Why become a member? ×

Is it really worth it

ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='439208' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:26 PM']You got any pics of the Modded Bass Jase??[/quote]

I have a few, I sold it a while ago though....what a fool but here's me and my son around 10 years ago: I havea few more but not on my pc, i did it with a CIJ reissue too.

[quote name='ARGH' post='439258' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:10 PM']Is that a Gibbo Fartbucker?? Looks silver.......[/quote]

No, it was a Dimarzio. They're black but I took the paint off with paint stripper...it's the model that doesn't line up with the string spacing.

[quote name='Jase' post='439260' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:12 PM']No, it was a Dimarzio. They're black but I took the paint off with paint stripper...it's the model that doesn't line up with the string spacing.[/quote]
Does that affect tone or output or anything??

[quote name='ARGH' post='439280' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:39 PM']Does that affect tone or output or anything??[/quote]

I just raised the pole pieces to compensate, I only noticed a drop in volume on the bass end when bending the G string, it went up past the poles....moved away from them...if you get me. Other than that it didn't really effect the output.

[quote name='ARGH' post='439302' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:17 PM']So in effect..the 'Willpower' might be a better idea...as it matches a Fenders string spacing?[/quote]

Yep I reckon it would, I'd go for the Willpower if I was doing it again.

[quote]Now the Band Im in plays in Drop C,and its only one guitarist,and I try to 'fill' the sonic space left as much as I can...[/quote]

The big question here should be "what is the guitarist is doing with his EQ?". If he's scooping his mids out, and over compensating with loads of bass & treble, which a lot of guitarists who detune do, he's seriously encroaching into the bass spectrum and killing the mix. Likewise, if you're scooping the mids too, you're both competing for the same soundwaves, and things tend to get a bit mushy.

If the guitarist cranks his mids and drops the bass/treble a bit, this should fill the gaps.

I played guitar in a 3 piece, and this all became obvious when we started recording rehearsal sessions, the bass & guitar were just competing for the bass spectrum, and the mids/tops were left a bit empty. On cranking re-evaluating the EQ, I cranked the mids, dropped the bass/treble, and bingo, next recording, both bass and guitar were clearly audible. Add some mids to the bass as well.

If nothing else, it's worth a try.

Im there fella,Im doing that..Ive been in 1 guitar bands both in functions and originals for on/off 15 years. Im up against a classic Marshall/Metalzone and Gibson player....Its route one,and I was brought up with the problem as a kid,How to fill...Im doing the job fairly well,but I feel theres more,and I could be doing more.

I dont scoop mids,I rev them,its just extra Bass,without mud..Everythings pretty ok when both of us are playing,Im trying to dish out as much during solos.

I dont want the 'Pantera' problem....using a clean Bass sound,under a solo,and watch the heavy leave the room,Im trying to Motorhead things without just being one colour.

Is that an understandable explanation?

Edited by ARGH

Couple of points - if you go for the 2 pup, 2 output way, do you trust the average soundman to reproduce both signals properly and blend them well?
In normal(ish) tunings, you might want to back off the distortion a tiny bit to get a fuller sound and maybe use a level boost during guitar solos?

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='439559' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:41 PM']Couple of points - if you go for the 2 pup, 2 output way, do you trust the average soundman to reproduce both signals properly and blend them well?
In normal(ish) tunings, you might want to back off the distortion a tiny bit to get a fuller sound and maybe use a level boost during guitar solos?[/quote]
Its going to take a long convo with our soundman,but he seems capable.....

If I was going back to regular tuning,in covers and functions work,I'd probably just run the instrument like a normal P. I had a natter to Jim earlier about it too.