Why become a member? ×

Is it really worth it

ARGH

Ive a 96 Fender,I lost the original P/U in a court case 6 years ago,so its always and will always have this battered,roadworn,DiMarzio P,in it.....Now the Band Im in plays in Drop C,and its only one guitarist,and I try to 'fill' the sonic space left as much as I can...using the timbres of the lowest strings up high,plucking...wellllll....striking the strings to get as many overtones as I can,and generally I have my 'Distortomatic' sound giving it laldi....

Im trying to fill the room,but summats missing in the sound....

Anyways ,I finish rehearsals last night,wander in,and have a surf on the web...and I see old Sheehan and recall the Model one mod that the 'Wife' had....

Now I dont have much sentiment over instrument value,But has anyone ever done the 'Billy' and had the whole routing and fartbucker fitted...dual outputs the whole sheebang..

But is it worth it,am I trashing a decent pretty much stock instrument,for very little benefit sonically....AND it trashes my spine,and will probably be only playing in this key for the next 18 months...2 years at best!

I also heard the Model one dosent line up with the strings...so anyone got a 'Willpower' to compare???

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='438934' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:19 AM']Ive a 96 Fender,[color="#8B0000"][b]I lost the original P/U in a court case 6 years ago[/b][/color],so its always and will always have this battered,roadworn,DiMarzio P,in it.....Now the Band Im in plays in Drop C,and its only one guitarist,and I try to 'fill' the sonic space left as much as I can...using the timbres of the lowest strings up high,plucking...wellllll....striking the strings to get as many overtones as I can,and generally I have my 'Distortomatic' sound giving it laldi....[/quote]

Custody battle over a 96 Fender pickup? I dispair of this litigious society we are living in ...
!

Edited by OldGit

Yes Ross I've done it. I had a P bass, chucked in a Model One and replaced the P pups with Dimarzio. I had two seperate outs,each pup had a volume control.
I ran it through a stereo power amp, A Pearce BC1, using the clean channel for the Humbucker from hell, theother channel was for huge distortion....cabs:a 2x15 for bass and a homemade 8x10 for distortion. One thing I didn't manage to do was also run a clean channel, adds definition tothe huge sound you end up with!

I can honestly say it was the bass tone from hell....HUGE and that's without the clean channel, crossovers etc, etc...Yes, Sheehan-izing ones bass is awesome. DO IT! or buy the Attitude :)

I've got a model 1 if you want me to check string spacing! In the early 80's I once put one in an old P bass copy in the [b]bridge[/b] postion to make a "poor man's Stingray" - being flush with the body it was rather too low, but sounded pretty good.

[quote name='OldGit' post='439007' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:38 AM']How about trying one of these

[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0194060720"]American Deluxe[/url][/quote]
Nice,thankyou OG,But Im looking for low....the Fartbucker might give me that..I dont have the cash,or the space for yet another instrument,Im trimming my collection as we speak...

Co-incidentally Jase,did you go the whole hog and do the scalloping on the fingerboard too?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='439015' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:48 AM']I've got a model 1 if you want me to check string spacing! In the early 80's I once put one in an old P bass copy in the [b]bridge[/b] postion to make a "poor man's Stingray" - being flush with the body it was rather too low, but sounded pretty good.[/quote]
please!

You up for selling it??

[quote name='ARGH' post='439020' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:52 AM']Co-incidentally Jase,did you go the whole hog and do the scalloping on the fingerboard too?[/quote]

Funny you should ask....I did at one point get Dave Dearnley to scallop the last 3 or 4 frets but it was on my "testing or prototype" bass a Charvel Model 3b, he also replaced the rosewood board for a maple one....I never really used them though. On my Fender I didn't have the scallops.

[quote name='Jase' post='439051' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:32 AM']Funny you should ask....I did at one point get Dave Dearnley to scallop the last 3 or 4 frets but it was on my "testing or prototype" bass a Charvel Model 3b, he also replaced the rosewood board for a maple one....I never really used them though. On my Fender I didn't have the scallops.[/quote]
Is there any actual advantage to doing that though??

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='439061' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:42 AM']What happened to the 9?[/quote]
Its in the corner...still gets played,gonna write a few tunes for it in the next few months with ICON...Scott insists...Ive a feeling Im gonna write a ballad on it.

ICON wrote their lp and recorded it before I joined,the bassist quit after finishing his lines,and Ive come onboard..so its the next summer or 2 in drop C...and writing for the next lp (Ive retuned,and turned the geetar to drop A..and shown him the wonders of upgraded pickups) using the 6 and 9. But for whats written and what we are performing live,its silly to use more than a 4.

Songwise Ive rewritten a good amount of the parts,they kinda were lazy and more guitar rather than drums,and theres a lot of melody that could be used,that isnt..and the drummers admitted that he has always followed the guitarist in any bands he's been in,in his own words Im the first fingerstyle Bassist he could actually hear...seeing as there are not many 'Bassplayers' out there,and Bass as Bass and drums in a ryth section in Metal as a genre is pretty much dead...(there are an awful lot of BAD metal Bassholders) its a learning curve for all of us.

But I do get a solo.... :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='439067' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:51 AM']Leave the bass and get a preamp. You'll get more useable tones out of a Sadowky preamp, for instance.[/quote]
What will that give me...Ive never tried one??.

Well Im running quite a dirty signal from The Tech 21 stack,and its ok,but sometimes a feel I need a..or a little...clean in there..Ive toyed with 8 string ideas,but in the low tuning its a silly idea. But Im trying to fill the room....

I worry for the sake of it,but this isnt GAS I swear,its about trying to do my job,and doing it better than the last or next guy (or girl).

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='439073' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:56 AM']Its in the corner...still gets played,gonna write a few tunes for it in the next few months with ICON...Scott insists...Ive a feeling Im gonna write a ballad on it.

ICON wrote their lp and recorded it before I joined,the bassist quit after finishing his lines,and Ive come onboard..so its the next summer or 2 in drop C...and writing for the next lp (Ive retuned,and turned the geetar to drop A..and shown him the wonders of upgraded pickups) using the 6 and 9. But for whats written and what we are performing live,its silly to use more than a 4.

Songwise Ive rewritten a good amount of the parts,they kinda were lazy and more guitar rather than drums,and theres a lot of melody that could be used,that isnt..and the drummers admitted that he has always followed the guitarist in any bands he's been in,in his own words Im the first fingerstyle Bassist he could actually hear...seeing as there are not many 'Bassplayers' out there,and Bass as Bass and drums in a ryth section in Metal as a genre is pretty much dead...(there are an awful lot of BAD metal Bassholders) its a learning curve for all of us.

But I do get a solo.... :)[/quote]

Ahh, I see.

Has the 9 still got a headstock? I remember reading a post where you said you've gone headless?

[quote name='ARGH' post='439021' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:53 AM']please!

You up for selling it??[/quote]
Yeah - someone on here has dibs on it, but haven't heard from him - I'll chase it up and let you know.
Mint, boxed, usual 4-wire option currently set up for standard 2-lead connection

[quote name='ARGH' post='439098' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:13 PM']No the 6 is headless....

Jase,theres No more room :) :rolleyes: its got 36 frets already!![/quote]

Ha! Well,the boundaries of bass have to be pushed....36 frets? yeah, you may aswell chuck one in then :D