Why become a member? ×

Show Us Yer TecAmps (Old & New!)

deksawyer

Flanker, the Puma can do exactly that sound - it'll do anything from modern slappy stuff to vintage vibes, and mostly all available using just the 'taste' knob.

I thought I'd miss the Edens big fat sound and expressive EQ, but the Puma 500 has everything I need.

However, I'm gassing for a TC Rebel head (If I like how it sounds I may get one) so keep an eye on the classifieds.

D.

[quote name='Flanker' post='461006' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:45 AM']Knowing my form I'll probably get one anyway and move it on at a loss if it doesn't work![/quote]

unfortunately, it's the exemple of stuff that you could test only (or if you travel a lot) by buying it ...
It's a poker game ... but the one where you've got the 4 1*

[quote]It's a poker game ... but the one where you've got the 4 1*[/quote]

Yes I like what I'm hearing. Just a matter of selling a few bits and checking out prices.

Best prices I've seen were Musik Produktiv. Are they OK to deal with?

(By the way D I'll be looking out for the Puma ad)

[quote name='Flanker' post='461590' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:33 PM']Yes I like what I'm hearing. Just a matter of selling a few bits and checking out prices.

Best prices I've seen were Musik Produktiv. Are they OK to deal with?

(By the way D I'll be looking out for the Puma ad)[/quote]

Never used Musik Productiv myself, though I believe that they have a good rep and are well established etc. They also operate a return policy similar to Thoman, think its 30 days though check their terms and conditions on the web.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm in. So far Well Impressed!

First lightweight that has really satisfied me tone wise and sounds like a bigger, heavier amp!

Sounds great through the Epi and the BagEnd115/AggieDB112.

Great deal and service through BassMerchant. Some Pics..........

[quote name='Flanker' post='474312' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:29 PM']Well I'm in. So far Well Impressed!

First lightweight that has really satisfied me tone wise and sounds like a bigger, heavier amp!

Sounds great through the Epi and the BagEnd115/AggieDB112.

Great deal and service through BassMerchant. Some Pics..........

[/quote]
Has Darren at BM got Tec stuff in now then?

[quote name='Flanker' post='461006' date='Apr 13 2009, 09:45 AM']What type of tone do you like? I'm gassing for a Puma head but just a bit concerned about the tone not being 'big' enough, quick but full is what I'm after with an Epi410UL.[/quote]

So, is that sound you were looking for ?

Edited by flychris

Glad you went for one Flanker!! I can imagine it sounding hooooooge through that Epi cab!! Especialy with the master volume at 1 o clock (fer fooks sake, that must be loud, unless it's an 8 ohm Epi?).

I've never tried Markbass or any other of the other light weight heads, but had a Genz Benz Neo-Pak for less than a week and that sounded (to me) very thin and gutless.

The taste knob is very useful, isn't it!!

Enjoy

D.

flychris
[quote]So, is that sound you were looking for ?[/quote]

Yes it is. Quick, deep and punchy! Really good tone at home anyway so I'll have to see how it sounds in the band. I'm pretty sure it's going to be great tone and it should also be loud enough.

deksawyer

The taste knob reminds me of the Thunderfunk 'Timbre' knob - very effective.

I guess we must play loud. This was me at home yesterday!

The Roscoe seems to be much louder at the same settings than the Skjold but both are plenty loud(even though it doesn't feel right cranking everything too high). The Glockenklang was the same - a very linear increase with switch position but getting silly loud up past say the two 'o clock position. Many other amps I've had were as loud as they were going to get at say 12o'clock.

Really pleased with it. :)

Since last week I own a Puma Tecamp 1000 (2x500w) which I run through an Epifani UL4X10 and a 2x12 (both 4ohm).
I'm really very enthousiastic about the sound and the power.
Every bass I have run through it (from a Wal to a Celinder, etc.) sounds great. No colouration, no dirty mids, no boomy lows.
Just a great basssound respecting the sound of each bass and not sounding too hifi.
I have used the Epifani UL502 during a couple of years. Great amp too but the Puma is more powerful, easy to use and it weighs less than 3 kilograms.
Excellent stuff ...

wombat

[quote]Since last week I own a Puma Tecamp 1000 (2x500w) which I run through an Epifani UL4X10 and a 2x12 (both 4ohm).
I'm really very enthousiastic about the sound and the power.[/quote]

Wow - amazing! I love my Puma but I'll bet that sounds monumental.

