Why become a member? ×

Interface Enquiry

Frank Blank

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Gen) interface which is fixed into a wooden studio rack. It sits on a desk and is plugged into an iMac which sits on the rack. Now since lockdown I'm not really using that room as more important work is going on in there and on that computer. I'm usually in a different room on a Macbook talking gibberish on the DofI thread but when not doing so I'm writing a lot of new bass lines. I want to record these to send over to my musical partner. Now I also have Logic Pro X on the machine upstairs but I don't want a) the faff of humping that interface up and down the stairs nor b) the rigmarole in setting it all up for just a few bars of bass. What I need is a small very portable rig that I can have to hand so I can quickly plug the bass into and then into the laptop, or even better the iPad, and record. I've been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo but also at the iTrack Solo. Anyone have experience of such devices or similar? I have a little Roland R-05 recorder that's ok for recording duo rehearsals but it's no good for an un-amplified bass.

As usual any tips on simply recording bass on its own for file sharing with other band members or experience of the devices mentioned or, indeed, any others most welcome. Cheers.

Just bought a solo (I looked at the PreSonus iOne too, but the reviews of the Solo were better and I’m not recording with my iPad or iPhone) and it’s great. TBH, I don’t have anything to compare it to, this being my first USB interface, but the quality seems pukka; I’m glad I went the extra £20.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Just bought a solo (I looked at the PreSonus iOne too, but the reviews of the Solo were better and I’m not recording with my iPad or iPhone) and it’s great. TBH, I don’t have anything to compare it to, this being my first USB interface, but the quality seems pukka; I’m glad I went the extra £20.

Excellent, what software do you record on to?

56 minutes ago, Osiris said:

@Frank Blank, do you still have your Helix Stomp? I think I'm right in saying that you can use that as an interface, although it's not something that I've done myself. 

Damn, yes I do and I meant to mention that in the original post, I’ve not done it but any experiences of using a Stomp as an interface are welcome.

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Excellent, what software do you record on to?

Garageband at the moment, but I'm also keen to check out Ableton as there's a free version available with the Solo.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Garageband at the moment, but I'm also keen to check out Ableton as there's a free version available with the Solo.

Superb. I’m just looking at 30 pin to lightning adapters at the mo because I think the Solo comes with the former.

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Superb. I’m just looking at 30 pin to lightning adapters at the mo because I think the Solo comes with the former.

I'm not massively up on the different interface types, the cable mine came with was USB  A -C (spec here https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_solo_3rd_gen.htm ). 

• Thanks 1

A few points to note from what I've read:

- iTrack Solo will come with a Lightning connector for your iOS device. Previous versions had the 30 pin cable included, however these are legacy units and you should ensure you're purchasing the Lightning connector version. They also come with a standard USB cable for connection to computer.

- Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen has better audio specs than it's previous 2nd Gen iteration, and the iTrack Solo. As such, if iOS recording is not required (ie you're just using a computer), I'd get the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen. Please note, that while not officially supported at this time, Scarlett devices will work with iOS devices as they are 'class compliant', however the bus-powered Scarlett's will require the Apple camera connection kit in order to power them at the same time. Scarlett's have a USB-C connection on them, but come with a cable that connects to a standard USB-A port. They will of course work with a USB-C to USB-C cable if that's the connection on the computer.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions :)

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sibob said:

- Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen has better audio specs than it's previous 2nd Gen iteration, and the iTrack Solo. As such, if iOS recording is not required (ie you're just using a computer), I'd get the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen.

You know what, after reading a few reviews of both I think I'm going with your advice, I'm on the Macbook mostly at the moment and I can go straight into Logic Pro X via the Scarlett Solo, which is even cheaper on Amazon. Thanks for the advice Sir.

• Like 1

Apologies for gatecrashing the thread, but I have a question for @Sibob too 🙂

I've got an iTrack solo at the mo (not sure how old it is), and works fine but I'm getting into it a little bit more seriously.

Is there much to be gained (excuse the pun) by getting a Scarlett solo? Has much changed spec-wise?

Ta!

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Apologies for gatecrashing the thread, but I have a question for @Sibob too 🙂

I've got an iTrack solo at the mo (not sure how old it is), and works fine but I'm getting into it a little bit more seriously.

Is there much to be gained (excuse the pun) by getting a Scarlett solo? Has much changed spec-wise?

Ta!

A fair bit of audio spec improvement has been made between the iTrack Solo and the new 3rd Gen Scarletts, not to mention extra features such as 'Air'.
By 'more serious', it might be worth having a think about what that might mean in the mid-term (ie how many inputs might you want to record simultaneously etc), because you might decide that a few more inputs/outputs might be helpful, even it's just a 2i2 which allows for two Mic/Instrument/Line, as opposed to one Mic and one Instrument/Line that the Solo offers.

Hope that helps, if not, feel free to drop me a PM or facebook message :)

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

A fair bit of audio spec improvement has been made between the iTrack Solo and the new 3rd Gen Scarletts, not to mention extra features such as 'Air'.
By 'more serious', it might be worth having a think about what that might mean in the mid-term (ie how many inputs might you want to record simultaneously etc), because you might decide that a few more inputs/outputs might be helpful, even it's just a 2i2 which allows for two Mic/Instrument/Line, as opposed to one Mic and one Instrument/Line that the Solo offers.

Hope that helps, if not, feel free to drop me a PM or facebook message :)

Si // Focusrite

Thanks, Si - I've just done a bit of research and I think I can see a 2i2 on the horizon... 🙂

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

My first interface was focusrite 2i2 first gen. I sold it now ☹️ it was running off the USB power and it was brilliant. My 18i8 out is better as has improved guitar recording software, but needs main power. 

Anyway, if I ever needed something small I'd choose 2i2 out, never a solo, why?

One mic on amp and one di. Or one di, and one mic for vocals etc. Simple and effective. I can't comment on other brands, but if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!

• Like 1