Why become a member? ×

Bored of bass. . . .

Dante

I love playing bass, but lately I've been thinking, am I bored?

I feel I need to progress and fast, I don't think I'm that good either and I think this is contributing to it.

When playing with others I end up just mirroring guitar parts and getting bored, I throw in a few other notes but I just don't feel it and think I'm messing it up.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can progress?? play better and feel like a real bassist and not just a bolt-on to the guitarist????

:)

I say keep battling on! I've been playing about 2 years and I think I'm crap, but I've played a couple of gigs and they seemed to go ok! I dont think you'll ever see a massive change over night. I've noticed that things that were hard to play 6 months ago, I can now play. It's incrimental but it gets better/easier!

[quote name='Dante' post='430505' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:09 PM']About a year. . . .[/quote]

I believe there are a whole host of guys and girls who teach bass using the forum, so they're probably better at giving advise then I am.

However, what I'd say is to practice. Play along to your favorite songs at home, throw in some changes while you're practising on your own and don't be scared to make mistakes, get creative or mix it up. I've always thought of bass at the link between the drums and guitar, you have to work with both. Guide the melody. There's tons of advise out there and you're in the right place for it.

Edited by alexharvay

[quote name='alexharvay' post='430520' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:18 PM']I believe there are a whole host of guys and girls who teach bass using the forum, so they're probably better at giving advise then I am.

However, what I'd say is to practice. Play along to your favorite songs at home, throw in some changes while you're practising on your own and don't be scared to make mistakes, get creative or mix it up. I've always thought of bass at the link between the drums and guitar, you have to work with both. Guide the melody. There's tones of advise out there and you're in the right place for it.[/quote]

But what do I do?? follow the guitar?? or the drums??

My friend mentioned something about ''locking in with the drummer'' what the hell does that mean???

I'm really confused,

I've taught myself till now and I'm struggling!!

I desperately want to get better. . . . . . . . .

I good way of getting back on it I would say is joining a band. You get money from it, and have a damn good time playing live too. Other than that it sounds like you just need to explore some avenues of playing that perhaps you haven't been down before.

You've only been playing a year, so you should stick at it. Woodshed, get some practice in and just generally get inspired!

Don't follow anyone! Just spend some time messing around with the bass without any accompaniment - see what riffs appear, see if any lead into any others, then call one a verse, one a chorus and make the guitarist and drummer follow you!

If you have any money that you would have spent on strings, see if there's a teacher that will take it off you in exchange for some wisdom and direction.

Alex

[quote name='Dante' post='430527' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:30 PM']But what do I do?? follow the guitar?? or the drums??

My friend mentioned something about ''locking in with the drummer'' what the hell does that mean???

I'm really confused,

I've taught myself till now and I'm struggling!!

I desperately want to get better. . . . . . . . .[/quote]

Don't follow the guitar. That's the blind leading the blind :)

Follow the drums if you have to follow anyone. How good is your drummer?

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Dante' post='430527' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:30 PM']But what do I do?? follow the guitar?? or the drums??

My friend mentioned something about ''locking in with the drummer'' what the hell does that mean???[/quote]

It essentially means 'playing in time' with the drummer. You're both playing the notes at the 'right time'. You get there by listening to and feeling what the drummer's playing as you're playing.

Practicing with (and recording yourself with) a drum machine would be a good plan.

My friend mentioned something about ''locking in with the drummer'' what the hell does that mean???[/quote]

The rhythm section (you and the drummer) is responsible for setting the ground work of any song, a firm foundation for the lead players to build from. They are the backbone of the band. They create the framework that all the rest is built upon. This handles the roots and rhythm of the song and helps get the groove on track and keep it there for the duration of the song. People cannot sing along with a song they have never heard, but they can dance to it. The rhythm section is generally what people key into first.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='430571' date='Mar 10 2009, 03:02 PM']The rhythm section (you and the drummer) is responsible for setting the ground work of any song, a firm foundation for the lead players to build from. They are the backbone of the band. They create the framework that all the rest is built upon. This handles the roots and rhythm of the song and helps get the groove on track and keep it there for the duration of the song. People cannot sing along with a song they have never heard, but they can dance to it. The rhythm section is generally what people key into first.[/quote]

Cool, sounds difficult. How do I do this???

What do I need to know??

Like you, I haven't been playing bass long either. Here's a few things that have really helped me. Understanding the role of the bass in both the rhythmn and harmony capacities is fundamental. The bass has a dual role in a band. Listening to drums is crucial. Drum and bass are both rhythmn instruments, but the bass is also an instrument of harmony. A chord does not become a chord until you the bass player decide what root note to play. When you practice, always use a metronome or drum loops. Drum loops are the best because you can use the drum fills to construct fills on the bass. The bass players that I like tend to play grooves in the verse and fills mirroring the drums. The bass is really like a mini drum kit but with dozens of little pitched drums!

