See this is the problem with Basschat. I bought a Club as I'm not a fan of The Beatles and didn't want to have 'the Macca chat' every time I used it, I even bought a black one as the sunburst still looks very 'McCartney'. 

So why am I now finding myself scouring ads for a violin bass? It won't even sound any different to my Club. 

🙄 😄

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Yeah it may be that I was unlucky, with the Hofner contemporary flats, they are very inexpensive for flats so it may be that the quality control is a bit hit and miss, if they are working well for you then no need to change them 

I might be wrong but I think the Hofner flats are rebranded Pyramid Golds.

4 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I might be wrong but I think the Hofner flats are rebranded Pyramid Golds.

I think it is only the more expensive Hofner flats, I think the contemporary flats are Chinese made

34 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I've got pyramids on my Ignition, they sound great. 

I seem to remember when researching what strings would be best on my Hofner, Pyramid and LaBella seemed to be favourites. 

All subjective of course. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I think it is only the more expensive Hofner flats, I think the contemporary flats are Chinese made

I can't remember the exact ones on mine. Hofner flats with a dark green silk wrap. Lovely they are too!

I should add that I didn't actually buy the strings myself - the bass was a gift from my Dad a few years ago, and on the advice of Thomann he also bought the strings, a hardcase and replaced the black knobs with Hofner teacups.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

replaced the black knobs with Hofner teacups.

I did this, removed the scratch plate and now it looks really nice. Mine's got a quite attractive burst on it, some I've seen look a bit pants.

There are YouTube tutorials on how to paint the nut, reverse the pickup orientation and T-Cut out the truss rod logo but I think it's a waste of time myself. Each to their own I suppose 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I did this, removed the scratch plate and now it looks really nice. Mine's got a quite attractive burst on it, some I've seen look a bit pants.

There are YouTube tutorials on how to paint the nut, reverse the pickup orientation and T-Cut out the truss rod logo but I think it's a waste of time myself. Each to their own I suppose 

I might do the teacups on mine, but all the rest can stay as is. Unless I want to put heavier strings on, which would mean swapping out the tuners and maybe the nut.

I’m probably too lazy to get round to it though.

Actually, has anyone put a set of black nylon flatwounds on one of these basses? I’d definitely do that if I could 👍

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

... Hofner flats with a dark green silk wrap ...

That's the ones that I have on my Chinese Club ... https://www.hofner.com/guitars-basses/guitar-accessories/guitar-strings/hofner-bass-strings-flat-wound.html

They are different to the Contemporary series. They are, I believe, made by Pyramid. And I have seen a close up pic of McCartney's Hofner and it appeared to have the dark green silks.

2 hours ago, meterman said:

Actually, has anyone put a set of black nylon flatwounds on one of these basses? I’d definitely do that if I could 👍

https://www.hofner.com/guitars-basses/guitar-accessories/guitar-strings/hofner-bass-strings-nylon.html

These black nylons have bright lime green silks.

I struggled to get the E string through the tuner and so stuck to the ordinary flatwounds above. However, here in Brighton, I have spoken to a guy busking on a Chinese Hofner with Hofner black nylons, so it can be done and he sounded great.

Edited by EssentialTension
speeling

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SteveXFR
      This is my 2019 Ibanez SR300EB. 
      Its the weathered black finish. Really nice condition, just a mark on the back from a belt buckle. Just fitted new Roto strings 45-105 roundwound. Plays really nice, lovely narrow neck. Sounds good, everything works as it should. All completely standard. 
      Reasonable offers considered 

• By ezbass
      This was meant to be posted on Saturday as I selected next day delivery, but between the supplier and the courier, it actually arrived this morning (potential for another thread, all on its own).
      Anyhoo, there's a back story to this purchase, so bear with me. Last March, just before the world went to hell in a hand basket, I had a video for David Byrne on Saturday Night Live come up on my feed, playing Once in a Lifetime with his Utopia ensemble. As a DB/Heads fan I watched and noticed the bass player using some sort of Hofner-esque short scale affair, sounded good. The next video up was from the same SNL programme with DB playing Toe Jam with the same guys, except the bass player had swapped to a shell pink, 5 string of some description; it sounded incredible. A very quick search on Google for the player, then images to see if I could find out what the bass was, revealed it was a short scale, Serek, 5 string. Now, I heard good things about these basses already, so I thought I'd investigate the price - yikes! However, by this time, my interest was piqued and so I trotted off to my local Guitar Guitar to try some short scales to see if this was something worth pursuing. I tried a Gibson double cut, an Epiphone, a Gretsch and Fender/Squier Mustangs, including the JMJ signature. I was hooked, there was definitely something to this resurgence of SS basses. The 2 that impressed me the most were the Gretsch (good playability and tone and an absolute bargain) and the JMJ, which was in a different league to all the rest. Rather than diving straight in, I thought I'd ponder a bit - then lockdown arrived.  After the first lockdown ended and GG opened up again, I needed a new tuner and, as my car was in for a service just round the corner from the shop, I went to buy it in person and also try the JMJ again to see if it had just been a momentary whim; it hadn't. I decided to move my Maruszczyk Jake L on to facilitate financing the new purchase and put it up on commission sale at The Bass Gallery (where it is available should you, dear reader, wish to purchase it https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/443414-maruszczyk-jake-l-in-fiesta-red-reduced-to-£775/ ). I tried the Vintera and a couple of vintage Mustangs while I was there, the Vintera was the best, but not as good as my memory of the JMJ (I also tried a Wilcock Mullarkey, which was brilliant, but beyond my budget). Then... lockdown 2 arrived, coupled with my moving to Scotland, where I'm in temporary accommodation with just one of my basses (Rob Allen MB2) for low end company, the others being in storage and the pause button was hit, again. Well, we all know this lockdown has been tough and I finally snapped and bought a JMJ anyway, without waiting for the Jake to sell and it finally arrived this morning.
      A quick play and everything was in order, just my usual set up required (it wasn't bad out of the box to be honest, just not my preference). I'm really rather pleased, my only complaint being, if you're going to put modern, albeit 'aged', Hipshot tuners (nice touch), why not put a modern, hex head, easily accessible, truss rod on? Having to take the very well fitted neck off (twice) is a PITA!  Also, if you're supplying a SS bass, provide a SS gig bag, not something that is way too long. Will I become a SS devotee? Time will tell, but early indications are good.
      Enough waffle, on with the show...

• By AndyTheBassBison
      Sold!
      For sale is my made in USA 1964 Airline Pocket Bass. I bought this from Olivia’s Vintage Guitars back in 2014. It’s a lovely and unusual little thing, and always got a lot of interest when I gigged it. I’m thinning down my gear hence the sale.
      It is all original with the original chipboard case. I believe the flatwound strings are original too! It is super short scale at just under 25” and has a big single coil in the neck position and a piezo in the bridge. There is checking/crazing to the paint which looks great.
      Eastwood recently reissued these for £780 so I think an original for £600 is a great price. Happy to post at buyer’s expense - I have a box and lots of bubble wrap.
      Any questions just ask!

• By BCH
      Progress of my "covid safe restricted space rehearsal room" bass..ha

• By loremil
      Price drop: £20

Neotech neoprene padded guitar strap, ideal for heavy instruments and very adjustable. Overall strap length: 36"–45" (91,4cm–114,3cm) .
      Collection in Hackney, London or shipment at buyer's expense. Thanks for looking.