Why become a member? ×

Anyone who got any experience with the Nux Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp?

Baloney Balderdash

• 3 weeks later...

I used this last night with our tribute band. Straight into the practice rooms pa (mixer set flat) which had x2 unmatched mid budget to cheap 12 speakers.

Set to MLD amp, SVT 810 cab sim, very slight bass and low mid boost. Very light drive on.

Best sound i ever had. Cant wait to hear it through a top pa.

Rich, powerful, well balanced, fitted the band perfect with no need for tweaking. Very controllable as the pa spread the sound all over the room.

Over the moon with this pedal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I used this last night with our tribute band. Straight into the practice rooms pa (mixer set flat) which had x2 unmatched mid budget to cheap 12 speakers.

Set to MLD amp, SVT 810 cab sim, very slight bass and low mid boost. Very light drive on.

Best sound i ever had. Cant wait to hear it through a top pa.

Rich, powerful, well balanced, fitted the band perfect with no need for tweaking. Very controllable as the pa spread the sound all over the room.

Over the moon with this pedal.

Awesome!  Did you experiment with the other IRs too?  I like that is shows you a graphic of what each IR is doing to your tone.

Mine arrived last night, update etc went as straight forward as could ask for.  Only had headphone use, but it sounds fantastic.  All of the IR's sound great and surprisingly accurate (better than the HX stomp I had) but I landed on the Starlifter and a Celestion 410 I bought for said stomp, but only because I'd bought it so feel that I should use it.  If this could be changed remotely without pc linkup, I suspect I'd be forever changing the amp and IR

40 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Awesome!  Did you experiment with the other IRs too?  I like that is shows you a graphic of what each IR is doing to your tone.

Mine arrived last night, update etc went as straight forward as could ask for.  Only had headphone use, but it sounds fantastic.  All of the IR's sound great and surprisingly accurate (better than the HX stomp I had) but I landed on the Starlifter and a Celestion 410 I bought for said stomp, but only because I'd bought it so feel that I should use it.  If this could be changed remotely without pc linkup, I suspect I'd be forever changing the amp and IR

I tried the trace 4x10 last week, with the starfire. It was a very good trace clone. It had the tight trace sound. Worked well to be fair. In comparison the svt is more full rather than tight.

Regarding the editor and irs, that's the only downside of the pedal - you need to be connected to your laptop to change amp or cab.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally placed an order on one of these preamp pedals, should arrive by the end of the week.

From what you wrote it sounds like I will be using the Nordstrand StarLifter amp model and 4 X 10" Trace Elliot cab model. 

Took NUX quite a while to include more amp and stock cab models, hopefully more will be added, as promised, though if the StarLifter + Trace cab model does a decent job at emulating a Trace Elliot like rig I should be more than happy with what this pedal comes with currently from stock.

And I for one am totally fine with it's "set and forget via PC" nature of this pedal too.

One great amp+cab sim that meet my preference is all I need really.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I finally placed an order on one of these preamp pedals, should arrive by the end of the week.

From what you wrote it sounds like I will be using the Nordstrand StarLifter amp model and 4 X 10" Trace Elliot cab model. 

Took NUX quite a while to include more amp and stock cab models, hopefully more will be added, as promised, though if the StarLifter + Trace cab model does a decent job at emulating a Trace Elliot like rig I should be more than happy with what this pedal comes with currently from stock.

And I for one am totally fine with it's "set and forget via PC" nature of this pedal too.

I'm now on the mld amp and svt 8x10. Gigged with it, sounded great. Big and heavy sound like an svt, complete contrast to the starfire and trace  - which shows its versatility.

On 01/03/2023 at 12:09, Baloney Balderdash said:

Somehow the delivery failed because of a slightly miswritten address, otherwise I would have had it early this afternoon, but instead it got dropped off at a pickup point, and I just got the message that it was ready for pickup, so within an hour or so I am going to pick it up.

Very exited!

Just hope it will be free of all the issues I've read some people has experienced with getting the, quite crucial for this pedal's functionality, software to work properly.

Still at that price for, judging from what I've read and heard, such an absolutely amazing pedal I guess somewhat lacking quality control is fully acceptable, after all I still got 30 days full refund with no questions asked.

