Why become a member? ×

Recording woes

Andyalfa

Bit up and down at the moment to be honest. Once again the band is causing me grief. We spent a pretty intense 20 or so hours in the studio last weekend, recording and mixing a new CD of covers for prospective venues and clients. I was delighted with the results and wanted to get the music on our MySpace page ASAP. I’m also keen to get the disk to a duplication service for mastering and copying so I can start passing it round.

However, it seems that Mr Picky the lead guitarist wants to redo lots of fiddly little bits he’s not happy with (yet no-one else can hear) and told me to take them off. Now I’m not the most patient man and the thought of spending months tweaking every little backing twang will drive me mad. Things need to be kept in perspective. It’s not the new U2 album, it’s a 4 track demo. I say change the obvious bits, get the artwork sorted, get the copies done and get the fc*ker out there to tout for work!

<and breathe> I feel better now.

Just curious...
Are you allowed to put covers up on My Space..?

Guitards...dont you just love um..!
If he wants to be that anal...
Why dont he do it all on his own in Cubase or whatever...
The sound of quantised midi Drums and Bass...
Stunning Musical[b] performance [/b][u][/u]of the highest quality.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='438258' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:50 PM']Just curious...
Are you allowed to put covers up on My Space..?[/quote]

Probably not, but we had 4 tracks from our last demo (old band line-up) on for a couple of years without a problem.

As far as myself (and a couple of other people who've heard it) are concerned, it sounds fine. It does need mastering to get the levels right, but I doubt yer average pub landlord/happy couple would be able to tell, especially hearing the standalone disc rather than a back to back comparison.

The way I feel is that I'm happy to put my name to it and if he wants to pay for extra studio time for his own personal satisfaction and listening pleasure, then so be it. I'd rather use the extra cash to get decent cases for imporived presentation.

[quote name='51m0n' post='438314' date='Mar 18 2009, 02:52 PM']Tell him you're putting what you have up, if he wants to spend more of his own time and money redoing parts he's welcome to, next time he should get his stuff down before going into the studio though.[/quote]
Yup. Band vote?

If its shared money then it isn't right you all have to fork out because he wants to have another crack at something, when its perfectly fine as it is.

Obviously sometimes you probably need to humour individual band members to keep harmony (yuk yuk yuk) but other times you need to be pushing forward.

Spend the money on getting it mastered maybe?

[quote name='51m0n' post='438314' date='Mar 18 2009, 02:52 PM']Tell him you're putting what you have up, if he wants to spend more of his own time and money redoing parts he's welcome to, next time he should get his stuff down before going into the studio though.[/quote]

+1.

It sounds like he's being impossibly anal about the whole thing. He probably won't be happy after redoing the parts either... :)

Edit: Tell him to go and take a listen to Led Zep II. He'll lose count of the amount of fluffed notes on the guitar parts.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='438324' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:03 PM']+1.

It sounds like he's being impossibly anal about the whole thing. He probably won't be happy after redoing the parts either... :)[/quote]

An impossibly anal guitarist? Well I've met enough who are ****holes :rolleyes:

Sorry, apologies to all those offended, I'll get my coat!

[quote name='51m0n' post='438329' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:06 PM']An impossibly anal guitarist? Well I've met enough who are ****holes :rolleyes:

Sorry, apologies to all those offended, I'll get my coat![/quote]

No need to apologise, I was just going to ask if you knew him? Seriously though, he is very good, just a perfectionist. What he plays sounds great to me, but if he's not absolutely note perfect or he's slightly low in the mix, then he'll spend hours (and £'s) getting it just right. Fine if it was a general release we're selling, but not a 4 track demo. I think it sounds fantastic anyhow. Way better than the first one we did a while back. Even he said (on Sunday as we were leaving), "if they don't book us after hearing this, they don't deserve us". Sounds pretentious, but I have to say, I agree.

I'll put a link on here to some clips if/when they get uploaded again... :)

EXACTLY!

+1 Means you're not waiting too much time to get Mr Perfect's parts.....well perfect, and you can start booking gigs!