Why become a member? ×

sub-£300 'spare' bass?

cameltoe

Taking advantage of the finance deals on what with the credit crunch, and thought in the next month or so i'll buy myself a second, 'spare' bass, as I no longer have a spare, and should something go wrong with my P bass, i'd be knackered!

Had my eye on a couple-

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass (like the look of this one)

Squier Classic Vibe 50's precision (love the way this looks, but already have a P bass)

OLP Musicman stingray copy (i quite fancy a real MM, no idea how good a copy these are)

Ibanez SRX 430

Warwick Rockbass streamer

I really need this bass to be 'gigable', and ideally i'd like it to stand up well next to my MIM P bass, which i'm fairly happy with, but may upgrade the pickups at some stage in the future for a liitle extra bite.

I love the way both the Squier's look, but am afraid I might always be comparing them too much to my P bass, and if they don't sound as good it might annoy me.

Comments appreciated!

The Warwick Rockbass Streamer (passive, 2 MEC pickups) has the best tone of all them, by far. Of course, this depends on personal taste. I have one and will NEVER sell it, very few basses I have tried had a comparable tone, even high end ones. The sound guys that worked with my previous bands loved that bass to death, too. It is also the only bass I ever tried that allowed me to cut the treble pot completely and still have an useable tone, without losing any mids/definition. It has a very solid neck, really stable, never had to adjust the truss rod and the action is super-low!

Highly recommended!

I'm a big fan of the Squier Jazz, they are a cracking good bass for the money, as you see from the above reccs its really down to your own personal prefs. I like the Jazz skinny neck and narrow feel, it gives a great range of tones and theres dozens of pickup upgrade choices for later if you want.

I think all of the basses that you listed above would be giggable. If you are looking for something as a backup to your main bass, I'd suggest something that's fairly similar (ie the Squier P) as it will be more use to you if you have to perform an emergency switch.

I also agree with yorick's assessment that Yamahas punch above their weight.

S.P.

[quote name='yorick' post='424724' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:23 AM']Try out the Yamaha BB414. I use one for the more intimate stage size gigs and it's rather spiffing. The P+J pickup arrangement will suit pretty much anything and the neck is really comfortable.[/quote]
+ 1.

Superb bass for the money, better than all the Squiers IMHO (and I´m a Fender fanboi).
Of course if you can find a Japan Fender for less than 300 quid, get it!

I got the Squier modded jazz about a year ago as a back up bass, I've ended up using it for most rehearsals and all but one gig over the last year. Play it most days.

Can't fault it, apart from lack of decent screening. Planning to sort it out soon.

The pickups were ok, but have upgraded to wizards, mostly cos I wanted to, not because it was essential.

I would agree with all of the advice above, but have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz - that's great for the money, with a neck that is way ahead my old MIM Jazz.

I would also have a look for an Ibanez ATK, which you might pick up just within your budget. Fantastic basses for the money.

Edited by simon1964

awesome advice, cheers!

Given me something to think about. I love the look of the Squier VM Jazz, have been a tiny bit put off by finding out the black inlays are painted on, and some people replace the stock pickups, which was the whole point of the bass in the first place! At the same time owning a Warwick could be cool, although I don't think they're the best looking basses.

It will more than likely be brand new, as I was planning on taking up one of the many 0% interest loans that are running everywhere, and getting a new, decent practice amp and Tuner pedal at the same time. Unless I can find an online store which offers finance for second hand instruments and they have something I like!

[quote name='yorick' post='424724' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:23 AM']Try out the Yamaha BB414. I use one for the more intimate stage size gigs and it's rather spiffing. The P+J pickup arrangement will suit pretty much anything and the neck is really comfortable.[/quote]
+1. Very giggable.

I'm still rather taken with the VM Jazz, although the idea of a Classic Vibe Jazz has interested me too, they also look killer! They have the Hi-Mass bridge as well, which is nice. Wish the VM Jazz had a better bridge than the same bent bit of metal I have on my P Bass. Although some people on here would have you believe it makes sod-all difference. Are the Duncan Pickups any good? And when I say 'any good', in comparison to my MIM P bass? Have read reviews where people think they are awesome, and others that ripped them straight out!

The Classic Vibe Jazz and the VM Jazz are made out of different woods, apparently, but i've no idea what difference this will make to the sound?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='425378' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:07 PM']I'm still rather taken with the VM Jazz, although the idea of a Classic Vibe Jazz has interested me too, they also look killer! They have the Hi-Mass bridge as well, which is nice. Wish the VM Jazz had a better bridge than the same bent bit of metal I have on my P Bass. Although some people on here would have you believe it makes sod-all difference. Are the Duncan Pickups any good? And when I say 'any good', in comparison to my MIM P bass? Have read reviews where people think they are awesome, and others that ripped them straight out!

The Classic Vibe Jazz and the VM Jazz are made out of different woods, apparently, but i've no idea what difference this will make to the sound?[/quote]

The Classic Vibe pickups are not bad. In fact, they sound better than the MIM Jazz that I used to own. And you can buy the CV Jazz recently for under £250, so within your budget your could fit a set of Wizrds, Seymour Duncans etc.

found this in the search....

"the Duncan Designed pickups on my VMJ are very hot, the control plate wiring and pots are of very good standard, and there's been a lot of attention gone into the finish of the block inlays, binding and fretwork on the maple fingerboard. They're real block inlays on mine, not painted on."

I thought they would all be painted on? If there are versions out there with real block inlays, I want one of those! Anyone know how to tell (online) which would have painted on and which would have real inlays? Year of production, etc? Or has this guy just been lucky?

[quote name='bassmansky' post='425348' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:43 PM']ive tryed the squier 50's cv and was not overly impressed with the pup.everything else about it was very good imo.change the pup on it and it would be superb![/quote]

I have a classic vibe 50s and although I intended to swap the pick up out its perfectly ok in its own right

Its actually a bit hotter than a fender resissue precision pick up