Will report back as soon as I've had chance to test it properly.

Though really I am just looking for one set and forget tone, so just going to browse through the combinations while twisting knobs, until I find the one that works best for me and the rest of my setup.

Really looking forward to this!

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Somehow the delivery failed because of a slightly miswritten address otherwise I would have had it early this afternoon, but instead it got dropped off at a pickup point, and I just got the message that it was ready for pickup, so within an hour I am going to pick it up.

Very exited!

Just hope it will be free of all the issues I've read some people has experienced with getting the, quite crucial for this pedal's functionality, software to work properly.

Still at that price for, judging from what I've read and heard, such an absolutely amazing pedal I guess somewhat lacking quality control is fully acceptable, after all I still got 30 days full refund with no questions asked.

Though really I am just looking for one set and forget tone, so just going to browse through the combinations while twisting knobs, until I find the one that works best for me and the rest of my setup.

Just remember the I instructions above about turning it on when holding down the buttons, you need BOTH lights to be flashing to edit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Somehow the delivery failed because of a slightly miswritten address otherwise I would have had it early this afternoon, but instead it got dropped off at a pickup point, and I just got the message that it was ready for pickup, so within an hour I am going to pick it up.

Very exited!

If it's any help, only issue I encountered was using a cheaper usb cable. When I swapped to a better quality one it worked fine. Just follow the instructions; especially the update ones, and you can't go wrong!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

If it's any help, only issue I encountered was using a cheaper usb cable. When I swapped to a better quality one it worked fine. Just follow the instructions; especially the update ones, and you can't go wrong!

Yep, same as my experience. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 18:42, Baloney Balderdash said:

Somehow the delivery failed because of a slightly miswritten address, otherwise I would have had it early this afternoon, but instead it got dropped off at a pickup point, and I just got the message that it was ready for pickup, so within an hour or so I am going to pick it up.

Very exited!

Meh... :|

Sounds alright, but not exactly blown away by it.

Update of firmware and editor worked without issues though.

Well except for the fact that the editor won't let me transfer third party IR files, even after I run them through the official NUX converter on 48Khz 24 Bit resolution/quality it claims that they aren't Wave files and stuck saying loading, then if I click the IR graph field where it says "loading" a blue field forms around the "loading" letters, and then if I click that again it turns into a white text box saying "loading", where I can actually delete the letters and write something else (all the while the rest of the editor continues to work as it is supposed to, and I can still load the stock IR files. :scratch_one-s_head:

Any of you got any idea of how to make the editor recognize the IR Wav files?

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well except for the fact that the editor won't let me transfer third party IR files, even after I run them through the official NUX converter on 48Khz 24 Bit resolution/quality it claims that they aren't Wave files and stuck saying loading, then if I click the IR graph, where it says "loading" a blue field forms around the "loading" letters, and then if I click that again it turns into a white text box saying "loading", where I can actually delete the letters and write something else (all the while the rest of the editor continues to work as it is supposed to, and I can still load the stock IR files. :scratch_one-s_head:

Any of you any idea of how to make the editor recognize the IR Wav files?

That's a shame!  Nothing worse than an underwhelming new gear day!  I really enjoy mine, but I came from a tube pre so found the clarity refreshing.

I had no issues with WAV IR files, I just click the empty slot, click the upload button and choose my file,  even at  96Khz (or whatever the official number is).  They upload straight away.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 11:33, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well except for the fact that the editor won't let me transfer third party IR files, even after I run them through the official NUX converter on 48Khz 24 Bit resolution/quality it claims that they aren't Wave files and stuck saying loading, then if I click the IR graph field where it says "loading" a blue field forms around the "loading" letters, and then if I click that again it turns into a white text box saying "loading", where I can actually delete the letters and write something else (all the while the rest of the editor continues to work as it is supposed to, and I can still load the stock IR files. :scratch_one-s_head:

Any of you got any idea of how to make the editor recognize the IR Wav files?

On 03/03/2023 at 17:37, thisisswanbon said:

That's a shame!  Nothing worse than an underwhelming new gear day!  I really enjoy mine, but I came from a tube pre so found the clarity refreshing.

