Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Abm input gain users advice

danbanbass

Hi all,

I'm after some advice, the way I have the head setup the input uv lives in the red, there’s no sign of any audible clipping is his ok?

I usually run the gain at 12 o’clock and feel the uv meter doesn’t really give an accurate reading.

I ask as I don’t want to damage the head in any way whatsoever.

Setup is as follows:

Musicman 3eq Stingray 

Darkglass B7K into the high input

Ashdown Abm 500 Evo i 

Ashdown Routemaster 6x10 (Horn off)

Additionally any recommendations for a very light comping compressor that I can stick on the pedal board?

Cheers

Edited by danbanbass

As far as I'm aware, the VU meter is not that accurate. I'd go by your ears and if it doesn't sound like it's clipping, then don't worry too much about it.

I've had two and never had any problems when the VU has gone into the red.

Edited by gjones

1 minute ago, gjones said:

As far as I'm aware, the VU meter is not that accurate. I'd go by your ears and if it doesn't sound like it's clipping, then don't worry too much about it.

That’s good because it lives in the red section. 🤣

Edited by danbanbass

I’ve had the input gain on full on my RM500 this eve, and wasn’t anywhere near the red - apparently the pickups in the Professional Jazz aren’t that powerful, but I like their sound so I’m keeping them.

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve had the input gain on full on my RM500 this eve, and wasn’t anywhere near the red - apparently the pickups in the Professional Jazz aren’t that powerful, but I like their sound so I’m keeping them.

Can you get the green light to flash?  I can quite easily on my RM800, way before the needle gets to the red.  I assume the green flashing light indicates clipping but I'm not sure...

On 28/07/2020 at 10:06, danbanbass said:

I usually run the gain at 12 o’clock 

Will depend also on the input level after your pedals I think . I run my ABM gain at about 2 o clock but the needle only goes in to red zone occasionally.

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

Can you get the green light to flash?  I can quite easily on my RM800, way before the needle gets to the red.  I assume the green flashing light indicates clipping but I'm not sure...

Will depend also on the input level after your pedals I think . I run my ABM gain at about 2 o clock but the needle only goes in to red zone occasionally.

Green light means signal level is OK, it will turn red if you’re clipping the input :)

On the RM heads I have made the input clip and it’s not as successful in terms of tone. I always nudge the input gain down a smidge from getting the red clip led going. The ABM preamp in comparison just seems to like being driven hard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Green light means signal level is OK, it will turn red if you’re clipping the input :)

Happier with that - I can't get it to clip then in that case, but I can see why tone wise it wouldn't be where the ABM is ...