Why become a member? ×

This months BGM

EBS_freak

What you have to remember is that mags can only review what they are given, although some of the shoddy reviews of late are really inexcusable (like when they reviewed Bentley and commented on the finish - it was not a brand new bass and they knew that).

Looking forward to improvements and hopefully more gear to review.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='425673' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:35 AM']What you have to remember is that mags can only review what they are given, although some of the shoddy reviews of late are really inexcusable (like when they reviewed Bentley and commented on the finish - it was not a brand new bass and they knew that).

Looking forward to improvements and hopefully more gear to review.[/quote]

You've seen/played Bentley in the flesh... and do you see any marks? No, neither do I. All my basses are immaculate... but maybe we should have a second opinion break out box on that.

There's not a shortage of gear to review... lets see if the improvements happen. I want this mag to be good!

I was a little disappointed, the run down of all the p/jazz basses seemed pretty pointless to me, you can find all that info anywhere else without much trouble, but they left a huge hunk of space under each of them that could have been filled with pros/cons and an out of 5 rating easily. they also missed the squier vintage modified J and p basses, which out of experiece, i'd rather have out of any of the others they listed.

Also, what's on the year late review on the BFR stingray? Weren't they announced at winter namm last year? I know the bass cellar have had one for a while now. Some ok interviews though with dave ellefson and paulo gregoletto.

I thought the review of the traben was good too, looks like an interesting bass.
I do think it's a decent mag though, shame it only comes out every couple of months, i've bought the last five issues though :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Machines' post='424959' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:28 PM']Have got this issue but not read it fully yet, however I think they spend far too much time deliberating on the differences between hugely expensive custom basses. There are budget/mid price basses in there, but not many. It comes across as that they are reviewing them more for their own benefit than the average bassist.[/quote]

I dunno, I think high end custom basses have more interesting things to talk about than sub £300 models. Not being snobby, but imagine a car magazine only reviewing cheap hatchbacks and ignoring dream cars which we all like to look at. All reviews of run of the mill budget basses (irrespective of their quality and value) all sound the same, to me. Especially when the magazine reviews are usually always positive.

ped

Personally I can't see the point of most of the sub-£500 reviews. Unless you live completely out in the sticks the sorts of basses they're talking about in this price bracket are on the walls in most music shops. You can go in an play them and make your own mind up, which is far more useful than any review.

Likewise I don't see the point of the £1,200+ reviews as I will never be able to afford one!

There needs to a better balance in the reviews, maybe try to ensure there is a sub £500, a £500-£1200 and a boutique review each issue, so that all price points are covered.

Edited by leonshelley01

[quote name='ped' post='430621' date='Mar 10 2009, 03:47 PM']I dunno, I think high end custom basses have more interesting things to talk about than sub £300 models. Not being snobby, but imagine a car magazine only reviewing cheap hatchbacks and ignoring dream cars which we all like to look at. All reviews of run of the mill budget basses (irrespective of their quality and value) all sound the same, to me. Especially when the magazine reviews are usually always positive.

ped[/quote]Yadda, yadda, where's the doggy pics? :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='425670' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:33 AM']...err... but there's nothing wrong with a top C tuning...? You don't have to have a bottom B just because it is a 5. BGM have got it right in this case, Vic's 5 string bass is strung E-C.[/quote]

You missed the smiley there, I think :)