Cat Burrito

NBD: We don't appear to have ANY threads on these

I've been listening to a lot of old 60s records recently & then went on to some post punk. An occasional instrument that kept cropping up was the baritone bass. Co-incidentally I am in the studio this week and a track has a melody in it that would really suit a baritone, so I picked this up new for £299. A definite shot in the dark as there are NO YouTube videos and no references that I could find on Basschat's search setting.

IMG_4723.thumb.jpg.84f71aa1203b6abf4853a80fcb9e2914.jpg

I was initially taken by the baby blue finish and the retro vibe. There's the  whole "is it a bass or is it a guitar" angle and to be fair with the 6 strings and tremolo, I could understand people (who probably haven't heard it) arguing for the later. However, the lower register is definitely the domain of the bass player (& I am not letting my guitarist play the melody line - other than ghosting my part, if he behaves and asks nicely!). 

Some of the frets feel a little rough but I can sort that (it's a £299 bass so I don't want to belittle some poor quality control) and it needs a set up. The NBD was actually yesterday but I must confess I can't stop playing it. I guess I would sum it up as the bass for the bassist that already has "too many" basses. No case or trimmings at that price but I think once I get a clear go at tidying it up, it'll be great. Looking forward to getting it down in the studio.

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.8434fa0d95102e0f849651e7f10ca5f1.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice! There have been some mentions of the Jazz 6, but not the baritone I think. It cuts quite the dash next to my old Gretsch😉

• Like 1

Just now, howdenspur said:

It cuts quite the dash next to my old Gretsch😉

Was that your model? I picked it up from Classic & Cool guitars. 2012 serial number but it looks brand new.

14 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Was that your model? I picked it up from Classic & Cool guitars. 2012 serial number but it looks brand new.

Yep, I saw it on the C&C website and checked with a photo I had. Beautifully built bass.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, police squad said:

how is it tuned please?

E to E the same as a standard guitar I believe, but an octave lower. (I await to be corrected if I'm wrong)

I must admit I've always fancied one of these. 

They could probably do a reasonable impersonation of an actual bass, but with the extended range allow for some guitar like chords and acrobatics. 

Plus, they look superb! 

I saw a lefty on ebay in green and was tempted. The blue is much nicer. And you paid a third less, happy all round 

I saw a lefty in green at Anderton's and bought it.  Not a bad bass at all, me thinks.  Changed the strings for Newtone and it sounds and plays a lot better.  I've not been able to play it loud yet, and probably not in the foreseeable future, and the string spacing is taking some getting used to, but I'm liking it a lot!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.