Why become a member? ×

Hair

alexclaber

I recently resurrected my '87 Warwick Streamer and replaced ye olde Bootzillas with some nylon tapewounds to turn it into an old school funk machine. They're a little too fresh but I think given time it could be a fine beast for laying it down in the name of the sailor-suited brother.

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='433752' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:59 PM']....Awesome! Looks like Sly on keys & BVs - but far too animated to be him, surely?....[/quote]
It would not have been Sly. Larry Graham quit acrimoniously because Sly was using a lot of his ideas and not giving him co-writing credit. Where have we heard that before?

When I was 15 my mate's dad pulled out GCS' "Ain't No Bout A Doubt It" from his collection and put it on. Life was never the same again.

He also had a load of old Cannonball Adderley, Art Blakey, Modern Jazz Quartet, Joni Mitchell, The Meters, AWB, all sorts of cool stuff. He'd pick out a new record every couple of weeks and say "You might like this one", top bloke. :)

Thanks for sharing!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='433831' date='Mar 13 2009, 03:59 PM']I recently resurrected my '87 Warwick Streamer and replaced ye olde Bootzillas with some nylon tapewounds to turn it into an old school funk machine. They're a little too fresh but I think given time it could be a fine beast for laying it down in the name of the sailor-suited brother.

Alex[/quote]

Sounds good. Having seen the videos of Bobby Vega on bassplayer tv (which I think you posted too?) I have always wanted a jazz with tapewounds for the old school sounds.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='434248' date='Mar 13 2009, 10:37 PM']I absolutely love Larry and GCS. The whole reason I slap the way I do. None of your Mark King 24th Fret widdly widdly widdly widdly bits. Always just behind the pickup.YOu can totally vary the sound from there[/quote]

Absolutely! I swear you wouldn't get all this slap hating if slappers stuck with the Larry Graham vibe. Bobby Vega is incredible at nailing that sound, hearing him play Hair on BP.tv a couple of years ago totally blew me away.

Alex