Forget learning other people's basslines for a while. It is fun but doesn't particularly progress or advance your playing. Writing your own basslines and recording them against drum samples will teach you much more. It is boring but crucial to learn scales, chords, modes, intervals, triads and arpeggios.
So, for example if your guitarist says, in the verse, we play C, F, G major chords...if you know the notes of those chords, you can break them down into major triads or arpeggios by playing the root of the chord, the note that's a major 3rd above and the note that's a major 5th above or even the octave notes. Now you know some notes you can play on top of guitar chords but you don't have to mirror what the guitarist is doing.

Even if you start in one key only and learn these building blocks, it will make a huge difference in being able to construct basslines that complement songs. It isn't always a bad thing for the bass to play the same riff as the guitar a la Geezer Butler style but breaking out of the mould is definitely useful longer term. If you learn as much harmony and chords as you can, including what scales and modes work over what chords, you can do a lot. As long as you hit the right notes when chords change, you can get away with a lot in between.

But - not to be a broken record - keeping time with the drums is key. A poor timekeeping bass player can break a good band and a solid but not very technical player can lift a poor band. Work on rhythmn and when you start hearing where the drummer throws in fills, that's the place to also throw in bass runs.

Buy a cheap keyboard and learn how to play chords and scales. This will teach you about intervals and harmony and the impact upon chords of playing different root notes and building additional notes upon chords.

I have got some useful material I can send you if you send me your email address.

Don't get disheartened, just think about what you can achieve if you step away from learning basslines. Anyone can be a bassline jukebox, but the real joy of the bass for me is the ability to construct basslines that work for different musical styles.

Regards

AM

You are obviously jamming with some mate's and the next step is to get a set together and get gigging. Playing to an audience takes it to another level. Also check out jam/open mic nights that some pubs and music venue's have. Lots of good advice from AM, and as others have said fitting in with the drummer is much more important than the guitars. Listen to the kick in particular.

When you get more confidence you can start playing around the beat but that is another ball game and needs something I dont have, a drummer that wont speed up or slow down when you do it.

Sometimes, a change of format helps. Like going from playing from a 4 string to playing 5 or 6 string basses.

Or going from fretted to fretless.

But no instrument is boring to play if you enjoy the music. Are you enjoying the music you are performing? If not, you know what to do!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='431035' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:44 PM']But no instrument is boring to play if you enjoy the music. Are you enjoying the music you are performing? If not, you know what to do![/quote]

Agreed, you've got to have that spark there. I don't think I'm alone when I say I play my bass every day, not because I feel like I have to but because I want to. I'm sure most people here are the same.

Best advice I can offer mate is to keep it simple. Forget about hundred mile an hour licks, fills and riffs for the time being - they will come with time, but don't forget....thats what the guy with the Strat is there for.

For me, the Bassist is the foundation of the band and as The Funk says, is the one who ties everything together. Have a think about it, you're listening to a live band and;

- The guitarist stops playing - not a great deal changes
- The keyboard guy stops playing - not a great deal changes
- The drummer stops playing - yes, you can't hear them, but the Bassist can still drive the song along and it will still sound 'full'
- The Bassist stops playing - the sound will just die, sound very empty.

Your job is to hold the bottom end down mate, keeping it rock solid and also, everyone else in check. Not sure what kind of stuff you're into, but good examples of these rock solid playing/Drum/Bass partnerships are from the likes of the Chilli peppers (Flea and Chad Smith), Rage against the machine (Tim commerford and Brad Wilk), Queen (John Deacon and Roger Taylor) and Bon Jovi up to 1994 (Jon Alec Such and Tico Torres). Also, might not be your cup of tea, but have a listen to Wet Wet Wet (tracks like Angel eyes, Sweet surrender and Wishing I was lucky). One of the finest Drummer and Bassist partnerships to grace modern music - they will help you a lot. There are thousands of examples for you to listen to which will help you understand what your role as the bassist is, and when this clicks (and it will), a better bassist you will be.

Just seen this thread.
What anne Marie said plus get yourself a good teacher.
Theres only so much you can learn from a book ,a bit of one to one goes a long way.
I've been taking lessons for a year now and the value of being taught really pays for itself.
Its funny how we (as people ) dont like to spend money on ourselves in that way,we think nothing of maxing out a credit card to possibly buy a dream guitar but to pay money on some lessons to get the best out of that instrument requires a different mind set.
A good player will always make a rubbish guitar sound good but a rubbish player will always sound rubbish however good an instrument he or she buys.