Why become a member? ×

The 35" Scale

elsharko

[quote name='7string' post='470111' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:14 PM']I think low F would be a low F# a fourth below the low B found on some/most 5 and 6 string basses. There are guys who go down to C# a fourth below the F#.[/quote]
Yeah, I guessed they might have meant F#. Certainly makes more sense. I love the look of your bass, but my left hand saw it and ran away to hide in a cupboard. Poor thing suffers enough on a 5-string... :)

Its been said already, but I just don't see the advantage of a 35" scale, I find that every advantage gained on the low B is lost on the D an G strings, its an insignificantly small difference on both to these ears however. I'd go so far as to say I think its impossible to tell by listening to a recording what scale length is being played between the two.

[quote name='dj150888' post='471703' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:56 PM']Its been said already, but I just don't see the advantage of a 35" scale, I find that every advantage gained on the low B is lost on the D an G strings, its an insignificantly small difference on both to these ears however. I'd go so far as to say I think its impossible to tell by listening to a recording what scale length is being played between the two.[/quote]
Entirely agreed. But if, like me, you spend most of your life on the B and E strings (occasionally venturing forth onto that wild land known as the A), you don't mind sacrificing a bit of punch and zing from your D and G. And it would surprise me if [i]anyone[/i] could tell the scale length from a recording -- the 35" is all about feel for me, not sound.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='462965' date='Apr 15 2009, 01:31 PM']On the cheaper front, the Spector Performers are 35" as are Ibanez BTB. On the higher end of the scale, Mark Pulcinella basses are 35".

My observation is that some 34" necks seem longer and less easy to play than some 35". I used to think my old Thunderbird was 35" but it's was a 34". I guess it's to do with the neck's integration with the body, and also neck-dive balance.[/quote]

I've played 2 BTB's for a long time.
One 6-string and one 5-string and the 5-string is an early BTB.
They are very good and have done me well.

Problem I have with 35" scale is not enough cover for strings.
They do less gauge options in super long scale and most normal long scale won't fit.

There is a degree in difference for Low-B in 35" scale but I find 34" scale isn't as bad as some say.
The difference isn't felt much by the hands though.
My 2nd bass was a 6-string 35" scale and going to that from a Yamaha RBX170 34" scale wasn't as hard as you'd think.

So anyone worried about the length affecting them need not to.
You hardly feel it.

Also got a Traben Array, that's a 35".

The only thing you need to watch for is a longer neck = more tendancy to dive.
BTB's have HUGE bodies so no pros there but others I've played dive like crazy.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='471722' date='Apr 24 2009, 05:09 PM']Entirely agreed. But if, like me, you spend most of your life on the B and E strings (occasionally venturing forth onto that wild land known as the A), you don't mind sacrificing a bit of punch and zing from your D and G. And it would surprise me if [i]anyone[/i] could tell the scale length from a recording -- the 35" is all about feel for me, not sound.[/quote]

If you're aware you're not going to be using the G string, why not just get a 4 string tuned BEAD? would've thought that'd be more sensible, since as far as i'm aware it would just require filing down/getting a new nut.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='436988' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:35 AM']Jeez, I wish someone would do a masters thesis on aspects of bass guitar construction. It would put a lot of conjecture and assumptions to bed.[/quote]

I'll see if I can somehow make that the project for my mechanical engineering degree :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='465719' date='Apr 18 2009, 12:07 AM']One other important factor I forgot to mention - strings! I have used DR HiBeams for about 7 years now and they have the best sounding B I've come across. I tried tapered strings and while there is definition, the meat of the string is missing, plus palm muting is really difficult...[/quote]

I'll second that. I use D'addario as I find they have the best tention foe me and I have used Taperwounds in the past...WHilst they do give more clarity they seem to flop a bit more at the bridge and palm muting is almost impossable.

I'm interested in a Stringray 5-string now actually...is the Low-b particularly bad?
I've used a Jazz Bass 5-string...in fact it's a squier and the Low-b's not the bad...but again, strings, I did use a .135 non-taper.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the bstring on a Ray 5er I consider this one of the best bstrings on a 34 scale bass. Not the feeling of the ''wet
noodle'' under your finger. Ballsy tone, as they say, good response. But you have to do some research which strings you like best on a Ray.

[quote name='caruso' post='488360' date='May 14 2009, 11:17 PM']Regarding the bstring on a Ray 5er I consider this one of the best bstrings on a 34 scale bass. Not the feeling of the ''wet
noodle'' under your finger. Ballsy tone, as they say, good response. But you have to do some research which strings you like best on a Ray.[/quote]

You know I find that on some 34" scale basses the Low-B is better...sometimes you just find that bass & Low-B string that are made for each other.
The Low-B on my Squier Jazz V is real beefy yet it's technically nothing compared to my Ibanez, being a 35" and all...Odd eh?
Still...it does catch the neck pup if you slap it slightly harder than normal....which DOES happen in the moment.
But that's more a case of exposed poles maybe?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='caruso' post='488360' date='May 14 2009, 11:17 PM']Regarding the bstring on a Ray 5er I consider this one of the best bstrings on a 34 scale bass. Not the feeling of the ''wet
noodle'' under your finger. Ballsy tone, as they say, good response. But you have to do some research which strings you like best on a Ray.[/quote]

Having recently got a 'Ray...well an OLP one but still, a 5-string stingray all the same I must say you are right!
Along with the bite of the MM humbucker and the unusual amount of tention, my .130 Low-b (yes, not .135) is tight as!
With great response too.

