaced the black knobs with Hofner teacups.

I did this, removed the scratch plate and now it looks really nice. Mine's got a quite attractive burst on it, some I've seen look a bit pants.

There are YouTube tutorials on how to paint the nut, reverse the pickup orientation and T-Cut out the truss rod logo but I think it's a waste of time myself. Each to their own I suppose 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I did this, removed the scratch plate and now it looks really nice. Mine's got a quite attractive burst on it, some I've seen look a bit pants.

There are YouTube tutorials on how to paint the nut, reverse the pickup orientation and T-Cut out the truss rod logo but I think it's a waste of time myself. Each to their own I suppose 

I might do the teacups on mine, but all the rest can stay as is. Unless I want to put heavier strings on, which would mean swapping out the tuners and maybe the nut.

I’m probably too lazy to get round to it though.

6 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

... Hofner flats with a dark green silk wrap ...

That's the ones that I have on my Chinese Club ... https://www.hofner.com/guitars-basses/guitar-accessories/guitar-strings/hofner-bass-strings-flat-wound.html

They are different to the Contemporary series. They are, I believe, made by Pyramid. And I have seen a close up pic of McCartney's Hofner and it appeared to have the dark green silks.

2 hours ago, meterman said:

Actually, has anyone put a set of black nylon flatwounds on one of these basses? I’d definitely do that if I could 👍

https://www.hofner.com/guitars-basses/guitar-accessories/guitar-strings/hofner-bass-strings-nylon.html

These black nylons have bright lime green silks.

I struggled to get the E string through the tuner and so stuck to the ordinary flatwounds above. However, here in Brighton, I have spoken to a guy busking on a Chinese Hofner with Hofner black nylons, so it can be done and he sounded great.

Edited by EssentialTension
speeling