Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith BSR6-GN **NOW SOLD**

Kiwi

In order to make room for the Shuker Custom headless MIDI 6 which is heading my way at some point, I'm selling my beloved Smith BSR6GN. I probably don't need to describe the attention to detail and craftsmanship or Ken's reputation for no compromise in his quality control. Each bass is inspected and signed personally by him before leaving the factory.

These basses are THE ultimate instrument for jazz-fusion, RnB and soul, but the warmth is such that the bass will sit in most genres happily and it records beautifully!

Overall, the sound is completely different to anything else out there. Its warm, deep and growly in the lower and mid registers and the treble response is clear and sweet without being brittle. In the upper registers the instrument sounds very mellow almost like a flamenco guitar and it makes chordal playing extremely musical.

The bass has NEVER BEEN GIGGED - thats right, home use and rehearsals only because I get confused by the number of strings sometimes and didn't want that to happen in front of a room full of punters! :) It was made in 2003, I bought it in 2004 and it features quilted maple facings on an unusual black walnut body core which gives is a crisp and clean sound with a full but not boomy bottom end. The 5 piece, graphite reinforced, through body neck is aged rock maple with bubinga laminates and a lovely, smooth carved cutaway heel. The neck is 34" scale, has 24 frets and is very flat which is also great for chordal work. Ken Smith uses many techniques that are employed in double bass construction so you can expect an instrument that is designed to last for years and can be easily repaired in the event of wear or an accident.

The pickups are Smiths own passive humbuckers mated to a 9v Smith 3 band eq. and the frequency centres of each band are tuned to the characteristics of the bass. String spacing is 18mm at the bridge and the nut is 55mm wide which is very comfortable and easy to get around on. The action is very low and buzz free and the neck is free of any twists or warps thanks to that huge slab of ebony used for the fingerboard.

Here's a couple of vids of John Patitucci playing an older Smith BT6 Custom, but the sound is almost identical to mine (although mine's probably warmer sounding though).

Beautiful huh? It could be yours for £2000, no trades or offers thanks though because I need the cash! :huh: I can bring it to the SE Bassbash tomorrow if anyone asks but if it doesn't sell in the next few weeks before I put my deposit down on the Shuker, its going to go to the Bass Centre where their commission will be added on to the asking price.

You also get the Smith hard case and lots of case candy such as brochures, allen keys, strap, duster, Smith polish and a packet of crisps.

[url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass%20guitar%20samples/Ken%20Smith%206%20a.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...ith%206%20a.mp3[/url]
[url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass%20guitar%20samples/Ken%20Smith%206%20b.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...ith%206%20b.mp3[/url]

A couple of sound clips....

[quote name='ped' post='46866' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:26 PM']Patitucci's face is a picture in that first clip. Look at him.[/quote]

I have that video... I really can't watch it seriously when he's pulling the 'face' lol lol

[quote name='overwater#1' post='46864' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:24 PM']:huh: :) You know how much I love that bass Steve.. hey well.., good luck with the sale..!! :huh:[/quote]
Thanks Matt - I hope it sells to a Basschatter, it would be nice to keep it in the family. I love the sound of this bass and nothing would make me happier than seeing it go to someone who can really exploit the way it sounds.

[quote name='dood' post='46890' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:15 PM']I have that video... I really can't watch it seriously when he's pulling the 'face' lol lol[/quote]
See? If you look like that you'll end up attracting Yamaha! :huh:

Stand back baby! The Yamaha players got their mojo workin'...

Hi Al, I'm still keeping the Smith 5's as my main basses for the forseeable future. :) The Smith 6 is a completely different beast and I simply don't have the facility to play it live yet.

So I'd rather sell it to someone who can use it the way its supposed to be used. Jon's agreed to make a 6 for me that is more in line with how I'd normally use a 6 - ie for mucking about with at home for chordal work or to save me faffing about with a keyboard too much. I can take it out occasionally for a live gig if/when I get comfortable enough with it. If I ever reach that point then a matching fretless may well be on the cards too.

After approaching a few makers for quotes, Jon's basses impressed me with their value for money and ergonomics. He had the Smith 6 for a few hours yesterday so he knows what he's up against in terms of sound. I asked him for a bass that sounds the same but with more prominent midrange. Whether that means using wenge laminates of 6mm or 12mm wide is up to him as the master craftsman. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Had the pleasure of playing this during my (all too) brief visit to the SE Bash yesterday. Before playing it I would have described it using words like "beast" or "monster." To do that now would be doing it a disservice.

THis is an exquisite instrument, that is utterly loaded with tone and which plays like a dream. Apart from the obvious good looks, it is far lighter than you would imagine and after a brief initial stumble over the extra string, I found myself whizzing about like I'd been playing 6 all my life. If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't have a gig where I would use it, I would have this bass in a shot.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='47459' date='Aug 19 2007, 06:16 PM']Had the pleasure of playing this during my (all too) brief visit to the SE Bash yesterday. Before playing it I would have described it using words like "beast" or "monster." To do that now would be doing it a disservice.

THis is an exquisite instrument, that is utterly loaded with tone and which plays like a dream. Apart from the obvious good looks, it is far lighter than you would imagine and after a brief initial stumble over the extra string, I found myself whizzing about like I'd been playing 6 all my life. If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't have a gig where I would use it, I would have this bass in a shot.[/quote]
+1 Perfectly summed up Pete!

It is a beautiful instrument that seems to make you want to play it more, almost as though there's something inherent in the design that makes you adapt and develop your playing.

Steve is a real gent too BTW,

Nik

[quote name='P-T-P' post='47459' date='Aug 19 2007, 06:16 PM']THis is an exquisite instrument, that is utterly loaded with tone and which plays like a dream. Apart from the obvious good looks, it is far lighter than you would imagine and after a brief initial stumble over the extra string, I found myself whizzing about like I'd been playing 6 all my life.[/quote]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='47464' date='Aug 19 2007, 06:37 PM']It is a beautiful instrument that seems to make you want to play it more, almost as though there's something inherent in the design that makes you adapt and develop your playing.[/quote]

Pete and Nik - Wow, thanks for the endorsement! :) It was great to meet you both yesterday too.

With comments like that I hope the Smith 6 sells before I change my mind... :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='47497' date='Aug 19 2007, 08:38 PM']Pete and Nik - Wow, thanks for the endorsement! :) It was great to meet you both yesterday too.

With comments like that I hope the Smith 6 sells before I change my mind... :huh:[/quote]
Likewise Steve - look forward to seeing you at the next one!

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='overwater#1' post='68704' date='Oct 2 2007, 04:09 PM']Jees, if it gets to that stage, I will personally walk from Blackpool to London and rescue it!!!! :) :huh:[/quote]
hehe, someone has to BUY the bass or...

...heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny! :huh:

I love Smith basses and have owned a fair few in my time. Not one of the more expensive US-made basses has been anything less than sublime in fit, finish and sound. £2k may seem like a lot for a bass, but for an instrument of the quality it is actually a very very good price.

If you're thinking of a boutique six then this is the kind of bass that would last you a lifetime...

Gareth

PS Here's my baby below

Edited by walbassist