Why become a member? ×

80s Covers Band

stewblack

4 hours ago, police squad said:

Jessie's Girl   Rick Springfield

Stand and Deliver....Adam and the Ants

Poison Arrow......ABC

You spin me round.....Dead or Alive  (this goes down a storm)

Just can't get enough....Depeche Mode

Down Under.......Men at Work

A little respect....Erasure

Electric Dreams...Georgio Moroder

Kids in America.....Kim Wilde

Relax and Two tribes....Frankie

Everybody wants to rule the world..Tears for Fears

These are all great songs

If I can bear to carry on (82 has been a difficult trudge) then The FGTH songs will definitely make my shortlist. 

It's really difficult to maintain perspective. As the general standard plummets then passably good tunes seem suddenly amazing by comparison.

As Chris's post illustrates there were some great artists (Talking Heads) but also some absolute stinkers (Robert Palmer, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen) who knows at another point in time, without that awful 80s production, even some of their stuff might have sounded half decent. 

But it's pretty doubtful 

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

....but also some absolute stinkers (Robert Palmer, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen) who knows at another point in time, without that awful 80s production, even some of their stuff might have sounded half decent. 

But it's pretty doubtful 

Stinkers? Mmm. Opinions do very as they say 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stewblack said:

. . . . . . . .  but also some absolute stinkers (Robert Palmer, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen) who knows at another point in time, without that awful 80s production, even some of their stuff might have sounded half decent.

I agree that many of the songs recorded in the 80's could be improved by remixing them and taking away all the silly effects, like the awful drum sounds that were so "cool" back then and IMO ruined many a great track.

I've tried to make a fun, dancey set from '82 that isn't filled (too much) with the obvious stuff. 

Bow Wow Wow - Go Wild In The Country. 

Fun Boy Three feat. Bananarama - It Ain't What You Do (it's the way that you do it). 

Altered Images - I Could Be Happy. 

Depeche Mode - See You. 

Soft Cell - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye/Torch/What (mashup). 

Kraftwerk - The Model. 

Human League - Being Boiled. 

Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling. 

Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day. 

Junior - Mama Used To Say. 

Modern Romance - Best Years Of Our Lives. 

Toni Basil - Mickey

Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes.

ABC - Poison Arrow. 

Associates - Party Fears Two. 

Yazoo - Don't Go. 

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message. 

Wham! - Young Guns (go for it!) 

Duran Duran - Rio

Madness - House Of Fun. 

Pigbag - Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag. 

The Jam - Beat Surrender. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Maude said:

I've tried to make a fun, dancey set from '82 that isn't filled (too much) with the obvious stuff. 

Bow Wow Wow - Go Wild In The Country. 

Fun Boy Three feat. Bananarama - It Ain't What You Do (it's the way that you do it). 

Altered Images - I Could Be Happy. 

Depeche Mode - See You. 

Soft Cell - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye/Torch/What (mashup). 

Kraftwerk - The Model. 

Human League - Being Boiled. 

Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling. 

Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day. 

Junior - Mama Used To Say. 

Modern Romance - Best Years Of Our Lives. 

Toni Basil - Mickey

Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes.

ABC - Poison Arrow. 

Associates - Party Fears Two. 

Yazoo - Don't Go. 

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message. 

Wham! - Young Guns (go for it!) 

Duran Duran - Rio

Madness - House Of Fun. 

Pigbag - Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag. 

The Jam - Beat Surrender. 

That's great!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. Pigbag - haven’t heard that for while. Gonna have to my singles out 😎

Get your DM's and Harrington on and stomp around the living room. 😁

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

@Maude Was Being Boiled released again in 1982? If so which version?

The original version was released on Fast Product in 1978, and then it was completely redone for the Holiday '80 EP and Travelogue album in 1980.

Funny you should say that as when I saw it I thought it was earlier (before they ahem, turned shite). I just compiled a a setlist from a website I found which listed all the UK top ten songs of' 82. 

I've just delved deeper and this is from the ever reliable Wikipedia, 

A stereo remix of the original mono Fast Product version was released as a single in August 1980 through EMI Records, failing to chart. This stereo remix was then reissued in January 1982, this time reaching Number 6 in the UK. 

15 hours ago, Maude said:

Funny you should say that as when I saw it I thought it was earlier (before they ahem, turned shite). I just compiled a a setlist from a website I found which listed all the UK top ten songs of' 82. 

I've just delved deeper and this is from the ever reliable Wikipedia, 

A stereo remix of the original mono Fast Product version was released as a single in August 1980 through EMI Records, failing to chart. This stereo remix was then reissued in January 1982, this time reaching Number 6 in the UK. 

I wonder how "stereo" that version is? IIRC the original was recorded by bouncing between the channels of their two track tape machine (that they also used to provide the live backing) why is why the original release is in mono.

On 26/06/2020 at 18:12, stewblack said:

There's a terrible right wing historian of popular culture who tried to argue that Cliff Richard was more significant and worthy of the attention of posterity than the Sex Pistols. Because he'd sold more records. 

I quietly closed the book and left him to it. 

I saw a program on music, analying the beats, timing and lyrics of music that demonstrated that worldwide, disco was one of the most significant changes of music in the last 50 years, and punk didn't make much of an impact at all, and the difference it made was only temporary in the uk.

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

@Maude Was Being Boiled released again in 1982? If so which version?

The original version was released on Fast Product in 1978, and then it was completely redone for the Holiday '80 EP and Travelogue album in 1980.

I also wouldn't have called it the danciest thing ever. I only remember the travelogue version - I saw them in 1980, I don't recal it being done much different but I don't remember it well anyway

40 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I saw a program on music, analying the beats, timing and lyrics of music that demonstrated that worldwide, disco was one of the most significant changes of music in the last 50 years, and punk didn't make much of an impact at all, and the difference it made was only temporary in the uk.

I don't doubt it. If I hadn't recycled the book I'd find the exact quote to give context. Disco was indeed a hugely significant musical force