I had no issues with WAV IR files, I just click the empty slot, click the upload button and choose my file,  even at  96Khz (or whatever the official number is).  They upload straight away.

I'll retract my initial opinion!

Turns out I had too much other crap in my signal chain to actually hear this preamp as it really sounds.

I tried my bass directly into the preamp and then out through my fairly high end studio grade (basically just meaning FRFR) headphones, and this preamp does actually sound great.

Just need to weed out the rest of my signal chain, getting rid of some other always on units and somehow sorting out some tone suck happening somewhere as well (did plan to completely rearrange my setup anyway).

This is the settings on the NUX I've settled for for now:

The Aguilar Tonehammer amp emulation and the Ampeg SV212 IR cab simulation, with the HPF set at 40Hz and the LPF set at just below 14kHz, then Bass at about 2 o'clock (70), Middle at about 3 o'clock (84), with the middle Freq at about 2 o'clock (398Hz), Treble at about 1 o'clock (54), and the Drive engaged with the Drive control set at 9 o'clock (13) and Blend control at noon position (50).

Seems to work really well for both finger style and pick playing, and I am sure it will get even better once I got my signal chain rearrange and sorted out and with a bit of compression added. 

However the editor still refuses to load 3rd party IR files, claiming they are not Wav files, despite having tried out several different ones in several different resolutions and bit depths, including the supposed proper 48kHz 24 bit for this unit (they were all from Doctor Bonkers though, so maybe getting hold of some 3rd party IR cab files from another source is worth a shot as well, if bellow actions have no effect either).

So I'll try giving downloading the editor, as well as downloading and updating the firmware, once more a shot, and if that doesn't sort the problem I might have to send my unit back for a replacement that then hopefully will work.

Kind of sucks, especially cause the shop I bought it at of course is out of stock at the moment (apparently I must have bought their last one), so all in all could take a while before I get one back that works, that is of course unless downloading and updating the software once more sort out this issue.

The strange thing is that both the pedal it self and the software otherwise seems to work exactly as it is supposed to and without any other issues, even the firmware update went through completely trouble free without any of the otherwise seemingly common issues with this unit.

In a live mix I just use the pedal, cab sim on, bass about 11 o'clock, mids about 2 o'clock, freq around 10 o'clock, and treble about 11 o'clock.

Using a precision it sounds nice and grindy, fits the mix lovely through the pa. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Tomas73 said:

Hi guys, I’m thinking about getting one of these, but am wondering if it can be used without fiddling around with a PC.

Presumably it has a stock IR installed that you can use (?)

Cheers,

Tom

It can be used like that, but honestly you will missing out on 90% of the features and attraction of it, as it will seriously limit the range of it's tweaking/customization capabilities, in which case there might be better/cheaper options on the market.

I mean it very much is a one time, or at least only once in while customization tweaking in the software editor, with it connected to your PC, finding your preferred amp model, and IR cab sim and some additional tweaking only possible in the software editor, getting it to sound exactly as you wish, which I'd say it is quite essential.

It isn't really meant for constant tweaking.

What is the issue, if I may ask, it isn't exactly rocket science to download an app and connect the pedal with an USB cable?

Not making use of the software editor would be kind of like buying a pedal but be restricted to only using 10% or so of all the knobs actual range.

Or literally like buying 3 amps and 8 cabs, and HPF/LPF pedal, but never using, heck not even trying, the latter, and only ever using 1 of the amps and 1 of the cabs, not even ever just trying out the others as much as just once.

So yeah, possible, but kind of a silly waste.

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It can be used like that, but honestly you will missing out on 90% of the features and attraction of it, as it will seriously limit the range of it's tweaking/customization capabilities, in which case there might be better/cheaper options on the market.

I mean it very much is a one time, or at least only once in while customization tweaking in the software editor, with it connected to your PC, finding your preferred amp model, and IR cab sim and some additional tweaking only possible in the software editor, getting it to sound exactly as you wish, which I'd say it is quite essential.

It isn't really meant for constant tweaking.

What is the issue, if I may ask, it isn't exactly rocket science to download an app and connect the pedal with an USB cable?

Not making use of the software editor would be kind of like buying a pedal but be restricted to only using 10% or so of all the knobs actual range.

