Why become a member? ×

Effect You Never Knew You Needed

stewblack

All the searching, buying, trying and moving on that we do, the seemingly endless quest for the perfect pedal, and sometimes one just falls into your lap. 

I bought Mr Black's Fwonkbeta, it had my name on it. Its great. Then, idly browsing FB marketplace I see another Mr B pedal for sale, and without thinking I've only gone and bought it. 

The Gilamondo is an eight stage phase shift. Whatever that means. It is amazing. Exactly the right blend of psychedelia and general swooshing, swirly, foldy, in and outiness that my ears seem to love. 

I thought I was after the perfect chorus and the perfect auto wah. Turns out that I also needed this all along. 

What effect have you ended up with in similar circumstances? Bought a Behringer because it matched your tie, and it turned out to be exactly what you wanted? Scored a Strymon, or won a Wampler because you had one too many sips of Skol and found yourself on Ebay? 

Or are you just way too careful and considered to ever roll the dice in such a way? 

I would say an EQ pedal I always thought they were a little pointless but I'm a convert now 

Next ones not really a pedal it's the overdrive circuit on my amp I've tried lots of drive pedals but turns out I had what I wanted all along on my amp but still will be experimenting with other drives lol

Edited by Thunderbird

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

I would say an EQ pedal I always thought they were a little pointless but I'm a convert now 

Next ones not really a pedal it's the overdrive circuit on my amp I've tried lots of drive pedals but turns out I had what I wanted all along on my amp but still will be experimenting with other drives lol

I'm the same with the OD on my Ashdown RM, it's perfect so why are there three others on my board?? 

On 03/10/2020 at 12:16, stewblack said:

The Gilamondo is an eight stage phase shift. Whatever that means.

Phasers are notch filters. A notch filter is sort of the opposite of a bandpass filter (aka peak filter). A bandpass boosts a narrow band of frequencies of the signal around the cutoff. A notch filter cuts a narrow band of frequencies around the cutoff.

A single notch filter can be thought of as dividing the frequency spectrum into two “stages” - one above the cutoff, one below. An 8-stage phaser is therefore 4 notch filters.

Phasers sweep these notch frequencies using an LFO.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Phasers are notch filters. A notch filter is sort of the opposite of a bandpass filter (aka peak filter). A bandpass boosts a narrow band of frequencies of the signal around the cutoff. A notch filter cuts a narrow band of frequencies around the cutoff.

A single notch filter can be thought of as dividing the frequency spectrum into two “stages” - one above the cutoff, one below. An 8-stage phaser is therefore 4 notch filters.

Phasers sweep these notch frequencies using an LFO.

Thank you. So could I reproduce the effect on the FI then?

On 03/10/2020 at 21:24, stewblack said:

I'm the same with the OD on my Ashdown RM, it's perfect so why are there three others on my board?? 

After a play about I've left my ashdown od on all the time just for a little bit extra and am using the bad monkey for extra drive then an ebs fuzzmo is my final drive obviously not all at once though lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

No, the FI has one dedicated notch filter and then the two mid controls in the EQ can be used to create two more. So a 6-stage is potentially possible.

Ah yes. But still, an interesting project. 

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

Ah yes. But still, an interesting project. 

One of my factory patches makes it into a 4-stage phaser. It’s not bad, but not quite as deep as others because the mids don’t go low enough compared to dedicated phasers. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

I would have said my Jim Dunlop Bass Wah. It was awesome but in a 2 guitar band it wasn't getting anywhere near the use it deserved and I am happily living without it.

I always scoffed at amp sims and cab sims for people who played through amps and cabs. Possibly because my first experiences of them were in a Zoom BFX708 so that's... 20 years ago. Now, even though I have a very good amp, the main effects I use are essentially EQ effects based on amp and cab sounds! A Trace Elliot simulator is my main one at the minute, but there's also a "super flat" amp sound I used a lot with a lot of compression that really sounded awesome with my Sire active jazz, there's an effect I'm just going to call "Duff" which is essentially my copy of Duff McKagans tone that is mostly amp sim with a chorus I can kick in. When I had a Fender Bronco bass amp I didn't bother with the on board effects but loved going through the different amp sims to get different flavours out of the bass. All I have now is a Boss GT10B old but solid tech. I don't know if the audience can hear any difference if I change from Trace Elliot to Super flat or if they even care, but it makes me happy. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MartinB said:

I bought a compressor to limit peaks when playing slap. Turns out I also really like it for adding a certain bouncy magic to fingerstyle!

Similar to me, I bought one to even out string to string volume on my Jazz bass and it worked a great last night. 

• Like 1