Why become a member? ×

Long time lurker... Hello everyone!

S.F.Sorrow

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker. Love the forum. About time I joined the conversation.

I've been playing bass for about 30 years. Mostly electric but I can do some half-decent double bass in a pinch. My taste in music has always been centered around 60s/70s rock/psych/prog. Bands like The Pretty Things, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson plus a lot of more obscure stuff. I also love classical music. Particularly the late renaissance/early baroque period, like Monteverdi.

I started out playing metal but I've spent most of my time in a psych/prog band. Nothing particularly successful but we did a couple of small tours around Europe. Mostly clubs and some festivals. We had a small, dedicated fan base but the music was just a little too weird for any mainstream success. And even if we had been more mainstream we probably didn't have the level of commitment required for success in the music industry.

I own far too many basses and amps. I get embarrassed just thinking about it.... Lets just say my favorites are passive P-basses and quirky vintage short scale basses. But I own all kinds of basses.

My favorite amps are Hiwatt DR201, Carlsbro 100TC, Marshall Super Bass and my absolute favorite amp for recording: the 50w Selmer Treble'n'Bass MkI (the croc skin version with a tube rectifier).

I've pretty much given up on touring and being in a band. Life got in the way and bills needed to be paid. I'm really more of a hobby engineer/producer than a bass player these days but I'm still VERY interested in anything to do with bass and I still do some occasional bass session work. Mostly just stuff with friends though.

I've got a pretty decent recording studio but it has never been by main source of income. More of a hobby that I occasionally make some extra money from. Or in some cases a swap of personal favors: I produce your album, you paint my apartment. It just feels better that way. I didn't get into this for the money but for the love of music. I could never be a pro musician. I simply don't have that drive and ambition. To cover some of the rent for my studio I share it with friends who use it mostly as a rehearsal space for their bands.

I currently also have a sort of part time apprenticeship with an experienced luthier. I love tinkering with basses/guitars so maybe this will be my regular job at some point. Who knows? But I won't quit my regular job anytime soon.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting about bass with you all! :)

19 hours ago, S.F.Sorrow said:

My favorite amps are Hiwatt DR201, Carlsbro 100TC, Marshall Super Bass and my absolute favorite amp for recording: the 50w Selmer Treble'n'Bass MkI (the croc skin version with a tube rectifier).

Jeez, I've used all of those at some point in my lengthy playing career!

Welcome to the forum, where you'll meet some of the most polite and friendly people that ever were.

20 hours ago, S.F.Sorrow said:

I own far too many basses and amps. I get embarrassed just thinking about it.... Lets just say my favorites are passive P-basses and quirky vintage short scale basses. But I own all kinds of basses.

Don't begin to imagine that you'll end up with less gear after being on this forum, it just won't happen   :/

By the way, whereabouts are you based?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Jeez, I've used all of those at some point in my lengthy playing career!

Welcome to the forum, where you'll meet some of the most polite and friendly people that ever were.

Don't begin to imagine that you'll end up with less gear after being on this forum, it just won't happen   :/

By the way, whereabouts are you based?

Sound like you've played some great amps in your playing career! Maybe one of them is currently located in my studio. 😁

Yes, I really like the vibe on this forum.

Believe it or not, there's not a single bass related piece of gear I'm currently drooling over (except possibly an early 60s Sonic Blue Precision but if I could even find one in good condition it would be so far out of my budget that it's really just a fantasy). My current wish list is actually more about studio gear and analog synths. Which is why I can never join a synth forum. Those guys are utterly insane and take gear lust to a whole new level!

But bass has always been my passion and my main instrument so this might change after a while around here of course. 😁 And when Fender brings out whatever they've got lined up for the P-bass anniversary I'm probably doomed. I've got a turbulent love/hate relationship with Fender but whenever they bring out a cool looking P-bass I just can't resist. But when I said my favorites are "passive P-basses" that doesn't necessarily mean Fender. My current favorite P-basses are a passive Sandberg and a Yamaha BBP34. Amazing instruments!

I'm in Norway btw.

• Like 2