Why become a member? ×

ZOOM G6

jimfist

MAIN FEATURES

• 16 types of standard amp models + 6 types of ZOOM original amp models
  • Pre-installed 70 IR data in addition to 22 cabinet models
  • ZOOM original effect: 2 types of distortion + 3 types of modulation
  • IR loader function that can read up to 2048 samples, 120 in total (70 presets + 50 users)
  • Up to 7 effects + 1 amp model (or up to 9 effects) can be used at the same time
  • 240 types of effect patches can be stored in memory (for both factory and user)
  • 4.3-inch touch screen with swipe, drag and drop operations
  • Looper function that can record phrases of up to 45 seconds (monaural 90 seconds) and 68 types of rhythm pattern function
  • 2-in / 2-out USB audio interface function
  • Send / return terminal to connect your favorite external effects
  • Stereo AUX input terminal convenient for connecting music players, etc.
  • Expression pedal for foot control of volume / pitch / wah, etc.
  • SD card slot for reading external IR data and expanding / saving looper recording time
  • Compatible with Mac / Windows software "Guitar Lab" for which additional effects / patches can be obtained
  • You can use the iPhone / iPad application "Handy Guitar Lab" with the optional Bluetooth adapter (BTA-1).
  • Extend the product warranty period to 3 years with free online user registration
  • Like 1

This looks extremely promising. 

Especially as a big fan of the newer Zoom digital multi effects (G3/B3/G1X(on)/B1X(on)/Multi Stop Boxes and G3n/B3n/G1 Four/B1 Four), this though seems to most likely be a totally worthy competitor to the like of the new Line6 Pod Go and similar high end digital multi effects, and I guess in usual Zoom style for a considerably lower price.

If it lives up to this I'll no doubt get one at some point. 

A proper high end Zoom multi effect seems like a wet dream come true to me.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

From the gear page - pricing seems to be ¥45,000, which would be around £329 mark in the UK.

Much as I love Zoom multis, as this doesn't seem to provide parallel routing a used HX Effects or HX Stomp, which both do and come up pretty regularly used for similar money, would get still my vote at this price point.

Not tempted to upgrade from my budget Zoom B1-4 just yet!

Edited by Al Krow

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

From the gear page - pricing seems to be ¥45,000, which would be around £329 mark in the UK.

Much as I love Zoom multis, as this doesn't seem to provide parallel routing a used HX Effects or HX Stomp, which both do and come up pretty regularly for similar money, would get still my vote at this price point.

Not tempted to upgrade from my budget Zoom B1-4 just yet!

That is still considerably cheaper than any of those Line6 pedals, and even a nice chunk cheaper then Line6 Pod Go, which doesn't feature parallel routing either, and which seems more like the direct competitor to this.

Add to that I'd expect the effects on this to be able to fully compete in quality with the Line 6 modeling, if not even better, the IR loader at least allows for higher quality IRs than Line6 multi effect does (at very least I expect to like the effect models in this more, since I already prefer Zoom digital effects over for instance Boss ones).

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

That still conciderably cheaper than any of those Line6 pedals, and even a nice chunk cheaper then Line6 Pod Go, which doesn't have parallel routing either, and which seems more like the direct competitor to this.

Sorry I missed the word "used" in my earlier post - I'll correct to avoid confusion!

Yup - I'd avoid the Line 6 Pod Go for exactly the same reason (lack of parallel routing) in the £300+ price bracket and get a used HX Effects instead. But that's 'cos I particularly value the parallel routing option.

I wonder if they have an upgraded chip set in the G6 vs the Zoom B1-4 / B3N? Additional DSP is always welcome! I presume that must be the case given the additional capability e.g. IR loading.

Edited by Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup - I'd avoid the Line 6 Pod Go for exactly the same reason (lack of parallel routing) in the £300+ price bracket and get a used HX Effects instead.

I wonder if they have an upgraded chip set in the G6 vs the Zoom B1-4 / B3N? Additional DSP is always welcome!

I strongly presume they have, as I edited in in my previous post, for one this allows for loading third party IR's, and at a higher quality/resolution than the Line6 multi effects allows for.

I also strongly assume this is a whole new generation of digital Zoom effects, with improved quality, and likely utilizing a circuit modeling technology (where instead of basing the modeling on approaching the sound of the original effects, it actually models the individual components of the circuit in question), similar to what the Line6 digital effects utilize, though the latter is purely guesswork.

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I strongly presume they have, as I edited in in my previous post, for one this allows for loading third party IR's, and at a higher quality/resolution than the Line6 multi effects allows for.

Makes sense. And additional DSP will flow through to improved fx elsewhere.

But I thought I read that they were using the same generic fx models available in the rest of the range (which would also make sense from a development / immediate use perspective)?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Makes sense. And additional DSP will flow through to improved fx elsewhere.

But I thought I read that they were using the same generic fx models available in the rest of the range (which would also make sense from a development / immediate use perspective)?

They likely will include some old effect, kind of like the legacy effects in the Line6 Helix and Pod Go pedals, which are basically previous generation Line6 digital effects, but I strongly presume Zoom will include new improved effects as well, for one they would have to have used a new form of algorithm to allow for IR use. 

Though of course this is also just guesswork, but would at least make most sense to me.

47 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

This really appeals to me,  I have been considering a Line6 POD Go but I'll wait to hear what others think once the bass version is released in the UK

Yeah - choice and competition always a good thing and great to see two of my fav Jap companies, Yamaha and Zoom, keeping each other on their toes!

I think Baloney-D's point that this is a head to head competitor for the Line 6 POD Go is spot on. But I certainly wouldn't rule out the POD Go, just yet, if that is your alternative John. So far Helix has outgunned Zoom on chip processing power and consequently the quality of a number of resultant effects. So what sort of a chip set upgrade Zoom have provided with this new model I think could be key.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I'm watching the G6 from a distance...seeing what develops and if anything interesting is described in an English translation owners manual.  Hopefully, they'll integrate native (or add-in via editor) bass amps/cabs/effects since the G11 at least has a couple of bass items as a courtesy. If so, I could justify flipping gear for the G6....but....we'll see.

Parallel signal path would be a big help IMO.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my G5n, B3n, and Atomic Bass Box.

Seems like the G11 has been a sales disaster from the little that can be concluded to this point, and though the G6 is definitely a step in the right direction, I hardly think it will "gateway" people to want to spend the extra cash on the G11, which evidently had a significant "cyber week" price drop recently, but now priced back at original MSRP (which is a bit too high IMO).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...