Why become a member? ×

NBD and first 5 str: Xotic XJ-1T

RichValentine

Bought from Kevsy71 on the forum as I want to expand to a 5string having been inspired by some of the amazing gospel bassists on YouTube.  After reading a lot of good reviews on Talkbass, this was too good pass up:

Xotic XJ-1T 5 string

IMG_20200421_210814.thumb.jpg.b1b6f5a49861e5e055aaee9e119a28d2.jpg

IMG_20200421_210754.thumb.jpg.798d94ae90abf31438930b7bc5dbf7b2.jpg

Initial impression is that it is remarkably easy to play. Ran through some exercises then spent a while practicing sight reading to incorporate the low B. Have to move around fretting hand so much less. 

It sounds great already, and the B isn't floppy at all which is nice. Will post an update in a few more days. Haven't really had any issues with the extra string so far, if anything it might be easier due to the reduced movement! 

Thanks again to Kevsy71 for such an easy sale. 

Edited by RichValentine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic 'first 5er' @RichValentine! I genuinely think the key to a good playing 5 is the 19mm string spacing.

I've gone from Spector (16.5) to Musicman (17.5) and different scales (34 mostly with a 35 from Lakland).

For me, 34" and 19mm is the magic neck measures!

The electronics in Xotic are remarkable and just a generally great looking muscle jazz on steroids - enjoy it mate!

After using the bass for all my playing this week, I am still really enjoying the switch to 5 string, similar string spacing to my 4 string means the switch has definitely been an easy one.

Overall, I really like the sound of the bass although I think I need to explore the EQ options a little more. Tonally not quite as versatile as my Will Lee but I really love the sounds it makes and there isn't much in it.  I have barely picked up the 4 string since getting this bass, and the one time I did it felt like a toy after playing the 5 string neck!

• Like 1