Now...to add a neck pup and get those low-mids back...:)

• 1 month later...

Matt Pulcinella Guitars (MPG) come in 35" as standard. Wonderful instruments.

On the topic of the influence of scale length on the B-string's performance, I agree with the sentiment that other factors contribute to a greater extent. Excellent pickups and a super stiff neck well (graphite/graphite rods/fancywood laminates/whathaveyou) and probably a bunch of other parameters would get my vote before scale length. IME, limited as it is, I feel that the longer the scale the more you you gain in sustain but loose in attack/thump - but then again in the wonderful realm of bass lutherie there are other means (magic and angel dust for instance :) ) to balance that. It's truly multivariate.

Edited by BB3000S

It sure helped me a lot with all these inputs on the subject! I've decided to try a 34" - I once owned an ESP Horizon V but it never really grew on me. Does any of you know if that particular model is 34" or 35", because as I recall it was a little too tense on the D and G strings......compared to my favourite Fender that is.

Just tried out a Sadowsky Metro RV5....this is not my next bass. I experienced that the EADG-strings sounded as expected ( very clear and bright ) but the B string lacked tone. I could hear the string but I couldn't define which note was being played. I tried to play at the bridge position as well as the neck position, and every pu combination. I even used my own bass rig ( Eden WT800 and Eden 210T, and I also tried it out on an Epifani rig. Same story.
Now I wonder if it is due to the 34" scale - :)

Any comments on the Läkland Skyline Darry Jones V'er vs. the Sadowsky?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='XB26354' post='437044' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:32 PM']...Of these I believe the most important qualities are the woods, construction quality and pickups...[/quote]
It sure is. Here are some videos to prove it:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52TOh3f9Oo&feature=channel"]Youtube 1[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45actuCQ8Y&feature=related"]Youtube 2[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thiNm6DBAws&feature=related"]Youtube 3[/url]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new name for the 35" list. I have a Reverend 5L which is 35" scale and semi-solid! I also have a Stingray 5 and love the B string (and all the others). I've had a Modulus Quantum 6 and an Overwater Progress 5 (35" and 36" respectively) but, personally, I prefer the Ray overall to both of them.

Anyone else got a Reverend?

PTB

I have owned lots of 5-string basses, and my conclusion so far is that 35" is highly recommended over 34" whenever there is more than 4 strings. The only 34" 5-string basses that I have owned that really had a tight, focused B-string AND a good feeling are Musicman Stingray 5's. I have owned three different ones over the years, and they all had great sounding and feeling B-strigs. However, the tight string spacing caused me to sell them again...

Regarding 35" basses, I have owned: Celinders (J-Updates), Lakland (55-02), Mørch (custom built), Traben Sun, and a MTD (635-24). They all had great B-strings...

Apart from the Stingray 5's, I have owned a few 34" 5-stringers: Fender Marcus Miller V, Atelier Z, and I have tried out a few Sadowskys as well. I know I risk being unpopular, but here goes... I didn't like any of them - mostly because they all had floppy B-strings and/or a less focused sounding B-strings... Just MHO :-)

I have a Zon Sonus Special 5 fretless and that is a 35" scale. Sounds fine to me, I have to stretch a tad more playing close to the nut.

My other 5er is a Stingray, 34" and sounds fine. Sterling ball is adamant about 34" and I think he's got it right on his instruments.

I don't think it's an argument about 34" vs 35" for the B, I think it's about finding a manufacturer who knows what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Sonus Special Five String comes with a 34 inch scale as standard (as do their six strings). Zons have massive B strings which might well be a function of the carbon graphite neck.

All the other 5 strings I have enjoyed tonally and playability-wise have had had 34 inch scales e.g. Ken Smith. I didn't get on with the big Laklands at all feelwise.

Having said that, for me personally I'm going the other way and dropping the low B in favour of a high C for chording :)

Those unicornbasses look interesting!

C

I was given a prototype bolt on Explorer with a precision pickup by the folks at Massman Drive years and years ago - still my main bass but arthritis makes it difficult to play these days.
That is 35" four string from the early eighties.
Oh and I had a luthier in Nashville add one of the earlier P/J sets from EMG at the same time.

I dont have any photos but will try and take one & post it next time I am home.

My Skjold is 35" 4 string 24 fret, it's no big difference to play from my Fenders (P or J), but with GHS black nylons on it's really smooth & easy downtuned at DGCF :) Sweet :lol:
Edit: The black nylons are on the Skjold - not me! Just in case you were wondering :rolleyes:

Edited by KiOgon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

.. I think that 35 "is not salvation itself to the person, if the tool is carefully constructed from high quality materials .. and shorter 34" Five string instruments can clearly play well .. I feel that today are often just a fashion moves the manufacturers to produce lower-quality materials used and the deep resonance of the strings catching 35 " ..