Or literally like buying 3 amps and 8 cabs, and HPF/LPF pedal, but never using, heck not even trying, the latter, and only ever using 1 of the amps and 1 of the cabs, not even ever just trying out the others as much as just once.

So yeah, possible, but kind of a silly waste.

Apparently several users have found it can be a bit of an unmerrygoround, and so, being all to familiar with working with buggy software, it’s not something I personally would choose to introduce into my leisure time, tbh.

(Hence I’m putting together a pedalboard with as little menu diving as possible 😉👍)

On 10/04/2023 at 00:48, Tomas73 said:

Apparently several users have found it can be a bit of an unmerrygoround, and so, being all to familiar with working with buggy software, it’s not something I personally would choose to introduce into my leisure time, tbh.

(Hence I’m putting together a pedalboard with as little menu diving as possible 😉👍)

Then this pedal probably isn't the right choice for you.

Some of Tech 21's all analog offerings (both analog preamp section and analog speaker sim) would be a much better choice for this (I'd recommend the Steve Harris SH-1 pedal, which is much much more versatile than the name might suggest, and definitely not just for metal, or perhaps just the classic VT Bass pedal, for a more compact, if somewhat less versatile option, the QStrip would be a great choice as well, and also offer a huge amount of versatility, even more so than the Steve Harris pedal, but it will require quite a bit of experimentation to dial in right and that you are really familiar with how to use equalization in general (I'd advice against the Bass Driver pedal, as that one got a baked in nasty mid scoop, and being less versatile than even the VT Bass). 

13 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

it isn't exactly rocket science to download an app and connect the pedal with an USB cable?

The experience of dozens of people (including me) would beg to differ though. A good proportion of this talkbass thread is people complaining about it. Perhaps it was bugs that have since been fixed though. 

Edited by SumOne

14 hours ago, Tomas73 said:

Hi guys, I’m thinking about getting one of these, but am wondering if it can be used without fiddling around with a PC.

Presumably it has a stock IR installed that you can use (?)

Cheers,

Tom

You could look at a TC Electronics Spectradrive which can be used as is or change the Toneprints for the compressor and drive.

I looked at the Nux but was put off by the software glitches.

Edited by naxos10

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2023 at 20:22, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'll retract my initial opinion!

Turns out I had too much other crap in my signal chain to actually hear this preamp as it really sounds.

I tried my bass directly into the preamp and then out through my fairly high end studio grade (basically just meaning FRFR) headphones, and this preamp does actually sound great.

Just need to weed out the rest of my signal chain, getting rid of some other always on units and somehow sorting out some tone suck happening somewhere as well (did plan to completely rearrange my setup anyway).

This is the settings on the NUX I've settled for for now:

The Aguilar Tonehammer amp emulation and the Ampeg SV212 IR cab simulation, with the HPF set at 40Hz and the LPF set at just below 14kHz, then Bass (40Hz) at about 2 o'clock (70), Middle at about 3 o'clock (84), with the middle Freq at about 1 o'clock (398Hz), Treble (4kHz) at about 1 o'clock (54), and the Drive engaged with the Drive control set at 9 o'clock (13) and Blend control at noon position (50).

Seems to work really well for both finger style and pick playing, and I am sure it will get even better once I got my signal chain rearrange and sorted out and with a bit of compression added. 

However the editor still refuses to load 3rd party IR files, claiming they are not Wav files, despite having tried out several different ones in several different resolutions and bit depths, including the supposed proper 48kHz 24 bit for this unit (they were all from Doctor Bonkers though, so maybe getting hold of some 3rd party IR cab files from another source is worth a shot as well, if bellow actions have no effect either).

So I'll try giving downloading the editor, as well as downloading and updating the firmware, once more a shot, and if that doesn't sort the problem I might have to send my unit back for a replacement that then hopefully will work.

Kind of sucks, especially cause the shop I bought it at of course is out of stock at the moment (apparently I must have bought their last one), so all in all could take a while before I get one back that works, that is of course unless downloading and updating the software once more sort out this issue.

The strange thing is that both the pedal it self and the software otherwise seems to work exactly as it is supposed to and without any other issues, even the firmware update went through completely trouble free without any of the otherwise seemingly common issues with this unit.