I have the Epi410UL and I've agreed to buy Bassguys Tech 212 cab. Now I need a Puma 1000 and I'll be set. What do you reckon to the new BonaFide amp @400w per side into 4 ohm and 800w bridged into one 4 ohm cab. Lots of options.

Fantastic gear!! I'm really excited about the big tone from this light rig. :) :rolleyes: :lol:

• 3 months later...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='480990' date='May 6 2009, 05:52 AM']Since last week I own a Puma Tecamp 1000 (2x500w) which I run through an Epifani UL4X10 and a 2x12 (both 4ohm).
I'm really very enthousiastic about the sound and the power.
Every bass I have run through it (from a Wal to a Celinder, etc.) sounds great. No colouration, no dirty mids, no boomy lows.
Just a great basssound respecting the sound of each bass and not sounding too hifi.
I have used the Epifani UL502 during a couple of years. Great amp too but the Puma is more powerful, easy to use and it weighs less than 3 kilograms.
Excellent stuff ...[/quote]

wombatboter,

I just got a Puma 1000 to use with my Wals...Mark II and III 5-strings. I am actually having a bit of trouble finding a good setting for them. I am running the Puma almost flat with just a bit of Taste at 11AM, rolling the lows to about 11:AM and adding a bit of lo and hi mids to about 1:PM with treble flat. No compression....yet when I pluck harmonics it seems they are getting quite compressed and their bright life is not being reproduced. I have tried the pre and post gain at various levels, although I haven't run the pre higher than about 11:AM. I am using the Puma with an Epi UL410 S1 8 ohm thus the Puma is bridged.

Any pointers you can provide?

I also plugged in my Ibanez Prestige 07 5-string and it sounds fantastic!

Thanks.

Edited by AndroWal

I put nearly every control in the center, maybe add a little bass but the rest is almost flat (taste also in the middle).
Compression is off and every bass I have used sounds great..
Only funny thing is that some basses hardly need any gain (?). Not that I get distorted sounds but the light clips quickly.
Doesn't affect the sound though...
Have used the Tecamp a lot and I get good reactions from the different bands and engineers I work with.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='577440' date='Aug 22 2009, 03:05 AM']I put nearly every control in the center, maybe add a little bass but the rest is almost flat (taste also in the middle).
Compression is off and every bass I have used sounds great..
Only funny thing is that some basses hardly need any gain (?). Not that I get distorted sounds but the light clips quickly.
Doesn't affect the sound though...
Have used the Tecamp a lot and I get good reactions from the different bands and engineers I work with.[/quote]

Thanks very much for your reply and info.

Since posting, I did fall on some settings that work for me. I need to keep experimenting as I do thing it's an amp with much to offer. I concur with how you have yours set....no great inputs, just little adjustments to this and that.

The distributor here in the US actually sent me a demo instead of the new unit I purchased, thus we are in the exchange process and my new one will be here in a week or so. At that time I'll be back with it with fresh ears!

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

The heads change but the cab remains the same...

I'm on a winner with the L410 and the Orange Terror Bass. Had this setup for about 18 months now and it's the happiest I think I've ever been with my sound.

Edited by Dubs

Here are my TecAmp cabs, one M212 and one L410. Both really great cabs with incredible clarity, punch and fullness when given let's say an EBMM Stingray, and still capable of nice warm mellow tones when handling a P-bass with flats. They both handle low B's effortlessly as well. I run the M212 (left in the pic below) with my trusty EBS HD350 head which is fed by an Ampeg SVT-IIp preamp (lovely!). Just got the L410, which will be a perfect match for my 1300W LabGruppen Lab1000 power amp, this also fed by an Ampeg SVT-IIp. The only slight negative I can think of is that the L410 is somewhat bulky (at least the trunk of my car gets pretty full) compared to the M212, but weight wise they are both easily manageable.

• 5 months later...