I've tried downloading and reinstalling the newest firmware update once more, and downloaded the most recent version of the editor again as well, but it still refuses to load any 3rd party IR's to the pedal, no matter the format, including the supposed correct one, with the error message that it is not a wav file.

So pretty certain that my pedal is in fact faulty.

Still I couldn't be bothered to send it back, cause I am actually extremely satisfied with the above quoted settings, using the stock Ampeg SV212 IR cab simulation.

And in every other aspect, except for being unable to install 3rd party IR files, it does work flawlessly, exactly as it is supposed to.

So my this is what my current "amp-less" basic always on "clean" signal chain consist of:

Xvive Undulator (tremolo pedal, though never actually engaged, and exclusively used for it's great buffer, as the Black Finger input impedance is only 150kOhm) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, though only a very subtle compression beside the natural compression that the tubes produce is dialed in (low compression ratio, relatively long attack time, high threshold, and compressing the high end slightly more than the low end), and really primarily functioning as a tube preamp stage, with its two EHX 12AX7EH preamp tubes, operating at proper high 300V voltage, driven to just on the verge of the breakup point) ->> Zoom B1Xon (which is mainly used for various reverb effects, including an always on subtle reverb, consisting of a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb) ->> NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI (using the above quoted settings) ->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with its build in fixed at 40Hz -12dB/Oct HPF engaged, and its 12AX7EH preamp tube driven to just on the verge of breakup)

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

@Baloney Balderdash

I've just updated the firmware in my pedal and everything still works.

I use the IR from here:

https://shift-line.com/irpackbass

Have you tried these?

Thanks for trying to help out, appreciated. :i-m_so_happy:

But just downloaded that IR pack you linked to and tried to load a couple into my MLD preamp via the editor, and as I expected without any luck, it still gives me the exact same error message as with every other IR file I attempted to load to the pedal, claiming that they are not wav files.

I even tried using NUX's own IR format converter, and even files converted to the supposed right format are rejected by the pedal.

And as said I also tried to download and update both the firmware and editor twice, to rule out a software error, and still without getting it work.

I also tried out loading the IR files to different empty user IR slots, to no avail either.

And I think it is safe to rule out the USB cable I use too as the editor as well as the firmware updates otherwise reacts and works flawlessly, exactly as it is supposed to, in every other aspect.

So, as said, I am quite certain my pedal is in fact faulty.

• 4 months later...
On 18/05/2023 at 11:04, Baloney Balderdash said:

Thanks for trying to help out, appreciated. :i-m_so_happy:

But just downloaded that IR pack you linked to and tried to load a couple into my MLD preamp via the editor, and as I expected without any luck, it still gives me the exact same error message as with every other IR file I attempted to load to the pedal, claiming that they are not wav files.

I even tried using NUX's own IR format converter, and even files converted to the supposed right format are rejected by the pedal.

And as said I also tried to download and update both the firmware and editor twice, to rule out a software error, and still without getting it work.

I also tried out loading the IR files to different empty user IR slots, to no avail either.

And I think it is safe to rule out the USB cable I use too as the editor as well as the firmware updates otherwise reacts and works flawlessly, exactly as it is supposed to, in every other aspect.

So, as said, I am quite certain my pedal is in fact faulty.

Okay, I solved this issue with the help of the technical support of NUX.

They told me to do the following and it worked for me:

- Rename the converted IR profiles.

- Copy them to a root folder, such as Desktop/NUX IR.

- Ensure that both the file names and paths do not contain any non-English characters.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Matsy Mike said:

Okay, I solved this issue with the help of the technical support of NUX.

They told me to do the following and it worked for me:

- Rename the converted IR profiles.

- Copy them to a root folder, such as Desktop/NUX IR.

- Ensure that both the file names and paths do not contain any non-English characters.

Thanks a lot! :i-m_so_happy:

Works perfectly now.

And it isn't even picky about the IR files not being of the correct resolution otherwise used by the pedal.

However as it turned out I found I actually prefer the stock Ampeg SV212AV IR that I have been using up until now to any of my other 3rd party IR cab sim files. 

But at least it is nice to know that the pedal works as it is supposed to, and that I do have the option, should I want something different than the stock IRs.